PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clothe the naked?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:49 PM
Just what it says. Not asking do you go to the store and buy them brand new clothing and all that sort of thing. But most of us have extra clothes or have access to extra clothes. Most of us could afford to go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and scare up a couple of pair of pants, shirts, and a coat for someone in need.

Do we do this?

tt1106
Jan 10th 2009, 03:57 PM
I give to several agencies and I did buy clothes as part of a angel tree.

Butch5
Jan 10th 2009, 04:04 PM
Just what it says. Not asking do you go to the store and buy them brand new clothing and all that sort of thing. But most of us have extra clothes or have access to extra clothes. Most of us could afford to go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and scare up a couple of pair of pants, shirts, and a coat for someone in need.

Do we do this?

Nowhere near enough.

Vhayes
Jan 10th 2009, 04:14 PM
I clear closets out once a year - if it hasn't been worn in a year, it goes into the bag. I take those bags to the homeless shelters. If it is dress clothes, I take it to Goodwill or Volunteers of America because homeless people don't need suits and high heels.

I also ask those with whom i work to gather gloves, coats, scarves, etc. and I take those to various parks and city green spaces and leave them on tables. It really is cool to see one of the donations walking around downtown! You KNOW they are being put to good use.

threebigrocks
Jan 10th 2009, 05:01 PM
The stuff is a pain at garage sales. Just give it away to someone who needs it.

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 09:32 PM
I selected "not never" because i do donate our families too-small or unused clothes, but i don't do much else. i'm not sure what i could do more though to tell the truth.

humbled
Jan 10th 2009, 09:32 PM
to what end, Ken?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 10:48 PM
to what end, Ken?
Till the race has been run by each of us individually John. ;)

Lefty
Jan 10th 2009, 10:56 PM
Q: Do you feel that solely giving $$ to Christian organizations for the purpose of clothing the needy (renting space and other overhead), without actually delivering clothes deserves an option in this poll? For a bachelor who wears most of his clothes down to threads, there isn't much else I could do.

moonglow
Jan 10th 2009, 11:08 PM
Q: Do you feel that solely giving $$ to Christian organizations for the purpose of clothing the needy (renting space and other overhead), without actually delivering clothes deserves an option in this poll? For a bachelor who wears most of his clothes down to threads, there isn't much else I could do.

:lol::lol: Sorry that made me laugh cause I am the same way...wear them until they are useless except as rags which I do use too! lol.

But I do get alot of not needed (ill fitting clothes) my mom thinks will fit me alot..and my son outgrows really nice clothes so I store them in the basement until I have enough to donate...I also keep his shoes (if they are not falling apart), socks, underwear (don't tell him cause he would be mortified!), books, toys, etc to donate.

I was giving to the women's shelter here but then they moved and have no place to store these items...so I have to take them to either the soup kitchen or this one church that has them just for these women and of course those truly in need. I will NOT give them to goodwill or the salvation army because they charge...sell them. These are for people that don't have a couple of dollars for one shirt! They need truly need them so they should get them without cost. Also save items like shampoo, soaps and toothpaste, that you might get extra...(my mom has no idea how much she supplies to these people as she is constantly giving me this stuff thinking I need it so I just save them to give)...things we might not normally think of giving..and cleaning items too. Those especially can be expensive.

I won't say I give often because it takes awhile to build up something to give (Nate isn't growing fast enough...lol) but I give all I can.

God bless

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:10 PM
If you do that on a regular basis then I figure you can check doing it on a regular basis. The way you get them the clothes is semantics I figure. Question... are you doing it. :)

tango
Jan 10th 2009, 11:37 PM

Do we do this?

When I've got clothes I don't need any more if there's any life in them I give them to someone, or an agency who can give them to someone, who can still use them.

When my wife's aunt died we took everything from all of her (many) wardrobes to charity stores, most of it was as good as new.

Do I do enough? Can we ever do enough?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:44 PM
When I've got clothes I don't need any more if there's any life in them I give them to someone, or an agency who can give them to someone, who can still use them.

When my wife's aunt died we took everything from all of her (many) wardrobes to charity stores, most of it was as good as new.

Do I do enough? Can we ever do enough?
We can do enough when we have done all that we can do. After that... there is nothing more that we can do. ;)

tango
Jan 10th 2009, 11:45 PM
We can do enough when we have done all that we can do. After that... there is nothing more that we can do. ;)

I guess the question comes down to at what point do we say we have done all we can. If we've got $50 in spare cash and don't give it up to clothe someone, should we? And if so, at what point should we keep the $50 to clothe ourselves?

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:57 PM
I guess the question comes down to at what point do we say we have done all we can. If we've got $50 in spare cash and don't give it up to clothe someone, should we? And if so, at what point should we keep the $50 to clothe ourselves?
Perhaps not an easy answer for that one. I would say by one's measure of faith. If I have faith to give that last fifty bucks then I will give it. But it has to truly be a faith issue... sadly many would just use that as an excuse.

We are blessed when we give... biblical principle sure enough. We aren't to store up for ourselves treasures on earth but store up treasures in heaven because ultimately it's all about eternity. So my answer would be to give if you see someone in need and you do have. If it leaves you with nothing extra then so be it if you already have enough. That's perhaps just me but then I am certain I could make a strong biblical case that this would be applicable to all who are disciples of Christ.

ProjectPeter
Jan 12th 2009, 01:50 PM
You can listen to the two messages that I preached here. It is the top blog post... two parts which are really two Sunday sermons.

http://projectpeter.blogspot.com/

always
Jan 12th 2009, 03:22 PM
I do quite often