PDA

View Full Version : Was Jesus ressurected into an earthly or Heavenly Body?

chad
Jan 10th 2009, 02:34 AM
This afternoon I was reading the ressurection account in Luke and was wondering if Jesus was ressurected into an earthly or heavenly body?

In the below 2 verses it seems Jesus appears to be ressurected into a body, but it resembles his earthly body, but with this body he could dis-apear before them at will.

Luke 24:13-35 - Jesus apears to simon and cleopas.

Luke 24:36-51 Jesus appears to the Apostles.

Where as in the trasnfiguration and accounts in revelation, his body is seen more like a heavenly body?

So I guess my question is :- when Jesus was ressurected was he ressurected into an eartly body or a heavenly body? Or could Jesus transfigure between them, like at the transfiguration on the mount?

Chad :rolleyes:

Joe King
Jan 10th 2009, 03:41 AM

What's with the eye rolling?

My heart's Desire
Jan 10th 2009, 04:12 AM
Just what I think but I think it was His actual earthly body (not sure if it was glorified before ascending) but it definately had different characteristics as you've pointed out after rising from the dead.
Revelation tells about His appearance in a variety of ways, which was after He ascended.
ie the Lamb as if it'd been slain, with 7 horns, 7 eyes, Eyes flame of fire, Lion of Judah. (which could be symbols and decriptions over than just a visual description, as we all know Jesus as being the slain Lamb, the Lion of the tribe of Judah etc).
In another verse also Christ walked with the followers so He must have looked like a man, yet they didn't know who He was until He revealed to them that it was He.

It is kinda of nice to discuss something other than the usual. I've read Ezekiel Chapter 1 many times trying to visualize the vision that Ezekiel saw and it is just amazing.

TrustingFollower
Jan 10th 2009, 04:23 AM
This afternoon I was reading the ressurection account in Luke and was wondering if Jesus was ressurected into an earthly or heavenly body?

In the below 2 verses it seems Jesus appears to be ressurected into a body, but it resembles his earthly body, but with this body he could dis-apear before them at will.

Luke 24:13-35 - Jesus apears to simon and cleopas.

Luke 24:36-51 Jesus appears to the Apostles.

Where as in the trasnfiguration and accounts in revelation, his body is seen more like a heavenly body?

So I guess my question is :- when Jesus was ressurected was he ressurected into an eartly body or a heavenly body? Or could Jesus transfigure between them, like at the transfiguration on the mount?

We know that we are body and spirit and that makes up our soul from Genesis 2:7. So if we were to lose either part of that union would we still be how God made us to be?

Now let's look at the scripture about the resurrection body.

1 Corinthians 15

35 ¶But someone will say, "How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?"

Look further in the same the same book and chapter.

1 Corinthians 15

42 ¶So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;
43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
45 So also it is written, "The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

Look at the part I made bold. The word it which refers to our bodies. If our bodies are a vital part of the make up of our soul then we can say the it is our body. We will get a new imperishable uncorrupted body, but it will look just like what you have already. It is the same body changed, in other words it is our bodies glorified just like Jesus' body was glorified when he was resurrected. We too will be raised in the same body we have now and will be glorified because Jesus is the first fruit of all those that will be glorified.

crossnote
Jan 10th 2009, 06:30 AM
Besides being incorruptible the heavenly body is probably much like the earthly body. We see Jesus eating fish (earthly-like) after the resurrection but also passing through walls and tombs (not earthly-like).

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 10th 2009, 09:19 PM
Besides being incorruptible the heavenly body is probably much like the earthly body. We see Jesus eating fish (earthly-like) after the resurrection but also passing through walls and tombs (not earthly-like).

I agree with Crossnote..

the 'resurrected' body of a believer..... which is 'incorruptible' and 'immortal'..

it is sown in corruption... put into the ground.. but 'raised' incorruptible.. at the sound of His "voice"...

it is sown in dishonour.. but 'raised' in Glory

it is sown in weakness... but "raised in "power".

it is sown as a 'mortal'.... but raised 'immortal'

it is sown as a natural body.... but 'raised a Spiritual body'.

The 'resurrected' body of a BELIEVER will be a body like Jesus's.. after His resurrection... but it will not be 'subject' to DEATH, SIN, OR DISEASE any more... death has no power over it anymore....

Jesus's Bodily Resurrection is the 'first fruit'...

This 'resurrected' body.... the 2nd Death has no power over it nor is it 'subject' to it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalms Fan
Jan 10th 2009, 11:06 PM
From the moment of His conception until all of eternity He has had and will have the exact same body. His body has been glorified, but it is the same one. It was earthly, and it was transformed into Heavenly. But it's the same one nonetheless.

TrustingFollower
Jan 10th 2009, 11:29 PM
From the moment of His conception until all of eternity He has had and will have the exact same body. His body has been glorified, but it is the same one. It was earthly, and it was transformed into Heavenly. But it's the same one nonetheless.
Exactly, I agree 100%

Acts confirms this when Thomas feels the holes in Jesus' hands and side.