PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Visit those Sick

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:44 PM
Hospitals aren't easy to do now because of privacy laws... I know. It isn't impossible to do but it is more complicated even for licensed ministers. Nevertheless... there are homes, apartments, etc... all sorts of folks that are sick and yet not in the hospital. They are starving for company... some even starving for fellowship with other believers. How often are you visiting those?

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 03:50 PM
I have in the past while at Bible College (we had a weekly ministry to the local hospital), and also whenever my sister's been sectioned in a mental health unit. I used to wash and style hair for various people, and just talk to them. I vividly remember one Hungarian lady called Anna who took a liking to my socks and removed them from me :)

You know, one thing your threads this afternoon have shown me is that I used to do things that I don't do now. That's a personal challenge.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 04:01 PM
Good... tis a goal of mine in starting the threads. :)

threebigrocks
Jan 10th 2009, 04:44 PM
Don't forget nursing homes and simple assisted living places. If the building isn't secured, just walk in and let people get used to seeing you for a time. Never know who will come over to chat, help someone with a wheel chair, pick up a newspaper that was dropped, refill their coffee, etc.

Many places have a volunteer coordinator, and it's not too hard to get on that list usually. Also, contact home health care services, and if it's your thing hospice services in homes. They use A LOT of volunteers! Learned that recently.

Tons of places, just gotta think and be a bit creative.

Vhayes
Jan 10th 2009, 05:50 PM
Nowhere near as much as I should. I did years ago but haven't in a long while.
V

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 10:17 PM
I work at a hospital, so ... at least 5 or 6 or even 7 days a week!

moonglow
Jan 10th 2009, 10:29 PM
I go when I know the person...hasn't been anyone though in a long time which I think is good...means they are staying out of the hospitals!

Nursing homes don't let people just walk in here...at least not around here...you will be stopped and questioned...especially since we had some elderly ladies raped here last spring and one murdered...:( When I tried walking my dog with Nate on his bike in the assistance living center behind us we were closely watched...I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I didn't think we looked very threatening but we sure weren't welcomed! But I understood...everyone was just really scared and on edge. :(

I have tried to visit in nursing homes before (when the person had requested visitors) it didn't go very well at all...I guess I am not much of a people person...:(

God Bless

ProjectPeter
Jan 12th 2009, 01:52 PM
You can listen to the two messages that I preached here. It is the top blog post... two parts which are really two Sunday sermons.

http://projectpeter.blogspot.com/

always
Jan 12th 2009, 03:20 PM
Hospitals and nursing homes... are the obvious places to find the sick, in Christ Jesus our eyes can also be open that there are those that are spiritually sick, ministering in prisons, has shown me such.

These are believers that are broken hearted, spiritually depressed, they are being sifted by the devil,

Luke 22:31
And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

I do not have a calling to hospitals, nursing homes.... and such, they grieve me, :cry: and the situations are hard for me to let go.