PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do you Pray Daily?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:05 PM
Same as the how often you Study Scripture Daily.

militarywife
Jan 10th 2009, 03:08 PM
Im already feeling the conviction.

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 03:37 PM
Usually 15 minutes each way on the train commute, and some more time in bed at night. I want to do more though, not because I feel I ought to in a legalistic sense to tick a box, but because if I treated my husband the way I treat God, he'd leave me! Relationships need nurturing if they're going to grow, and this area is probably the one where I face the greatest challenge. Our house is chaotic 6am-7am with bodies milling around all over the place, so early nights and 5am rising are probably the best way for me to go on this. I'm often awake by then, but it's so easy to waste that time checking emails etc. I've found something very special in sitting in my armchair in the early morning praying while it's still dark and even the cats are asleep, and even better in the garden in summer with the sun rising. I'm at my best in the mornings.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 04:04 PM
Usually 15 minutes each way on the train commute, and some more time in bed at night. I want to do more though, not because I feel I ought to in a legalistic sense to tick a box, but because if I treated my husband the way I treat God, he'd leave me! Relationships need nurturing if they're going to grow, and this area is probably the one where I face the greatest challenge. Our house is chaotic 6am-7am with bodies milling around all over the place, so early nights and 5am rising are probably the best way for me to go on this. I'm often awake by then, but it's so easy to waste that time checking emails etc. I've found something very special in sitting in my armchair in the early morning praying while it's still dark and even the cats are asleep, and even better in the garden in summer with the sun rising. I'm at my best in the mornings.
An example that I gave in a sermon Bethany... We love the song (my church happened to sing it that day) "What A Friend We Have in Jesus"... my point to them was that if we had a "friend" that communicated with us the way we communicate to God... we'd likely not count them much a friend.

How many of us have friends or family that only seem to call when there is a problem? How many call only when they want something? Do we truly count them as a friend or just a pain in the backside that we have to deal with because in some way we are acquainted with them? Something to ponder I suspect. ;)

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 04:08 PM
Indeed. I'm 'off duty' tonight as DH is going out; I've already fed him and mucked him out and approved his new haircut, so the rest of the day is mine, and I shall retire to the bedroom soon for some quality time with God.

moonglow
Jan 10th 2009, 04:21 PM
Possibly because of the situation with my son starting when he was a baby, I learned to pray without ceasing...before then I did what alot of people do, have set times for prayers...usually at bedtimes and maybe once or twice a day like if I heard about a need. The situation though with my son was very bad and as I said I learned to pray without creasing...so as the years went by I learned to just make God part of my ongoing train of thought...its kind of difficult to explain. I have my directed focused prayers..the 'Dear Lord please watch after so and so and ease their pain' type of prayers that go on through the day as I remember those who need prayers...I pray for my son off and on throughout the day especially when he is in school...but mostly I just talk to Him...prayer, in my understanding talking to Him. Its like my thoughts are not just my private thoughts..they are consciously open to Him. And sometimes He pops in with His own thought on something I am thinking...:lol:

Like the other day I had a muslim hit one of my Christian video's on youtube and well, he just really made me mad! I talk to God as I deal with people like him...and I knew I wasn't handling it well...and I am still talking to God about what all happened and He is still giving me feedback on it though this discussion with the muslim is over....I just include Him in everything...its kind of neat though cause it like having a councilor in your head...:lol: And I talk to Him while doing boring everyday things too..I think about steward ship...taking care of what He has given us. I talk to Him while dealing with my son also! Things were just that intense when my son was younger and the problems were so bad...I had nothing to turn too but God...He became my anchor and is now ingrained to me.

I also have my very one on one time with Him where I go to my room and put on my headphones ..the music is lovely and I just worship Him in spirit that way. Though I don't know if that counts as prayer..

Sorry I know this makes no sense and probably sounds sort of weird.....I just don't know how to explain it.

God bless

Brother Mark
Jan 10th 2009, 04:23 PM
I hope this doesn't come out wrong. I pray all the time. It's a continual thing.

threebigrocks
Jan 10th 2009, 04:50 PM
Counted my time as simply me and God time, although I'd like to think that I don't go about my day without Him by my side and pray often.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 10th 2009, 07:02 PM
Continually without ceasing... when I'm awake and not sleeping...

always praying in that secret place... that 'closet'.. whether it be a literal closet or when out in public.. the 'inner man'...

Praying with my mind and/or praying in the Spirit (Holy Ghost)

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 10th 2009, 08:35 PM
Measuring prayer with a clock? I don't get it.:confused

karenoka27
Jan 10th 2009, 08:42 PM
First thing I usually do is get a cup of coffee, and read my Bible. Then I sit quiet before the Lord for awhile. I put on soft music and it helps keep my thoughts from wandering about what I have to do for the day. I lay my requests before Him.
I too talk with Him throughout the day..sometimes thanking Him,sometimes confessing, and always ready to pray with others should my phone ring or someone come over or on these threads.

He hears and He cares.

humbled
Jan 10th 2009, 08:45 PM
If you mean "officially, on your knees with your hands together" prayer:

zero

If you mean "pray without ceasing and speak to God about everything throughout the day in thoughts and quick acknowledgments that He is sovereignly controlling everything in my life" prayer:

without ceasing

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 09:08 PM
Oh shoot! I read this wrong. I for some reason thought it said "too often to count!!" hahahaha
sorry :blush: speedy fingers got the best of me!
i would also say "with out ceasing" i am in a perpetual state of speaking with God.

Gregg
Jan 10th 2009, 10:00 PM
Formal prayer, just minutes several times a day or as needed. Talking to God, a lot during the day. I have several hours of driving time that are spent in talking to God, listening to Christian radio, or talking to several brothers in Christ on the cell phone. Mornings include some prayer, some reading, and some time in here. Lunches two to three times a week are spent reading the Bible or some other teaching book while I eat. I try to stop in here each night. Tuesday nights are Christian based 12 step programs where I help lead as well as get filled up. They run about 6:30 to 9:00.

Veretax
Jan 12th 2009, 01:30 PM
I know I don't pray enough lately. Prayer has been a real difficult thing for me, and I'm not sure why that is. When I was younger I prayed constantly it seemed and it was studying God's word that I struggled with, now it seems to have reversed a bit.

I picked 30 minutes, but I can't really quantify it because every day is different, and even lately I find myself saying quiet prayers while driving, or in a store, not when I'd usually get on my knees to do it in the morning or evening.

ProjectPeter
Jan 12th 2009, 01:49 PM
You can listen to the two messages that I preached here. It is the top blog post... two parts which are really two Sunday sermons.

http://projectpeter.blogspot.com/

Veretax
Jan 12th 2009, 02:20 PM
I will have to check those out from home.