PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Lords name in vain

fontz
Jan 12th 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm a little confused on this..i thought i had down what this meant now..hmmm

I read something last night that stated saying God Bless America is an example of taking his name in vain..i don't grasp that one cause when i say it or sing it about America or any other country i mean it..i also read saying Bless You (ie someone sneezing) was another example..personally i love when i sneeze and someone says God Bless You..its my time to say ..He does..everyday in everyway.

Any thoughts on this? I understand the profanity of course, or using the name when maybe one is angry and utters our Lords name..not in a good way..however...thoughts please?

reformedct
Jan 12th 2009, 07:48 PM

I read something last night that stated saying God Bless America is an example of taking his name in vain..i don't grasp that one cause when i say it or sing it about America or any other country i mean it..i also read saying Bless You (ie someone sneezing) was another example..personally i love when i sneeze and someone says God Bless You..its my time to say ..He does..everyday in everyway.

Any thoughts on this? I understand the profanity of course, or using the name when maybe one is angry and utters our Lords name..not in a good way..however...thoughts please?

It is my conviction that taking the Lords name in vain is when we use Gods name in a way that is disrespectful or flippant. Like saying Jesus Christ as a swear word. It is not a sin to pray that God bless someone. I think Jesus said love your enemies. Doesnt that include praying that God bless them?

I hope God blesses America, but at the same time, if we are saying God Bless America because we are a good nation and you love us lol, thats kinda outta line. America does not deserve to be blessed. More like God have mercy and dont wipeout America as we deserve. Nevertheless i dont see saying God Bless someone or something is in vain?? Where does the Bible say we cannot pray God Bless someone or something?

fontz
Jan 12th 2009, 07:53 PM
It is my conviction that taking the Lords name in vain is when we use Gods name in a way that is disrespectful or flippant. Like saying Jesus Christ as a swear word. It is not a sin to pray that God bless someone. I think Jesus said love your enemies. Doesnt that include praying that God bless them?

I hope God blesses America, but at the same time, if we are saying God Bless America because we are a good nation and you love us lol, thats kinda outta line. America does not deserve to be blessed. More like God have mercy and dont wipeout America as we deserve. Nevertheless i dont see saying God Bless someone or something is in vain?? Where does the Bible say we cannot pray God Bless someone or something?

I agree America needs much mercy..wow times have changed since i was a kid! I absolutely know of no example of where the bible says we cannot pray for God to bless someone...the author of what i read gave no scripture reference of course:confused so that should have been enough to tell me what i felt when i read it ..however just was wondering about the thoughts of others..thanks for the reply

reformedct
Jan 12th 2009, 07:59 PM
I agree America needs much mercy..wow times have changed since i was a kid! I absolutely know of no example of where the bible says we cannot pray for God to bless someone...the author of what i read gave no scripture reference of course:confused so that should have been enough to tell me what i felt when i read it ..however just was wondering about the thoughts of others..thanks for the reply

yeah. be very careful when someone starts making new rules. No piercings allowed, no tatoos, no movies, etc. Let the Bible have the final say. in the Bible there are countless verses that have people saying stuff like, "may the Lord Bless you".

I am beginning to realize how there are so many rules in some churches that are just made up

Benaiah
Jan 12th 2009, 08:07 PM
One of the primary meanings of the Word translated vain is "emptiness". in other words, it refers to using God's name in such a casual manner that robs it of any real meaning. This is why the Jews substituted "Adonai" and other titles in place of God's name(YHWH) in scripture.

As far as singing, God bless America, I would note that "God" is a title and not a personal name.

The Parson
Jan 12th 2009, 08:25 PM
Another example of flippant is the habit some have of hollering "Oh My ___" (place the Fathers title in the blank) when the slightest thing happens. As if His name was something common and every day. I even shutter to put it in the blank myself.

holyrokker
Jan 12th 2009, 08:57 PM
Taking God's name in vain also includes using God's name as "hell insurance" - "I believe in Jesus, so I'm not going to hell"

It's using God's name for our own advantage.

It's claiming His name, yet living for ourselves.

It's praying for something that isn't God's will, and tacking on "in Jesus' name" on the end - like it's some magic potion.

It's false religion.

It's "Churchianity" and "Christianese".

It's "having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power." (2 Tim 3:5)

Sirus
Jan 13th 2009, 03:04 AM
It's "having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power." (2 Tim 3:5)Right!
It means take is character and authority and not walk in his character and authority. Don't say you are what you are not. Don't bring shame to his character and authority. Don't be a hypocrite! Don't call yourself the chosen of the one true God and bow down to worthless idols.

kenrank
Jan 13th 2009, 01:08 PM

If you are interested, I can share all the supporting scripture for what I am about the share.

First of all, "God" is not a name. God is the English version of the Hebrew word Elohim. Elohim is plural, but the best definition seems to be "God of gods." (The latter being what makes it plural) So "God bless America" doesn't contain God's name, and is simply a petition to ask for God's blessing.

In English we would write God's name as YHWH. (which I will leave for you to determine the proper pronunciation) Many believe his name is Jehovah, which I don't really have a problem with, save for the letter J being only 500 years old and there being no J or J sound in Hebrew.

In the OT, when you see the all caps LORD, it is used in replacement for the name YHWH. You can confirm this in just about ANY bible preface save for the KJV. It is done about 2300 times. Lord is also not a name, it simply can be defined as "Master."

With that said, the name YHWH represents God's authority and power. When we do something in the name of Yahushua (Jesus) for example, it isn't as much as we say his name (which there is nothing wrong with) but that we are acting in his authority. For example, say you are in a position to pray over a sick person. When you do, we know that if they are to be healed, will be so in the name of Yahushua(Jesus). Many will call on his name out loud, which again is proper, but what we are really doing is calling on his power to heal. If you are attacked by a foul spirit, we call on the name for protection. While again there is nothing wrong in saying the name out loud, it is really his authority over that spirit we are calling on to protect us. In baptism we are immersed in his name. Are we really immersed in the letters that make his name, or the sounds that sound his name, or are we immersed into his saving power and authority? These were just three examples.

Vain means to make of no effect, useless. Since his name represents his authority, it is making God's authority of no value, making it useless, of no effect.

So how do you take his name in vain? You can claim to act in his authority when you are not in his authority. You can attribute works done in his authority to another. And another, and this is supported by scripture too, is to walk in disobediance to God. For if we are to walk in his name, we walk in his authority, but if we walk instead in disobediance, we are making his authority useless, of no value.

I hope that helps a little. Best thing to do is use your bible software or biblegateway.com and search for "name of the LORD." There will be many results and it will take time, but it is a worthwhile effort and one which will bless you. Don't neglect the OT when doing the search, there are many examples of what I have said in there. Lev. 21:1-6 is one example.

Peace.
Ken

fontz
Jan 13th 2009, 02:36 PM
thanks
looking forward to getting my high speed back up this weekend so i can actually do searches ...its rather difficult to open alot of pages being stuck on dialup this week...

I had no idea also there was no J sound in the Hebrew language..interesting bit of info there

I guess i hadn't thought deeply enough into all the ways the Lords name could be taken in vain..most obvious are using his name when angry..and no i can't type it that way but as well all know our Saviors name easy one to gage..and man it bothers me to hear it used that way..in fact next time i do i think i'll add is ...Our Lord and Savior :D

yes walking in disobedience while professing of course makes sense..thanks all for your inputs..you just run across certain things at times on the net..not that i accept them in my Spirit..it just makes me think ummm what? ummm why? especially when its not backed up with scripture

kenrank
Jan 13th 2009, 05:18 PM
thanks
looking forward to getting my high speed back up this weekend so i can actually do searches ...its rather difficult to open alot of pages being stuck on dialup this week...

I had no idea also there was no J sound in the Hebrew language..interesting bit of info there

I guess i hadn't thought deeply enough into all the ways the Lords name could be taken in vain..most obvious are using his name when angry..and no i can't type it that way but as well all know our Saviors name easy one to gage..and man it bothers me to hear it used that way..in fact next time i do i think i'll add is ...Our Lord and Savior :D

yes walking in disobedience while professing of course makes sense..thanks all for your inputs..you just run across certain things at times on the net..not that i accept them in my Spirit..it just makes me think ummm what? ummm why? especially when its not backed up with scripture

Fontz, I am not so sure saying God ___ is taking anything in vain as much as it is just wrong, profane. We (culturally) view taking God's name in vain that way, but it really isn't supported by scripture.

When you get high speed back up, there is a great resource you may want to check out. www.e-sword.net (http://www.e-sword.net) has a free bible software program where you can install scores of bible versions, search using key words or phrases, and the KJV+ is the KJV with Strongs built in. So you can run your cursor over a word and the Hebrew or Greek word and meaning will pop-up. You can add in (free) an 1828 Noah Webster dictionary, keep your own notes and even create your own commentary. You can have other commentaries added in, the works of Jesephus, maps...all free. If you download it and need any help, please feel free to PM me.

Peace.
Ken