PDA

View Full Version : Studying Scripture DAILY

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 02:19 PM
This thread is going to require honesty from folks. Recently, I preached a sermon on this and later might provide that link. It would be a bit lacking without the visual but I will try and explain what we did so when you listen to the MP3 you will understand more clearly. All of that a bit later... let's see how the poll comes out for a while.

I am not looking for morning devotional type stuff or just reading to read. I am talking getting into the Word for the purpose of digging deeper into the truths of God and His ways. Don't fret... I am not dogging devotionals. Just not what I am looking for here. Not dogging "just reading" either. Just not what I am looking for here.

This doesn't have to be ALL at one time. Can be every day throughout the day. Doesn't even have to be EVERY day but if I study one hour on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday then I can easily check 30 minutes. THe average time a week is fine. I also know that most of us don't keep a timer by us when studying... just guestimate and be as honest as you can be in the guess.

The results are private so no one can see your results.

Yukerboy
Jan 10th 2009, 03:06 PM
Daily?

Let me be the first to say I do not daily.

I may grab three to four hours then not again for three to four days.

I voted the poll as I felt was my average daily and encourage others to do the same.

militarywife
Jan 10th 2009, 03:07 PM
Digging deeper I can completely understand. Sadly, even the time I dig deeper probably is not enough.
I cant wait to hear that sermon.:)

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 03:30 PM
Spread over a week, I'd estimate 8-10 hours, but most of those are at the weekend, with the odd stint on weekday evenings once I've done dinner and laundry and boring stuff like that. I try to keep weekends free for that very purpose.

moonglow
Jan 10th 2009, 03:55 PM
Well...how to answer this? I read the bible nearly every day...I don't watch the time though...I wanted to read through Acts on so I am determined to stay on that goal as I tend to get side tracked looking up other things in the bible then I am all over the place...:rolleyes: So in my private offline bible reading I am sticking to that goal..currently I am in Hebrews which I am really enjoying...but online is where I do my more indepth bible studying. I usually do them in response to a topic on the board here...I read commentaries, check lexicons, look up maps if needed, check bible Encyclopedias...and so forth. I don't have the money to buy all these study books so I use what is free online. I know I spend hours upon hours doing this most days. I learn best by interacting with the members on here in these studies then just reading the bible myself alone...though I do think that is important. But I don't know if this counts..if this is what you are looking for or just private time reading offline. Also I like using bible gateway and comparing different translations too in my studies. I won't select anything on the poll until I know more of what you are looking for...

God bless

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 04:00 PM
Well...how to answer this? I read the bible nearly every day...I don't watch the time though...I wanted to read through Acts on so I am determined to stay on that goal as I tend to get side tracked looking up other things in the bible then I am all over the place...:rolleyes: So in my private offline bible reading I am sticking to that goal..currently I am in Hebrews which I am really enjoying...but online is where I do my more indepth bible studying. I usually do them in response to a topic on the board here...I read commentaries, check lexicons, look up maps if needed, check bible Encyclopedias...and so forth. I don't have the money to buy all these study books so I use what is free online. I know I spend hours upon hours doing this most days. I learn best by interacting with the members on here in these studies then just reading the bible myself alone...though I do think that is important. But I don't know if this counts..if this is what you are looking for or just private time reading offline. Also I like using bible gateway and comparing different translations too in my studies. I won't select anything on the poll until I know more of what you are looking for...

God bless
More on the private time. Doesn't matter the means that you privately study... lots of folks use their computer because of the vast amount of resources available on line... would cost a fortune if you purchased it all in print form. Discussion on the forums doesn't count though. While that is somewhat "study"... it really falls a bit short of what I am talking about. :)

Butch5
Jan 10th 2009, 04:15 PM
This thread is going to require honesty from folks. Recently, I preached a sermon on this and later might provide that link. It would be a bit lacking without the visual but I will try and explain what we did so when you listen to the MP3 you will understand more clearly. All of that a bit later... let's see how the poll comes out for a while.

I am not looking for morning devotional type stuff or just reading to read. I am talking getting into the Word for the purpose of digging deeper into the truths of God and His ways. Don't fret... I am not dogging devotionals. Just not what I am looking for here. Not dogging "just reading" either. Just not what I am looking for here.

This doesn't have to be ALL at one time. Can be every day throughout the day. Doesn't even have to be EVERY day but if I study one hour on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday then I can easily check 30 minutes. THe average time a week is fine. I also know that most of us don't keep a timer by us when studying... just guestimate and be as honest as you can be in the guess.

The results are private so no one can see your results.

I posted 1 hour daily, however I usually spend much more time than that. You said, digging deeper, I wasn't sure exactly what would fall under digging deeper. I listen to most of my teaching, so some days I can be listening for hours as I do other things.

Brother Mark
Jan 10th 2009, 04:27 PM
This is a difficult poll for me to answer for there is no concrete time. Sometimes I get up and spend time in worship and reading and devotional. But then, the Lord may speak to me about something in particular and it's off to the races. So one day may be 15 minutes. Another day might be an hour. Yet another day could be 4 or 5 hours. It all depends on what he is saying to me at the moment. Sometimes we eat a snack together (15 minutes) and sometimes we have a four course meal! Most of it is at His discresion and my willingness. Certainly I can't just decide that I am going to spend 2 hours a day reading and digging. For if he's not involved in it, I can hardly spend 5 minutes reading and digging!

Much of this I would think would depend on giftings and callings as well. Those with the gift of teaching will be more inclined to spend more time in the scriptures. IMO, the difference between a layman and a pastor/teacher is that what happens after each gets a nugget. The laymen learned something from God and rejoices as he should! The pastor/teacher, because of his gifting, mines the nugget and looks for the gold mine. I would not expect all to spend the same amount of time in the word.

ServantofTruth
Jan 10th 2009, 04:32 PM
I have posted many times that I believe daily bible study is the best way, if at all possible. Not to read a huge amount, perhaps a chapter, but it is to keep you constantly in the Wisdom of God and as Psalm 1:2 says - But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

This year I'm reading 2 chapters a day (which I did last year) and I've added a Psalm. I read this chapters seperately, to let my mind dwell on each and develope the meaning as I do daily chores.

Each evening I read a different chapter with my eldest 3 sons and we discuss each part of it. At 15 1/2, 14 & 12, they can have a lot to say.

I clicked half an hour thinking of my personal reading, with my joint reading with my children I suppose an hour.

But I also read for fun (terrible expression in this case) in a different translation at bedtimes. I pick a bible book and just read a chapter or 2, but not every night. If my wife is reading a romantic novel, and I can't stand fiction - I feel I might as well be in the Word of God.

This level of reading took 11 years to reach and certainly isn't for all Christians. But I do feel a little and often, is better than reading a whole book once a week. To get that sense of God's Wisdom always being on top of your mind, in your heart and on your lips. Love SofTy.

threebigrocks
Jan 10th 2009, 04:59 PM
Anyone else do that thing where when you can't study, like when you are driving or something, and you have this whole thing in your head and by the time you can sit down and go through it you already have half of it studied? :rolleyes: So when you sit down it's like having the "kicker" revealed in what the Spirit gave you. If I counted that - well, not sure. That's really quite a bit more than sitting with scripture, pen, paper.

Brother Mark
Jan 10th 2009, 05:05 PM
Anyone else do that thing where when you can't study, like when you are driving or something, and you have this whole thing in your head and by the time you can sit down and go through it you already have half of it studied? :rolleyes: So when you sit down it's like having the "kicker" revealed in what the Spirit gave you. If I counted that - well, not sure. That's really quite a bit more than sitting with scripture, pen, paper.

Amen! I have had God give me understanding in 5 minutes then have to go and dig out the scripture for it later. No doubt that occurs. It's like Psalms 1 or Psalms 119 when it speaks on meditation.

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 05:10 PM
If the topic catches me, and I am not pressed for time..... as long as it takes...

On Saturdays there is no limit to time,,,, other days,,, well it depends....

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 05:56 PM
What is the worst for me is when I receive a revelation.... on such a deep level, and I excitedly share that with somebody else, they have no cooking clue what I am about.... and don't even care to try to understand :rolleyes: :cry:

MacGyver
Jan 10th 2009, 08:17 PM
I put 2 hours, which I often get more and sometimes less, but on average 2 hours. I feel it is a blessing that I have managed to have a job that gives me enough freedom to work in some study time, and my wife has been very supportive for me to devote time at home to study without distractions.

I also feel that having the drive and passion to study God's Word is a gift from God. We all have different gifts to serve God, and this happens to be mine. But it is necessary to understand that if anyone has this gift to not get arrogant about it and look down on others who struggle to learn God's Word, because there are those out there that are gifted in helping the poor, visiting the sick, comforting those who lose loved ones, etc. that may not know much about the Bible but I'd probaby be better standing in their shoes when standing at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Another thing, one thing that helps me is to spend some time after studying to just meditate on what I have done

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 08:28 PM
I put 2 hours, which I often get more and sometimes less, but on average 2 hours. I feel it is a blessing that I have managed to have a job that gives me enough freedom to work in some study time, and my wife has been very supportive for me to devote time at home to study without distractions.

I also feel that having the drive and passion to study God's Word is a gift from God. We all have different gifts to serve God, and this happens to be mine. But it is necessary to understand that if anyone has this gift to not get arrogant about it and look down on others who struggle to learn God's Word, because there are those out there that are gifted in helping the poor, visiting the sick, comforting those who lose loved ones, etc. that may not know much about the Bible but I'd probaby be better standing in their shoes when standing at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Another thing, one thing that helps me is to spend some time after studying to just meditate on what I have done
Is it really a gift of God or is it more along the line of desire?

Let me give an example. I desire to win a video game. I will turn on the video game and play it and play it and play it. Hours on end until I master the game and beat the game. I then move on to the next video game that I desire to master. Has nothing to do with a "gift" because I am not gifted at playing that game. It has to do with my desire to beat the game thus I play it and play it and play it and every time... get better and better at the game.

Same can be said of an athlete... student of any subject... shopping... doing make-up, cutting hair... gardening... running... walking... playing an instrument... etc. None of those things I begin doing as a gifted doer of that thing. The more that I desire it the more I do it and the more I do it the more gifted I become. Now... folks can have talents that make them better suited for various desires. Folks can have cordination skills that make them better at various things... but no one just sits down and the piano and all the sudden they play a masterpiece.

Make sense?

Firstfruits
Jan 10th 2009, 08:34 PM
You have not got one for "it depends on what is being studied" which could affect study/reading time.

Firstfruits

karenoka27
Jan 10th 2009, 08:39 PM
I think of the Bible as a treasure chest filled with precious promises and wisdom. But you have to seek after it to find it.
I don't see it as a gift but a responsibility. If we want to know Him,He is there for us to learn and draw closer too. However, He leaves that up to us.

Jerimiah 29:13-"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

I like all kinds of study. I like to just read and then I love topical studies as well. I like to study Greek and Hebrew as much as my brain can take in.

moonglow
Jan 10th 2009, 10:04 PM
More on the private time. Doesn't matter the means that you privately study... lots of folks use their computer because of the vast amount of resources available on line... would cost a fortune if you purchased it all in print form. Discussion on the forums doesn't count though. While that is somewhat "study"... it really falls a bit short of what I am talking about. :)

Ok...well while I read my bible on my own...and do what some on here said, mull over it...I like to go the indepth studying online...not always related to the board either. The problem, I think, in just studying as related to posted threads is I tend to focus on cropped up passages...a few verses here and there...and while that can be ok in a study, I was missing out on really reading it thoroughly in content. Meaning really knowing the whole book and not parts of a book that is why I trying so hard to stay on task in reading through the bible. I also print off material from certain sites as part of my studies that would take too long to read online. I find sitting and reading and reading the bible straight for long periods of time was too much at once for my mind. I was missing too much in not taking the time to meditate over small portions at a time.

Maybe that is something we can all discuss when you get done with your polls ..how to read the bible. I had started in the OT and was reading through it last winter but when I hit the book of Kings with so much so similar again and again and again I started losing focus big time. :( So I had to rethink about how to go about studying/reading the bible. I took a break for awhile and read some other books related to the bible then started over in Acts to read through to Revelation, then I will probably go back to Kings and start over on that again.

God bless

markedward
Jan 10th 2009, 10:31 PM
I'd say three hours on a day when I'm not swamped with schoolwork. Otherwise it's about ten minutes to half an hour a day (this, admittedly, is if I count in reading articles or books that directly deal with Scriptural study). I checked off two hours for an average.

Psalms Fan
Jan 10th 2009, 11:20 PM
I have a hard time answering because I think you are defining "studying" too narrowly, as if "true studying" is strictly an intellectual and scholarly endeavor. I disagree with that. Now, I agree that looking at dictionaries and lexicons has great merit, but it's not about how many facts we know - it's about how it's drawing us into deeper communion with God. So I think that "merely reading" can (and usually does for a lot of people) be of much greater value than "digging deep" can for a lot of people.

So I would consider whatever is drawing you into deeper communion with God to have the greater value. And regardless of how "deep" I dig (it varies), I'll normally devote 30-60 minutes a day to it.

MacGyver
Jan 10th 2009, 11:26 PM

Let me give an example. I desire to win a video game. I will turn on the video game and play it and play it and play it. Hours on end until I master the game and beat the game. I then move on to the next video game that I desire to master. Has nothing to do with a "gift" because I am not gifted at playing that game. It has to do with my desire to beat the game thus I play it and play it and play it and every time... get better and better at the game.

Same can be said of an athlete... student of any subject... shopping... doing make-up, cutting hair... gardening... running... walking... playing an instrument... etc. None of those things I begin doing as a gifted doer of that thing. The more that I desire it the more I do it and the more I do it the more gifted I become. Now... folks can have talents that make them better suited for various desires. Folks can have cordination skills that make them better at various things... but no one just sits down and the piano and all the sudden they play a masterpiece.

Make sense?Like faith, a hunger and thirst for the Word of God is a gift as well a human act. Using a video game as an example to studying theology is insufficient, because the desire to reach another level on pac man is nothing more than the desire of the human will, whereas someone who has a burning desire to dig into God's Word and even willing to die for it if necessary goes beyond a human desire. People have risked their lives and even have layed their lives down just to sneak and read the Bible while under tyranny.

I can testify to the fact that my desire and passion for studying the Word of God is a gift. I hated school all my life, I hated reading and did not really know how to study, and barely graduated high school. But when I started reading the Bible I could not get enough. I went on to learn Greek, studied Hebrew, Aramaic, and Latin, went to a Bible institute, developed a very good library at home for my studies, and I have a website with lots of resources that I share with people; and that is not just the human will of AKA MacGyver.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:35 PM
I have a hard time answering because I think you are defining "studying" too narrowly, as if "true studying" is strictly an intellectual and scholarly endeavor. I disagree with that. Now, I agree that looking at dictionaries and lexicons has great merit, but it's not about how many facts we know - it's about how it's drawing us into deeper communion with God. So I think that "merely reading" can (and usually does for a lot of people) be of much greater value than "digging deep" can for a lot of people.

So I would consider whatever is drawing you into deeper communion with God to have the greater value. And regardless of how "deep" I dig (it varies), I'll normally devote 30-60 minutes a day to it.
Notice that I didn't mention commentaries and dictionaries and word studies etc. ;) I'm not concerned in the how one does this... just the "does" on do this and how much. The how is often different strokes for different folks. It is about communion with God... I suppose tomorrow I'll post the sermon links... spoke about that very thing a Sunday or so ago. :)

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:42 PM
Like faith, a hunger and thirst for the Word of God is a gift as well a human act. Using a video game as an example to studying theology is insufficient, because the desire to reach another level on pac man is nothing more than the desire of the human will, whereas someone who has a burning desire to dig into God's Word and even willing to die for it if necessary goes beyond a human desire. People have risked their lives and even have layed their lives down just to sneak and read the Bible while under tyranny.

I can testify to the fact that my desire and passion for studying the Word of God is a gift. I hated school all my life, I hated reading and did not really know how to study, and barely graduated high school. But when I started reading the Bible I could not get enough. I went on to learn Greek, studied Hebrew, Aramaic, and Latin, went to a Bible institute, developed a very good library at home for my studies, and I have a website with lots of resources that I share with people; and that is not just the human will of AKA MacGyver.Actually I gave many examples that would fall under the same thing... not just video games! ;)

Tell me this though... human desire is what often gets in our way of most things God. Right? That would be my point when I say it isn't a time issue or a "just not my thing" issue... doesn't even require a gifting. If one desires something then that is what they do or attempt to do. I'm not trying to downplay a gifting... not at all. Just not sure that I can find anything where there was a gifting to read the Word. David desired it... it shows in his writings. When you read of a lot of the prophets of old you read of their desire for God's word and to do His will. I suppose we can call that a human thing but nevertheless a thing it is and a thing that often times drives us... good or bad. I certainly didn't mean to hyperspiritualize it... hence using the video game example. It was simply a point to ponder.

Rest assured... if we had a desire to know the things of God then I suspect we'd dig for those things. The Word happens to be a very good place to do that. That's all. ;)

MacGyver
Jan 10th 2009, 11:57 PM
Actually I gave many examples that would fall under the same thing... not just video games! ;)

Tell me this though... human desire is what often gets in our way of most things God. Right? That would be my point when I say it isn't a time issue or a "just not my thing" issue... doesn't even require a gifting. If one desires something then that is what they do or attempt to do. I'm not trying to downplay a gifting... not at all. Just not sure that I can find anything where there was a gifting to read the Word. David desired it... it shows in his writings. When you read of a lot of the prophets of old you read of their desire for God's word and to do His will. I suppose we can call that a human thing but nevertheless a thing it is and a thing that often times drives us... good or bad. I certainly didn't mean to hyperspiritualize it... hence using the video game example. It was simply a point to ponder.

Rest assured... if we had a desire to know the things of God then I suspect we'd dig for those things. The Word happens to be a very good place to do that. That's all. ;)I understand what your saying. Regardless of how we catergorize it, whether gift, desire, or both, all I know is that most of the research and study that I have done over the years was not something that is typical for my personality, and I really don't feel right taking credit for something that I feel God has provided me with. We probably have the same idea in mind but using different vocabulary.;)

Brother Mark
Jan 11th 2009, 12:08 AM

Yes. ;)

Not everyone has a desire in them to do video games. or athlete or any other thing. The apostles had deacons to do things they were gifted in so they could spend more time in the word. Stephen was a deacon and of course he preached. So all can study the word but not all will study it to the same depths because of giftings. If all were the hands, where are the tongues?

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 12:17 AM
I know of few people (I suspect there are some) that have no desire to do anything. The examples I gave were just examples of natural things that I know folks desire. Hopefully my point doesn't get lost in semantics.

Naturally a teacher will desire to get into the depth of Scripture deeper than another. Naturally an apostle, pastor, etc would too (should anyway). As stated (perhaps it was in this thread) I am not speaking of method but communion with God. Scripture is one way that we accomplish this. Not the only way... just one way of several.

If one has no desire for the Word of God... would we think that healthy?

Psalms Fan
Jan 11th 2009, 12:26 AM
Notice that I didn't mention commentaries and dictionaries and word studies etc. ;) I'm not concerned in the how one does this... just the "does" on do this and how much. The how is often different strokes for different folks. It is about communion with God... I suppose tomorrow I'll post the sermon links... spoke about that very thing a Sunday or so ago. :)

I certainly didn't mean to misread you or put words into your mouth.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 12:33 AM
I certainly didn't mean to misread you or put words into your mouth.
Oh... not a problem. Just gave me reason to clarify. ;)

Brother Mark
Jan 11th 2009, 12:34 AM
If one has no desire for the Word of God... would we think that healthy?

If one has no desire for the Word of God, he has no faith. For faith only comes by hearing God speak, through his word or otherwise. Now, if one has faith in God but no desire to read, perhaps he is wounded, or deceived, or lost, or some other thing. But for sure, there is a problem if no desire to commune with God exists.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 12:37 AM
If one has no desire for the Word of God, he has no faith. For faith only comes by hearing God speak, through his word or otherwise. Now, if one has faith in God but no desire to read, perhaps he is wounded, or deceived, or lost, or some other thing. But for sure, there is a problem if no desire to commune with God exists.
So the flip-side... if one has that desire then where are they going to go? Again... Scripture is but one way of several but one way that is rather large. ;) I am not talking about folks that can't read and whatnot like that. I know that is a problem in some places and with some people... but I don't figure any of them are posting here on the message board and all. :lol:

Brother Mark
Jan 11th 2009, 12:45 AM
So the flip-side... if one has that desire then where are they going to go? Again... Scripture is but one way of several but one way that is rather large. ;) I am not talking about folks that can't read and whatnot like that. I know that is a problem in some places and with some people... but I don't figure any of them are posting here on the message board and all. :lol:

Jesus asked Peter "Will you leave me too?" and Peter said "Where can I go Lord? You have the words of life."

If one has no desire for the words of life, there is indeed a deep spiritual problem.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 12:50 AM
Yes... there is indeed.

Brother Mark
Jan 11th 2009, 12:55 AM
Yes... there is indeed.

Before I got saved, I read the bible to learn just doctrine and have my philosophical mind tickled. I enjoyed the argument, the knowing, the debate, etc. But reading was boring unless I was trying to convince myself or someone else about something.

After I got saved, I read the bible to know Him and to hear what he had to say to me personally. Before I was saved, I read it like a pharisee. Afterwards, it became life to me because He would make the word come alive. The word begin to mean something to me in a personal way and it applied to my every day circumstances and it changed my heart.

There have been times in my life when I wanted to quit and walk away from God. But always came the word "Where can I go? You have the words of life." He is Life. I can't live without Him or hearing Him.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 12:59 AM
Tis a very good point. There is reading and then there is wanting. Reading to read for reading sake (simply knowledge) is not uncommon but in the end it means little. Reading because of hunger (desire)... much beauty in that!

Biastai
Jan 11th 2009, 06:22 AM
Couldn't really answer the poll accurately. I feel daily reading isn't effective for me personally. I read it all in one big lump over a couple months time each year. My mind seems to respond better to sowing all the seed at once and letting it lie fallow for some time.