PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for Fasting

Yukerboy
Jan 11th 2009, 03:24 PM
Better yet, how do you fast? Now, I am talking food here now, nothing else.

How do you go about fasting? Do you drink water? Is Pepsi a part of what is allowed? Can you give me your guidelines for fasting? Not necessarily Scriptural based, just what you personally consider fasting?

And, if you do have Scripture and wish to present it, of course feel free.

Yuke

Bethany67
Jan 11th 2009, 03:46 PM
I generally eat an ordinary evening meal (not a blowout), miss breakfast and lunch and eat again lightly the following evening; it works for me because my non-Christian husband still expects me to cook an evening meal, so I choose something like chicken and salad for breaking my fast. I've never done longer than 24 hours, except a 2-day compulsory medical fast (clear liquids only) once before a procedure (which isn't the same as spiritual fasting to me). I drink water, and in winter I occasionally drink tea; if I start feeling wobbly because of low blood sugar, tea with milk usually sorts it. I personally don't go for Pepsi or coffee when fasting as they're too much of a stimulant for me, although I do like them when not fasting. I also tend to avoid distractions like the Net and TV so I can focus on praying, which for me is the purpose of it. I prefer to fast one day at the weekend rather than during the week, as my work is pretty stressful and chaotic.

I don't have a regular schedule of fasting like once a week or once a month, just whenever there's an issue on my heart that I want to deal with. Recently I believe God has been calling me to fast and pray for the salvation of my husband, so that's what I've been focussing on.

There's an excellent book called 'God's Chosen Fast' by Arthur Wallis, written in the Sixties, that I'd recommend.

humbled
Jan 11th 2009, 03:49 PM
Better yet, how do you fast? Now, I am talking food here now, nothing else.

How do you go about fasting? Do you drink water? Is Pepsi a part of what is allowed? Can you give me your guidelines for fasting? Not necessarily Scriptural based, just what you personally consider fasting?

And, if you do have Scripture and wish to present it, of course feel free.

Yuke
1. fasting can be anything, really .. I've fasted from my computer, the internet, and certain areas of the internet (forums for example) when it seems appropriate to focus on God. Many of my fasts are things that consume more of my time than they should, usually ... it's got to be a sacrifice of some kind. There's no real formula.

2. This is the fast of the LORD:

Isaiah 58.6 "Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

fwiw

Bethany67
Jan 11th 2009, 04:07 PM
There are different lengths and reasons for fasting in scripture, apart from that lovely Isa 58:

- One day till evening: Judges 20:26, 1 Sam 7:6 with confession of sin, 2 Sam 1:12 with mourning
- One day as an unrighteous fast: 1 Kings 21, followed by Ahab's repentant fast
- Unspecified number of days: 2 Sam 12 with mourning
- Seven days: 1 Sam 31:13 with mourning
- To seek healing for the nation: 2 Chron 7
- Fasting with petitions: Ezra 8, Esther 4
- Fasting to turn away calamity: Joel 2, Jonah 3
- Pointless without the right attitude of humility: Luke 18:12
- Jesus assumes we will fast: Mt 6, Mark 2, Luke 5
- To seek specific direction: Acts 13
- To appoint elders: Acts 14

Yukerboy
Jan 11th 2009, 04:35 PM
Thnak you to those who have posted so far. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 11th 2009, 06:43 PM
Yuke,
If i'm led to fast.. I mostly drink water... and lots of it.. I usually have a water bottle right beside me at all times.. but thats just me.
I abstain from food.

Yukerboy
Jan 11th 2009, 09:00 PM
Yuke,
If i'm led to fast.. I mostly drink water... and lots of it.. I usually have a water bottle right beside me at all times.. but thats just me.
I abstain from food.

I'm thinking this is the route I am going to undertake.

As a side bit of irony, I work at a chocolate factory. Before I had considered fasting, I worked at a bottled spring water company.

Bethany67
Jan 11th 2009, 09:02 PM
As a side bit of irony, I work at a chocolate factory. Before I had considered fasting, I worked at a bottled spring water company.

Oh you've got to love God's sense of humour!

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 12th 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking this is the route I am going to undertake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that is ironic...lol... God will help you and strengthen you as you move out in fasting. May His Wisdom and Understanding rest upon you immensely....