PDA

View Full Version : How often do you Feed the Hungry

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 03:52 PM
Same as the other polls you are seeing. This is a pretty easy task as far as finding folks in need... especially right now.

tt1106
Jan 10th 2009, 03:54 PM
3rd. Wednesday of every month, I serve.
My wife and I do a canned food drive monthly at our church. I give monetarilly as well.

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 04:02 PM
There's a local heroin addict going through a methadone programme, and I buy her food whenever I see her. Some friends work one Saturday a month cooking in a homeless shelter, and I'll be joining them for that.

Vhayes
Jan 10th 2009, 04:07 PM
I live in a neighborhood where people knock on the door at least once a week looking for money. Both my husband and I have brought people in, sat them down at the table and fixed them a cup of coffee, a cup of hot chocolate, a glass of ice water in summer and prepared something for them to eat. I've cleared the pantry and the freezer more times than I can count.

Word spreads - when someone is genuinely hungry, they know where to go to get food. They also know there is no money, or little money. One of our neighbors asks what they need the money for - and then puts them in his car and takes them to wherever to pay their gas bill, buy them a new tire, buy them formula for their infant, etc. Again, word gets 'round. If you have a need, go there. If you're scammin' you're gonna get caught.

Bethany67
Jan 10th 2009, 04:12 PM
We've had a spate of scammers recently claiming that their car has broken down and please can they have 10 to get to the hospital to visit a sick relative. One cheeky guy tried it twice in one week, and scarpered when we recognized him.

I'll feed anyone who needs it; I learned that from my mother and I can rustle up food for hordes at the drop of a hat, but I tend not to hand over cash.

threebigrocks
Jan 10th 2009, 05:11 PM
You know, unless you look intentionally - many times you just don't see the guy who you can hand a meal to personally.

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 09:30 PM
I answered the last one, but i could be doing more. I elected for $5 to come out of every one of my paychecks and it goes to food pantries and soup kitchens. It's not alot, I should do more.

matthew7and1
Jan 10th 2009, 10:22 PM
We've had a spate of scammers recently claiming that their car has broken down and please can they have 10 to get to the hospital to visit a sick relative. One cheeky guy tried it twice in one week, and scarpered when we recognized him.

I'll feed anyone who needs it; I learned that from my mother and I can rustle up food for hordes at the drop of a hat, but I tend not to hand over cash.
agreed. i always keep bologna. it's cheap but fortigying. there are some homeless people with alchohol addictions that sometimes mill about the pharmacy by my house. when they say they are hungry, i'll offer a bologna sandwich or pb and j if they're willing to give me 15 minutes. sometimes they wait, and i figure they were really hungry. other times they refuse me. weeds out the money seekers quickly....

tango
Jan 10th 2009, 11:39 PM

We've had a few of those lately. One of them was sufficiently aggressive that when I (truthfully) said I had no cash on me she wanted me to go to the cash machine to get some for her.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:45 PM
We've had a few of those lately. One of them was sufficiently aggressive that when I (truthfully) said I had no cash on me she wanted me to go to the cash machine to get some for her.
With the world economy going south very quickly... I suspect there will be much more of that.

tango
Jan 10th 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm sure there will. If I knew someone was genuinely hungry I'd have no problem with giving them money for food, or food, or whatever they genuinely needed. But homeless charities in the UK reckon that something like 80% of the cash given to homeless people ends up being spent on drugs.

I've got no problem with feeding the hungry, but I don't want to give money to someone if it's going to go up their nose.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2009, 11:53 PM
Bible calls that prudence. But then we have to be careful because sometimes we tend to operate on "common" sense to the degree that we don't operate on "God" sense. One needs discernment there... but God still provides it. :)

SeattleSun
Jan 11th 2009, 04:19 AM
Hungry for what? Jesus was hungry after his 40 days in the wilderness, but he didn't use His deity to change rocks into bread. I can't even imagine!

Practically nobody goes hungry physically where I live. Not worldly hunger ... food, drugs, drink or sex.

The best donation I ever made was holding the hands of the hungry and praying with them.

Maybe that's what He meant?

SIG
Jan 11th 2009, 04:45 AM
My church and I feed once a month, as part of a rotation. I would prefer more often.

The hungry can get a meal every night in my town via the churches; other services are offered too.

As for scamming--we feed the hungry, and "hungry" is the only requirement.

Biastai
Jan 11th 2009, 06:16 AM
This is especially crucial in recent times. The price of beans go up a few cents and we scowl at our grocery receipts, but elsewhere especially internationally, its a crushing blow. Food banks are hurting real bad around our area. My next vehicle will be a pickup truck for this very purpose.

ProjectPeter
Jan 12th 2009, 01:46 PM
You can listen to the two messages that I preached here. It is the top blog post... two parts which are really two Sunday sermons.

http://projectpeter.blogspot.com/

always
Jan 12th 2009, 03:23 PM
I do quite often

militarywife
Jan 12th 2009, 03:29 PM
I pray that it is everytime God opens that door for me. I am sure I have failed too many times, but by Gods grace and mercy, He allows me opportunities to serve.