PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met an African Jew????????

reformedct
Jan 9th 2009, 03:05 AM
Every now and then i will hear some random black guy (i am black by the way) say that Jesus was black. Now maybe He may have been darker skinned, but isnt Jesus a Jew? so how could He be black??? wouldnt Jews have looked down on other Jews who married Africans??

Walstib
Jan 9th 2009, 03:39 AM
In a world religion sort of direction, they could be speaking of Rastafarism.

Peace,
Joe

BrckBrln
Jan 9th 2009, 04:28 AM
There are african jews, aren't there? Like in Ethiopia and whatnot?

Bethany67
Jan 9th 2009, 09:38 AM
There are the Beta Israel (formerly known as Falasha) in Ethiopia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falasha

There are also the Lemba in southern Africa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemba

And the Igbo of Nigeria, amongst others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Jews

Romber
Jan 9th 2009, 11:48 AM
Every now and then i will hear some random black guy (i am black by the way) say that Jesus was black. Now maybe He may have been darker skinned, but isnt Jesus a Jew? so how could He be black??? wouldnt Jews have looked down on other Jews who married Africans??

Well, it is entirely possible for Jesus to have been black given the power of genetic variation. However he wasn't exactly born from biological parents so I am guessing God made him look like the people around him.

Every culture says Jesus was the same color as they am. I guess it makes them feel pretty good to have such a similarity with such a great man.

Rullion Green
Jan 9th 2009, 05:25 PM
think it is a group or a cult, that call themselves the black hebrew isralites.

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 12:50 PM
Uhmmmm actually, there are legitimate black Jews... :idea:

Remember the Queen of the South that went to see King Solomon because he was so clever..... and remember the King has a love for many wives...... and that is where the said black Jews come from... Ethiopia .... Lk 11:31 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=42&CHAP=11&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=31) The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Acts 8:27 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=44&CHAP=8&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=27) And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 01:15 PM
That's right; Ethiopians believe the Queen of Sheba bore a son by Solomon called Menelik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menelik_I

Walstib
Jan 10th 2009, 01:34 PM
The possibility of African Jews is one thing, teaching Jesus was African within an corresponding agenda is another.

shepherdsword
Jan 10th 2009, 01:38 PM
That's right; Ethiopians believe the Queen of Sheba bore a son by Solomon called Menelik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menelik_I

The child wouldn't be a jew then by the classic modern definition because they say the mother has to be jewish.

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 02:11 PM
True today, but when did Jews start using the matriarchal line to define Jewishness? Orthodox and Conservative Jews consider a child Jewish if its mother is Jewish; Reform and Liberal Jews consider a child Jewish if either of its parents is Jewish and it is raised as a Jew.

In OT times, they measured Jewishness by the paternal line. By the modern token, strictly-speaking Obed couldn't have been a Jew because his mother Ruth was a Moabite. Rahab (the mother of Boaz) as an inhabitant of Jericho wouldn't have been a Jew either (she was probably a Canaanite), yet both feature in the genealogy of Jesus. I suppose you could argue that both Ruth and Rahab converted to Judaism; they were numbered against the righteous, and modern Judaism does allow for a conversion process.

Moses married a non-Jew, Zipporah the Midianite. He also married an Ethiopian/Cu****e woman (Numbers 12). The Midianites descended from Abraham and his second wife Keturah (her ethnicity isn't known, although some Jewish scholars identify her with Hagar the Egyptian), and by the time of Judges the Midianites were the enemies of the Israelites and were punished by God for idolatry, worshipping Baal-Peor and Asherah.

The Midianites were so far beyond the pale for the Israelites even during the Exodus that when Zimri brought a Midianite woman into the camp, they were killed in flagrante delicto by Phinehas (Numbers 25), thus stopping the plague against the Israelites for consorting with Moabites and Midianites who led them into idolatry. In the time of Ezra, male Jews were required to put away their non-Jewish wives because it mingled the 'holy race' - Ezra 9. These were the Jews who didn't go into exile in Assyria or Babylon, had remained in Israel, and were the ancestors of the Samaritans, who claimed descent from the northern tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh.

gringo300
Oct 27th 2009, 08:16 PM
There are the Beta Israel (House Of Israel) of Ethiopia/Abyssinia.

Radagast
Oct 28th 2009, 12:20 AM
Every now and then i will hear some random black guy (i am black by the way) say that Jesus was black. Now maybe He may have been darker skinned, but isnt Jesus a Jew? so how could He be black???

Jesus would have looked much like a Palestinian in terms of skin colour, I imagine, as did most Jews in Palestine at the time. He wasn't European.

markedward
Oct 28th 2009, 01:49 AM
Every now and then i will hear some random black guy (i am black by the way) say that Jesus was black. Now maybe He may have been darker skinned, but isnt Jesus a Jew? so how could He be black??? wouldnt Jews have looked down on other Jews who married Africans??What's it matter?

webhead
Oct 28th 2009, 03:29 AM
The possibility of African Jews is one thing, teaching Jesus was African within an corresponding agenda is another.

Correct.

1st century Jewish people(his mother was a 1st century Jew) mostly had dark hair, olive toned skin and dark eyes, therefore, Jesus probably had olive toned skin, dark hair and dark eyes. But, there is even a small chance that he was almost anglo-saxon in appearance as from what I understand, Celts had sacked and invaded Rome a few centuries earlier. If some of them stayed behind and "integrated" themselves into the Davidic bloodline, Jesus could potentially have been as pasty white as Conan O'brien.

goykodesh
Oct 28th 2009, 08:43 PM
Well Ruth wasn't a Moabite until she became a Jew, so lots of possibilities exist.

Rth 1:16-17
(16) But Ruth said, "Don't press me to leave you and stop following you; for wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God will be my God.
(17) Where you die, I will die; and there I will be buried. May The LORD bring terrible curses on me, and worse ones as well, if anything but death separates you and me."