PDA

View Full Version : Do You Fast?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:08 PM
How often do you fast?

Yukerboy
Jan 10th 2009, 03:23 PM
I was going to start a thread on fasting later, you thunder stealer.

I have never fasted. It is not a requirement, but I have no option to vote for. I do not think that it is something we no longer do. Matter of fact, I think it is good to fast. The fact then remains, I still have never done it, or when I did not eat, it was not for spiritual reasons.

Paul never mentions fasting, but Christ certainly did in saying they will fast when the Bridegroom is no longer with them.

I can say then "but Christ is with us now", yet the disciples fasted when they were worshipping and Barnabas and Saul were set for the work.

So, I find no reason to fast and certainly no requirement, yet I find an inner desire to do so. Does that make sense?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:27 PM
I was going to start a thread on fasting later, you thunder stealer.

I have never fasted. It is not a requirement, but I have no option to vote for. I do not think that it is something we no longer do. Matter of fact, I think it is good to fast. The fact then remains, I still have never done it, or when I did not eat, it was not for spiritual reasons.

Paul never mentions fasting, but Christ certainly did in saying they will fast when the Bridegroom is no longer with them.

I can say then "but Christ is with us now", yet the disciples fasted when they were worshipping and Barnabas and Saul were set for the work.

So, I find no reason to fast and certainly no requirement, yet I find an inner desire to do so. Does that make sense?
I just had Jennifer make a new option to cover that. :)

Sure it makes sense. Where do you think that inner desire comes from?

tt1106
Jan 10th 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm going to try it soon. I've never done it, but I've wanted to start for awhile.

reformedct
Jan 10th 2009, 04:17 PM
i have fasted, but right now, because my relationship with God is so new, im just focused on reading my Bible and finding out about God. So far God has blessed me to not have any serious tragedies or major events in my life where i was compelled to fast. All i know is that God doesnt want me to fast just because the Bible says but He also wants me to fast because I love Him. At this time i have not been fasting much simply because i am still learning about my God

Brother Mark
Jan 10th 2009, 05:26 PM
I fast mostly when God puts it on my heart to do so or when things are bad and I need to hear Him.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 10th 2009, 05:59 PM
I fast today when God leads me to .. His Spirit will move me to.. I've also fasted when I've made a personal decision to do it.. whether its to get an answer on problem going on or in a spiritual warfare conflict. Jesus taught when you do fast.. dont announce it to everybody and put on a sad face like ur doing something great.. but He taught to wash thy face.. annoint thine head , and do it secretly .. then the Father who 'sees' in secret will reward you openly...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

RogerW
Jan 10th 2009, 06:11 PM
How often do you fast?

Hi Ken,

How would you interpret the following passage, especially what I have highlighted?

Isa 58:3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
Isa 58:4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Many Blessings,
RW

cheech
Jan 10th 2009, 06:13 PM
I usually fast half a day for intercessory prayer. Now due to another ministry we are in, we will be fasting more. Right now it's once a week from 6am-6pm.

Ta-An
Jan 10th 2009, 06:15 PM
If the situation requires fasting and G_d asks it of me.... when there is ministry to be done...

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 09:24 PM
I voted "every now and again....", but it's been a while. It's odd how it should pop up now that I am considering it again. I never really fast looking for something specific, just a better sight of my path I guess you could say....

Studyin'2Show
Jan 10th 2009, 09:30 PM
I chose the every now and again answer though it's not only if I'm looking for something specific. Sometimes I will just feel led to fast. I feel that it's about teaching your body that it is not in control, your spirit is. My hubby and I have worked with youth for almost 10 years and one of the yearly events that the kids love is the '30 Hour Famine' (http://www.30hourfamine.org/) (sponsored by World Vision - a Christian humanitarian organization) They spend 30 hours without eating to raise money for starving children around the world and to collect food and clothing for those in need locally. It really has been an amazing event for the youth group yearly. I don't mean to derail the topic. :blush: I think to many see fasting as a difficult thing so they never do it but God always gives me the strength to get through whatever length of fast He leads me to do.

God Bless!

Slug1
Jan 10th 2009, 09:32 PM
I usually fast when the Holy Spirit leads me to fast and also those times to seek God's will. Now, it's once a week as God has instructed the members of a ministry I'm a part of to fast once a week, so that is my vote for now.

BadDog
Jan 11th 2009, 01:25 AM
Didn't see "I don't fast at all because I like to eat too much." So I picked #2.

BD

amazzin
Jan 11th 2009, 01:32 AM
For to fast means to "forgo" something. Usually it is food but when health issues are present that I forgo Internet or TV or something that usually occupies my time in order to focus on Jesus and pray.

Now, don't get me wrong because anyone who knows me, also knows I fast regularly and with intention and purpose to see breakthrough and prayers answered. To fast food is one of the greatest experiences one could have because you learn to conquer and fight through stomach pains for food. The body has a funny way of telling you to fed it and to be able to control that and replace it with God, is one of the most fabulous experiences you can have.

Remember, fasting means to forgo something,....what will you forgo to focus on Jesus!

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 01:32 AM
Didn't see "I don't fast at all because I like to eat too much." So I picked #2.

BD
Why do you think it is something that we are to no longer do?

Dani H
Jan 11th 2009, 01:47 AM
Where is the "I fast when God tells me to but not on a specific schedule" option?

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 01:52 AM
Where is the "I fast when God tells me to but not on a specific schedule" option?
Depends on how often God tells you tofast. ;)

On that note... does God have to tell us to fast before we fast?

Brother Mark
Jan 11th 2009, 01:54 AM

Not at all! However, I have found more grace for fasting when God tells me to do so. Still, there are times when fasting is just a good thing to do. It is a humbling experience and, IMO, helps us to hear God more clearly.

BadDog
Jan 11th 2009, 03:56 AM
Why do you think it is something that we are to no longer do?I don't Peter. If you read my post again, I thought I made it clear that the best choice for me wasn't there, so I just picked one.

I don't fast because I like to eat, not because I don't think we're supposed to do it any longer.

People still fast and pray. When I was on staff with the Jesus Film Project, that was something done fairly often there. I'm really just trying to be humorous. I have seen some people for whom fasting was a big deal, and who took pride in fasting until they saw an answer. Once a person fasted for 40 days. I don't want to judge someone's motives, but in some cases I wonder what they're thinking.

Jesus certainly placed a great premium on faith. He wants us to trust Him. IMO fasting ought to be done so as to help us purify our motives and our spiritual focus.

But the only time I've fasted was when my spiritual leader encouraged us to do so concerning some serious issue we were facing. But even then, I still drank liquids - juice, etc.

BD

Dani H
Jan 11th 2009, 04:19 AM

I very often fast and don't even notice it because I'm so burdened with whatever is happening at the moment and tied up in prayer and intercession. I see that as "God calling me to fast" because really, it's Him controlling the situation even though I'm not even aware. There was a long time I fasted regulary on a schedule (once a week), but these days it just ... happens. Hard to explain. And don't get me wrong, I do believe in fasting in order to seek God and forget about the pulls of food and other such things, and put Him first. God has changed so many things about my life over the years, it's hard at times to put it all into neat little boxes because there just aren't any, anymore.

ed0526
Jan 11th 2009, 05:10 AM
I love to fast, but I usually do once a year before Easter. I would like to start fasting more often and hopefully I will soon. Great thread!!:)

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 01:31 PM
I don't Peter. If you read my post again, I thought I made it clear that the best choice for me wasn't there, so I just picked one.You picked that one... I do find that interesting.

I don't fast because I like to eat, not because I don't think we're supposed to do it any longer.

People still fast and pray. When I was on staff with the Jesus Film Project, that was something done fairly often there. I'm really just trying to be humorous. I have seen some people for whom fasting was a big deal, and who took pride in fasting until they saw an answer. Once a person fasted for 40 days. I don't want to judge someone's motives, but in some cases I wonder what they're thinking.

Jesus certainly placed a great premium on faith. He wants us to trust Him. IMO fasting ought to be done so as to help us purify our motives and our spiritual focus.

But the only time I've fasted was when my spiritual leader encouraged us to do so concerning some serious issue we were facing. But even then, I still drank liquids - juice, etc.

BDThat is a fine reason to fast. What if God told them to fast for 40 days? What if they wanted to purify their motives and spiritual focus... I mean what with your not wanting to judge... you sort of did just that albeit softly. Is it the time that seems freaky?

BadDog
Jan 11th 2009, 02:35 PM
You picked that one... I do find that interesting.

That is a fine reason to fast. What if God told them to fast for 40 days? What if they wanted to purify their motives and spiritual focus... I mean what with your not wanting to judge... you sort of did just that albeit softly. Is it the time that seems freaky?

There were only 2 choices for not fasting! I could say it was for medical reasons, hmmp, that certainly didn't fit instead. You didn't give me an option, and I came online and explained what I had selected actually and why.

Now I refuse to debate with you about the motivations for the person in question - didn't want to do that in the first place.

I was just trying to be humorous. Most people do not fast simply because they like food. :P Thought it was worth mentioning.

BD

moonglow
Jan 11th 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't...can't due to medical reasons. I did once years ago for four or five hours...that was all I could handle and for me that is a long time! I have low blood sugar and get very shaky, weak, tired if I don't eat to keep my blood sugar up. In discussions on here on fasting I learned it doesn't have to be food...but it can be other things we can give up for awhile.

I had a friend who's dad ended up in the hospital due to fasting for 30-40 days..he was just too old and his body couldn't handle going that long. I would have been dead before that...:cool:

God bless

Ta-An
Jan 11th 2009, 05:39 PM
For to fast means to "forgo" something. Usually it is food but when health issues are present that I forgo Internet or TV or something that usually occupies my time in order to focus on Jesus and pray.

Now, don't get me wrong because anyone who knows me, also knows I fast regularly and with intention and purpose to see breakthrough and prayers answered. To fast food is one of the greatest experiences one could have because you learn to conquer and fight through stomach pains for food. The body has a funny way of telling you to fed it and to be able to control that and replace it with God, is one of the most fabulous experiences you can have.

Remember, fasting means to forgo something,....what will you forgo to focus on Jesus!So in other words..... I can forgo alcohol to focus on Yeshua, or I can forgo on chocolate to focus on Yeshua..?? :hmm: :idea:

Romber
Jan 11th 2009, 05:49 PM
The only time I go without food is when I need to make weight for wrestling :lol:

Gregg
Jan 11th 2009, 05:51 PM
The problem I have with fasting to get answers to prayer, is that for me personally (with my addictive personality) is that I am afraid it would have a negative effect on my non fasting prayer life. It could become, if it is not worth fasting over it is not worth praying about. One of the issues that I carry around from my past life of bad choices combined with having an earthly father that was a perfectionist, is that I really want to get things right. And while I fasted for a day (felt led) about two months ago, I really enjoy my new found communication with God as it is. I should also mention that I need to lose weight and do not want fasting to be part of that program (unless of course He would want that). So for now, I am not opposed to fasting, I am just not led to it at this time.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2009, 10:01 PM
There were only 2 choices for not fasting! I could say it was for medical reasons, hmmp, that certainly didn't fit instead. You didn't give me an option, and I came online and explained what I had selected actually and why.

Now I refuse to debate with you about the motivations for the person in question - didn't want to do that in the first place.

I was just trying to be humorous. Most people do not fast simply because they like food. :P Thought it was worth mentioning.

BD
I see.

As to the person in question (the ones you mentioned).. Just curious because when you added the comment after the "but"... you did it in the "first place." Funny how that works! ;)

FaithfulSheep
Jan 11th 2009, 10:06 PM
I fast when I felt led to fast. I don't think I could say it is every month, although some times it may be more than once in a month. Sometimes it may only be for a day, other times it is for three.

MercyChild
Jan 11th 2009, 10:29 PM
I have never fasted before, and is busy reading on it, for a couple of days now. Sure would like to try it.

Slug1
Jan 12th 2009, 01:15 PM
So in other words..... I can forgo alcohol to focus on Yeshua, or I can forgo on chocolate to focus on Yeshua..?? :hmm: :idea:I'm still waiting for the leading of the Holy Spirit to allow me to fast all food except chocolate for a day, or two ;)

Veretax
Jan 12th 2009, 01:35 PM
I think I've only fasted once in my life time, and it was only for a day. I'm really not sure why I haven't thought more about fasting to tell you the truth.

ProjectPeter
Jan 12th 2009, 01:45 PM
You can listen to the two messages that I preached here. It is the top blog post... two parts which are really two Sunday sermons.

http://projectpeter.blogspot.com/

BadDog
Jan 13th 2009, 01:46 AM
I see.

As to the person in question (the ones you mentioned).. Just curious because when you added the comment after the "but"... you did it in the "first place." Funny how that works! ;)OK.

Here's what I said:

Not sure what "but" you meant - guessing the first one above.

I don't want to judge someone's motives, as if I know what they are really thinking. This happens too often. BUT, sometimes one can't help but wonder about their thinking process.

I cannot be specific (actually, I just refuse to do so in this case), but let we just say that when the focus becomes the fasting rather than the prayer or whatever else was intended, that's not good. Jesus said that when you fast you shouldn't tell anyone about it. Just fast and pray - keeping it between yourself and God. So if we hear all about someone fasting, well, that's not the biblical approach to fasting. I do not want to assume that the attention was intentional, but fasting should be done in such a manner that it is kept very private. If it doesn't remain private... IMO best to just stop, because the focus wasn't where it should be.

IMO the purpose for fasting is not to get God's attention, but to focus our own, in some sense.

Now I am not intending to be critical of anyone's attempt to improve their relationship with the Lord through fasting! I only posted here because I thought that the most common reason that people do not fast, those who do not, is due to a lack of sufficient self-control... they just love to eat too much. Course just speaking personally here. It's an area of weakness for me.

Take care,

BD

ProjectPeter
Jan 13th 2009, 03:07 PM
OK.

Here's what I said:

Not sure what "but" you meant - guessing the first one above.

I don't want to judge someone's motives, as if I know what they are really thinking. This happens too often. BUT, sometimes one can't help but wonder about their thinking process.

I cannot be specific (actually, I just refuse to do so in this case), but let we just say that when the focus becomes the fasting rather than the prayer or whatever else was intended, that's not good. Jesus said that when you fast you shouldn't tell anyone about it. Just fast and pray - keeping it between yourself and God. So if we hear all about someone fasting, well, that's not the biblical approach to fasting. I do not want to assume that the attention was intentional, but fasting should be done in such a manner that it is kept very private. If it doesn't remain private... IMO best to just stop, because the focus wasn't where it should be.

IMO the purpose for fasting is not to get God's attention, but to focus our own, in some sense.

Now I am not intending to be critical of anyone's attempt to improve their relationship with the Lord through fasting! I only posted here because I thought that the most common reason that people do not fast, those who do not, is due to a lack of sufficient self-control... they just love to eat too much. Course just speaking personally here. It's an area of weakness for me.

Take care,

BD
Self-control is certainly where many are stuck on. No doubt of that.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 13th 2009, 03:27 PM
Just want to encourage those who do , or who are 'willing' to fast or are 'led' to do it... You won't be disappointed if you do or when you fast........... From experience you 'won't'....be disapointed at all...

Studyin'2Show
Jan 14th 2009, 01:09 PM
Well, Messiah does tell us plainly that we WILL be rewarded by our Father in Heaven WHEN we fast (with the right motives).

Matthew 6:16-18
16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

ProjectPeter
Jan 14th 2009, 01:19 PM
Well, Messiah does tell us plainly that we WILL be rewarded by our Father in Heaven WHEN we fast (with the right motives).

16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Even used words like "when you do"... implication is pretty much that you will or at least should. :) Sort of like praying. Gotta figure if we don't then we must at least be missing out on something that Jesus felt we should do.

mikebr
Jan 14th 2009, 01:31 PM
I think I've only fasted once in my life time, and it was only for a day. I'm really not sure why I haven't thought more about fasting to tell you the truth.

I've fasted on several occasions. Sometimes when I felt I was being led to, other times when it seemed to be my flesh.

My question is how many times is enough?

Do I fulfill some requirement if I do it once, twice, once a month? What if I skip a time when I really should have?

Does it have to be food? all food or just some types of food?

ProjectPeter
Jan 14th 2009, 01:35 PM
I've fasted on several occasions. Sometimes when I felt I was being led to, other times when it seemed to be my flesh.

My question is how many times is enough?

Do I fulfill some requirement if I do it once, twice, once a month? What if I skip a time when I really should have?

Does it have to be food? all food or just some types of food?
If doing it in the flesh then it's just a waste of time anyway spiritually. There are those that say it has health value and I suspect they are probably right. But doing it for health is fleshly and while your health will receive some reward... it has no spiritual value.

How many times... don't suspect that is relevant if one is doing it for right motive be it once a week, month, or twice a year.

Veretax
Jan 14th 2009, 01:43 PM

Curious, what does Christ mean by "annoint" the head with oil? Is there some historical context for why he would say to do this?

Secondly, I believe Fasting does not have to be food, but we tend to think that it is. I remember when I was a Freshmen in the dorms and some lutheran and catholic floormates were bragging about what they were "giving up for lent". The spirit of God though gave me the perception to see that their boasts were as that of the pharisee, so I asked a simple question. "So what are you going to do during the time you would normally engage in such?"

I won't recount their answer here, but you can probably guess that they were going to indulge in some other behavior or thing, to which I was lead to rebuke them and say that they had then missed the point. I then explained that the purpose of such "fasts" is to spend that time in prayer and study of God's word, that it is supposed to be a special time you spend with God.

I had never heard of lent before that time, but after perceiving how these who were clearly unsaved celebrated it, I endeavored never to be confused with them that walked by the flesh and thus have never celebrated the thing since.

It is possible that is why I have not really fasted since that time, for I do not want to be seen as walking by flesh, but by the Spirit, that others might see my walk and come to know Christ.

Redeemed by Grace
Jan 14th 2009, 01:54 PM
I see two ways of fasting given within scriptures.

One method goes hand-in-hand with prayer [and supplication]; the other is void of submission.

One focuses on humility and the attention of God, the other focuses on religiosity and the attention of man.

Medically - as has been mentioned, fasting preps the body for invasion by a doctor...
Fasting also brings a bit of cleansing and rest to the digestive track

Every morning when we eat breakfast, we actually are breaking a fast of the night...

Spiritually, a fast is not a specific measurement of time, one of hours, days, weeks or months, but a matter of the heart and need before the Lord in prayer and focus. For example, if one wakes up in the morning and goes to the Lord in prayer 1st before eating, not because of fasting but because of a hunger for God, His heart and stomach seek the best food 1st....

So IMHO, prayer with focus on God above all - is the heart of the fasting message, and those who have been called to and are able to fast, fast, but unto the Lord and without attention.... And those who medically can't, don't, but as with all folks - fast 1st in your heart by seeking Him and thanking Him before all things.

For His glory...
RbG

Emanate
Jan 14th 2009, 01:59 PM
I noticed the "at leat once a year" option was curiously missing.

ProjectPeter
Jan 14th 2009, 02:02 PM
I see two ways of fasting given within scriptures.

One method goes hand-in-hand with prayer [and supplication]; the other is void of submission.

One focuses on humility and the attention of God, the other focuses on religiosity and the attention of man.

Medically - as has been mentioned, fasting preps the body for invasion by a doctor...
Fasting also brings a bit of cleansing and rest to the digestive track

Every morning when we eat breakfast, we actually are breaking a fast of the night...

Spiritually, a fast is not a specific measurement of time, one of hours, days, weeks or months, but a matter of the heart and need before the Lord in prayer and focus. For example, if one wakes up in the morning and goes to the Lord in prayer 1st before eating, not because of fasting but because of a hunger for God, His heart and stomach seek the best food 1st....

So IMHO, prayer with focus on God above all - is the heart of the fasting message, and those who have been called to and are able to fast, fast, but unto the Lord and without attention.... And those who medically can't, don't, but as with all folks - fast 1st in your heart by seeking Him and thanking Him before all things.

For His glory...
RbG
Well said.

ProjectPeter
Jan 14th 2009, 02:03 PM
I noticed the "at leat once a year" option was curiously missing.
Here... we'll add it. Once a year. Feel better now? ;) Hopefully folks get the point without hanging on technicalities. :lol:

Gregg
Jan 14th 2009, 02:21 PM
I just had Jennifer make a new option to cover that. :)

Sure it makes sense. Where do you think that inner desire comes from?

Maybe guilt, that says if we don't we are not "good enough."

Am I loved any less if I don't fast? Am I saved any less if I don't fast? Is there some message that God cannot or will not get to me if I don't fast?

Maybe it is another way to praise God as in singing or prayer? Maybe it does clear the way to feel closer to God. Maybe we need him to get through it? Maybe we have to do it with the gladest of hearts?

Or maybe that inner desire does come from him?

ProjectPeter
Jan 14th 2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe guilt, that says if we don't we are not "good enough."

Am I loved any less if I don't fast? Am I saved any less if I don't fast? Is there some message that God cannot or will not get to me if I don't fast?

Maybe it is another way to praise God as in singing or prayer? Maybe it does clear the way to feel closer to God. Maybe we need him to get through it? Maybe we have to do it with the gladest of hearts?

Or maybe that inner desire does come from him?
It isn't coming from the flesh I figure because the flesh don't want you to fast.

Not likely coming from the devil... He's not going to be all that big on it either if done rightly and with right motive and heart.

So maybe it does come from Him eh? :)

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 02:10 AM
well, if you look through the OT, it seems that people fasted during really important and transitional times. I dont think all of them just fasted say weekly just because. When they fasted it was for a reason. We shouldnt just say, well Jesus said fast so i will fast once a week, unless you are led to do so. I think the Spirit will lead each to fast for the appropriate time. Remember we are not on a religious time clock, we are living by the Spirit.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 20th 2009, 01:05 PM
I had never heard of lent before that time, but after perceiving how these who were clearly unsaved celebrated it, I endeavored never to be confused with them that walked by the flesh and thus have never celebrated the thing since.

It is possible that is why I have not really fasted since that time, for I do not want to be seen as walking by flesh, but by the Spirit, that others might see my walk and come to know Christ.I believe that is the point of Messiah's word when He tells us NOT to fast as the hypocrites do. No one needs to know that you are fasting except God Himself. When I fast I don't go around showing off that I'm fasting. Yeshua saying that we should anoint our head simply means to clean ourselves up and not look pitiful as some would do who want you to say, "What's wrong?" so they can tell you that they are fasting. As Project Peter said, I don't believe that fasting with good intentions is living by the flesh. Those who were showing off concerning their fasts for lent were not being led by the Spirit but by tradition alone. That's very different than what this thread is about.

God Bless!

Fresco
Jan 20th 2009, 02:22 PM
I used to fast one day a week, what I liked about it was (beside losing weight) my food tended to taste much better the remaining 6 days of the week

Dani H
Jan 20th 2009, 03:37 PM
Self-control is certainly where many are stuck on. No doubt of that.

I once did a fast and had such a hankering for a milk shake, I couldn't stand it. The fast I was doing was specifically for somebody's deliverance and so disobedience wasn't an option.

Did you ever see a grown woman in her kitchen throwing a hissy fit at God for not being able to have a stupid milk shake? That definitely went into the "whoa nelly, where did that come from?" category. :rolleyes:

Fasting can bring out all sorts of happy things in us we never knew lurketh there ... and can lead to great deliverance, all the way around ... or prevent bondage, to begin with.

And so yes, I'm a big advocate of fasting because I've seen the fruit of it in my own life over the years, in a great many ways. :)

Jesus didn't say "if you fast", He said "when you fast." It's implied and the early Church absolutely practiced it, as should we.

Gregg
Jan 21st 2009, 01:58 PM
I once did a fast and had such a hankering for a milk shake, I couldn't stand it.

Fasting can bring out all sorts of happy things in us we never knew lurketh there ... and can lead to great deliverance, all the way around ... or prevent bondage, to begin with.

And the discovery that we really really like milk shakes!:D

Oh, by the way, malts are better.;)

Toymom
Jan 21st 2009, 02:06 PM
I grew up fasting during the day for Passover and also on Yom Kippur. I did not get anything out of it, nor did I understand the reasons for doing it at the time. It was just something we were supposed to do.
I have not fasted since I quit celebrating the Jewish holidays which was several years before I became a Christian.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 21st 2009, 02:17 PM
I grew up fasting during the day for Passover and also on Yom Kippur. I did not get anything out of it, nor did I understand the reasons for doing it at the time. It was just something we were supposed to do.
I have not fasted since I quit celebrating the Jewish holidays which was several years before I became a Christian.Religion without understanding doesn't do much for you, does it? Considering the words I posted from Yeshua (Jesus), saying that WHEN we fast we shouldn't do so as a hypocrite, would you consider fasting WITH understanding. I mean, now that you have the Holy Spirit you may get that spiritual clarity some of us have been talking about. :dunno: For me I never fasted until after I was saved and it has been such a blessing! :)

God Bless!
Denise