PDA

View Full Version : Asking God For Anything

Reedan
Jan 12th 2009, 12:05 AM
Ok Jesus said that if you ask God for anything in his name it will be done, except if its wrong motives or such

So what does this mean, Ok so Faith is a requirement, So when you ask do you have to have no doubt that what you said is going to happen, So is saying only if Its God will, Is that like Doubting that its going to happen, From my experience, I have asked God for things, Some happened, Thanks God, Some did not, Thanks God.

And also, Can asking God to heal the whole world right now be wrong motives? Or like is it not God's will?

Ixthus
Jan 15th 2009, 05:24 PM
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

The point is, If you have faith God will do things for your benefit. It may not seem like it right away, but if you look back on it later in life you'll realize it was for the best.

doubledcattle
Jan 15th 2009, 05:27 PM
I've been praying for a specific thing for about 4 years now and I have been close but not cigar. I keep asking because the Bible tells me too. When I am where I need to be with God and He feels it is time I believe He will bless me with this thing. I want to do this and do it for God's glory, but sometimes you have to be where God wants you to be before you can even try to take on other things that is for his glory. Did that make sense? I think I confused myself. It sounds easier to understand in my head. :cool:

Toymom
Jan 16th 2009, 01:47 PM
The key words are "in My name". To be in the Lord's name is to be one with Him in our desires - our desires are His desires - what we ask for is not for our will, but for His will. So, if we are truely "in His name" - in Christ, one with Him, we will not even ask for something that is not His will - whatever we ask for will be for His will to be done, and it will be done.

To ask for something "in His name" does not mean that we add the "magic words" "in your name" or "in Jesus name" that will make Him grant our wishes. God is not a genie in a bottle who grants wishes.

To ask for something in His name is to be in His name and to be one with Him in our asking and then, what we ask Him to do will be what He will do.

Yukerboy
Jan 16th 2009, 06:13 PM
The key words are "in My name". To be in the Lord's name is to be one with Him in our desires - our desires are His desires - what we ask for is not for our will, but for His will. So, if we are truely "in His name" - in Christ, one with Him, we will not even ask for something that is not His will - whatever we ask for will be for His will to be done, and it will be done.

To ask for something "in His name" does not mean that we add the "magic words" "in your name" or "in Jesus name" that will make Him grant our wishes. God is not a genie in a bottle who grants wishes.

To ask for something in His name is to be in His name and to be one with Him in our asking and then, what we ask Him to do will be what He will do.

This is an extremely good point.

If a family member has terminal cancer and I pray and fast as long and as hard as I can to save my family member from the cancer, yet the family memeber dies of that cancer, it is not as though God had failed.

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

So while I may be praying "Save my family member from death"...the Spirit could be praying "grant this child of yours peace of mind to accept what is to come"

BroRog
Jan 16th 2009, 06:35 PM
Two things:

I like what Toymom said and I think it's Biblical, but technically, to be "in Jesus' name" refers to anyone acting under his authority. For instance, when Jesus sent the seventy disciples out to cast out demons and heal the sick, these seventy disciples were taking action under the authority of Jesus. That is, the demons obeyed the disciples, not because the disciples were asking, but because Jesus had the power to punish the demons if they disobeyed.

When Jesus told his disciples, "whatever you ask in my name will be done", he was telling them that they were acting with the full power and authority of God. Not all of us, especially me, can claim to be acting with the full power and authority of God himself. I mean, the Holy Spirit can use me any time and any where he wants to achieve his goals. And I am open to that, and I believe he has done this in the past. But I can't just go out on my own and suggest to people that demons will flee when I decide they should flee. I personally haven't been given that authority.

Having said all that, I think it is clear from scripture that God listens to our prayers and we can ask for anything that is on our heart. And sometimes he grants our request out of his great love and mercy. At other times, however, his great love and mercy dictates that he NOT give us what we ask for because what he has in mind is much better.

As Paul says, "[W]e know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." God is making everything work to our benefit. Even the bad stuff will eventually work to our benefit. And technically we don't really have to pray for anything because he already knows what we need and what is good for us.

But we desire to have a relationship with God and so he is pleased to hear our prayers anyway, even if he already knows what we need.

So feel free to ask for whatever is on you mind and/or heart. Your prayer time is your personal time with God. Keep it as real and honest as possible, never give up, and never stop praying. The prayers of the saints are like a good smelling aroma and he is pleased to hear them.

Toymom
Jan 16th 2009, 07:10 PM
A dear Christian woman that I knew who passed away about a year ago said that God always answered her prayers. Sometimes He answered "yes", sometimes He answered "no" and sometimes His answer was "wait", but He always answered.

tango
Jan 17th 2009, 01:15 AM
Ok Jesus said that if you ask God for anything in his name it will be done, except if its wrong motives or such

So what does this mean, Ok so Faith is a requirement, So when you ask do you have to have no doubt that what you said is going to happen, So is saying only if Its God will, Is that like Doubting that its going to happen, From my experience, I have asked God for things, Some happened, Thanks God, Some did not, Thanks God.

And also, Can asking God to heal the whole world right now be wrong motives? Or like is it not God's will?

Asking for something in Jesus' name is about asking for the things Jesus would have asked for in the same situation. Praying "Dear God, please may I have a Lamborghini Murcielago, in Jesus' name, Amen" is unlikely to be fruitful - the man who rode into Jerusalem on a donkey would most likely not drive around in an Italian supercar were he to be walking the earth today.

So on that basis the faith is not only the faith in God and his promises, but the faith that we are walking exactly where Jesus would have us walk, and asking for the things he would have us ask for.

shepherdsword
Jan 17th 2009, 01:24 AM

This is excellent. I was attempting to explain this to a multi denominational christian men's breakfast that the Mayor of Davie used to host. One of the guys thought I was coming against him ending his prayer with "In Jesus's name amen" and man was he upset! I was just trying to explain that the statement wasn't a mantra that we chant or a magical incantation to get our prayers answered. In fact a prayer can be in Jesus's name without you even saying that (although it's still a good idea to do so)

He still eyes me as a possible heretic til this day;)

mikebr
Jan 17th 2009, 02:25 AM
God wants to give us Himself. If we ask for anything less and He gives it what does that mean?

I've come to the point where I don't want anything if it doesn't mean more of Him. Now I understand at present my family is safe and healthy. I may change my mind then. But right now...................?

shepherdsword
Jan 17th 2009, 02:42 AM
God wants to give us Himself. If we ask for anything less and He gives it what does that mean?

I've come to the point where I don't want anything if it doesn't mean more of Him. Now I understand at present my family is safe and healthy. I may change my mind then. But right now...................?

:amen:

That's the right heart alright