PDA

View Full Version : Yashashua or Jesus

reformedct
Jan 10th 2009, 06:28 PM
Can someone please explain why there is a minority that claims that we shouldnt use JEsus as the name of the Son of God but instead Yashashua or something like that? Where did this come from? Is it Ok to use Jesus?

grit
Jan 10th 2009, 06:36 PM
I know it's a serious issue, and sure it has to do with Jewishness vs Greekness of New Testament considerations, but LOL, maybe if we had more of a record of the childhood and teenage years of Jesus, and since he was a carpenter's son and all, I can well imagine we might have a few more nicknames with which to address him, maybe like 'Chip' or 'The Hammer'. :)

from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus), from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

The name “Jesus” is an Anglicisation of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (IēsoŻs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יהושע (Yehoshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic ישוע (Yeshua), meaning “YHWH rescues”. “Christ” is a title derived from the Greek Χριστός (Christůs), meaning the “Anointed One”, which corresponds to the Hebrew-derived “Messiah”.

Also, basically the names Jesus, Joshua, and Hosea are pretty much the same name in Hebrew.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 10th 2009, 07:37 PM
Not to throw the topic off center but the name 'Jesus' is still powerful.. and as far as demonic powers (devils) Satan himself.. they still 'submit' to the name of Jesus... it was used in the Spiritual Warfare that went on when He Saved me and Delivered me on Feb 3 1994... and I've also used the name of My Lord and Savior 'Jesus' when in some pretty intense spriitual warfare occurences...

and I can attest and I do testify that devils(demons) submit and 'tremble' at the True Christ.. the Annointed One.. the Holy One of Isreal, God manifest in the flesh.. who has defeated death and allowed man to have a Way to the Father... this thru His Completed Work on that Bloody Tree at Golgotha...

Drums4Him
Jan 11th 2009, 03:16 AM
Use whatever name you feel comfortable with, Jesus or Yeshua, but don't tell me one is right and one is wrong.

SammeyDW
Jan 11th 2009, 05:53 AM
Use whatever name you feel comfortable with, Jesus or Yeshua, but don't tell me one is right and one is wrong.

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

crossnote
Jan 11th 2009, 07:36 AM
There must be a reason why so many cuss words include "Jesus' and not Yeshua.

shepherdsword
Jan 11th 2009, 09:00 AM
Maybe there is some validity to the claim if you want to be precise. However, I can tell you this..I have seen Demons flee when I used the name of Jesus.
That's enough for me.