PDA

View Full Version : Salted with Fire

Ta-An
Jan 9th 2009, 06:49 PM
Mk 9:49 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=41&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=49) For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

What does it mean to be salted with FIRE??

mikebr
Jan 9th 2009, 08:06 PM
Mk 9:49 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=41&CHAP=9&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=49) For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.

I'm not sure but it will happen to all of us. Eventually!:hmm:

Old Earther
Jan 9th 2009, 09:17 PM
Great question.

To be salted with fire is to be purified, I believe. To be salted with fire is to be baptized by fire, which is to have the carnal nature eradicated.

Ta-An
Jan 9th 2009, 09:56 PM
I know the properties of salt is to penetrate, (for taste) to preserve and to heal.
Fire is also for cleansing Mal 3:2 (Refiners fire) and not only for discarding (??) punishment

RickH
Jan 9th 2009, 10:25 PM
A lot of versions read "tested with fire".

sn The statement everyone will be salted with fire is difficult to interpret. It may be a reference to (1) unbelievers who enter hell as punishment for rejection of Jesus, indicating that just as salt preserves so they will be preserved in their punishment in hell forever; (2) Christians who experience suffering in this world because of their attachment to Christ; (3) any person who experiences suffering in a way appropriate to their relationship to Jesus. For believers this means the suffering of purification, and for unbelievers it means hell, i.e., eternal torment.

, NET Bible, , First ed. (Richardson, TX: Biblical Studies Press, 1996), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Chapter 9".

Old Earther
Jan 9th 2009, 10:33 PM
One thing is clear from the verse:

Everyone will be salted with fire.

Brother Mark
Jan 9th 2009, 11:11 PM

I think salt is often a symbol of grace. We can offer no sacrifice to God unless it is through grace. No grain offering is offered unless it is first salted. Colossians gives a good key when it says that our words should be salted, i.e. sprinkled with grace. Salt is flavorful and makes things tasty. This is an attribute of grace.

Fire test our faith. It is a gracious trial that purifies our faith. To be salted with fire, imo, is to have our faith tested and purified so that grace may grow according to the faith we have.

Along with grace, comes judgment. They are two sides to the same coin. Salt was also used in the OT as a judgment.

We are the salt of the earth, not so much that we judge. But being light and salt, we bring grace and truth to the world. If they reject the grace and light, then all that is left is judgment. Either accept Christ and him crucified (i.e. the salt of grace) or be judged (the salt that will cause the ground to become barren).

Old Earther
Jan 10th 2009, 01:43 AM
MickeyO,

I'm having trouble seeing the connection between the two OT verses you quoted and the two NT verses. Can you expound?

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 12:22 PM
Salt has to do with the judgement of God. Remember Lot's wife turned to a pillar of salt. She was judged. Remember that the sacrifices had to be salted then burned. Fire and salt is many times synonymous with judgement.

Jdg 9:49 And Abimelech fought against the city all that day; and he took the city, and slew the people that [was] therein, and beat down the city, and sowed it with salt.

In the above verse I see "salted" more as a prevention of spreading diseases,.. :hmm: used as a disinfectant..

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you all for your replies... ;)

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 01:39 PM
In the above verse I see "salted" more as a prevention of spreading diseases,.. :hmm: used as a disinfectant..

If you salt the ground, crops cannot grow. It was a warfare tactic to stop the area being used for farming again, and showed its complete ruin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth