PDA

View Full Version : Why does God refer to Himself as plural

MercyChild
Jan 12th 2009, 10:06 PM
Why does God refer to Himself as plural in these scriptures?

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness. Let them rule the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the domestic animals all over the earth, and all the animals that crawl on the earth."

Gen3:22 Then the LORD God said, "The man has become like one of us, since he knows good and evil. He must not reach out and take the fruit from the tree of life and eat. Then he would live forever."(GW)

CjSoReLFoReaL
Jan 13th 2009, 12:51 AM
Isn't this part of the trinity? God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit...

when he says "let us" isnt one speaking to the other two?....i dont know i dont fully understand the trinity...Arent they separate deities but as one?

Don't mean to derial the thread

Diggindeeper
Jan 13th 2009, 04:17 AM

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness. Let them rule the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the domestic animals all over the earth, and all the animals that crawl on the earth."

Gen3:22 Then the LORD God said, "The man has become like one of us, since he knows good and evil. He must not reach out and take the fruit from the tree of life and eat. Then he would live forever."(GW)

I'll try to explain it, as best I can. And by the way, that is a GREAT question!

First of all, now that you've asked the question... I use the King James Version, and it says it this way:
Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

Genesis 3:22
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Now, lets run over to the New Testament:
John 1:1-10
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Linda, this is how John, the disciple of Jesus, introduced Jesus Christ! He was THERE, in the beginning. My goodness, the world was MADE by him! The fact is, Linda, verse 3 says, "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." ALL THINGS! The entire vast universe and everything in it!

You see, Jesus came in the flesh, as a little baby, and his purpose in coming in the flesh was that he would one day die for the sins of the world. His beginning was not that little baby in a manger...he was in the very beginning, at the creation of heaven and earth!

And, he even spoke a little about this. Notice this passage:
John 8:
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Now, don't ask me to explain how he became a little baby in a manger. I don't claim to know how he did that. But he left the splendor of glory to come here and live in flesh, just like you and I, and every other person who ever lived!

I hope this helps, Sweetie!

Julian
Jan 13th 2009, 06:22 AM

This section doesn't say that God referred to himself as plural. That would have to be assumed from what is not said. The LORD indeed is able to talk TO the angels, and almost immediately after what he spake here - he set Cherebums (angelic beings) to keep the way of the tree of life.

Recall that the angels knew good and evil as well - and man would have been unredeemed had he ate and lived forever at that point.

Later on, even Christ himself reveals:
Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Men, in the resurrection, are as the angels of God in heaven. Good thing Chirstians are redeemed before going there and living forever.

I don't think God was concerned that man had become like the eternal, uncreated Most High God, the Almighty LORD (who HE Himself made man) - but rather that man then would have been living forever, knowing good and evil, in an unredeemed state and the angels ALSO knew good and evil. The angels aren't said to be mortal, but they are created, as is man. Is God saying: "Man will be like one of the three of us in the trinity?" It doesn't make much sense, even in context, that man would be become like the 3 and not the angels, especially since God already created the angels and they knew good and evil as well.

-------------------------

Also - concerning the other verse you mentioned - I don't understand how it could be talking about the invisible/unseen Father nor the holy spirit is that is spirit. How can you see spirit??

Perhaps the image of God is referred to here:
John 4:24 God is Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Upon a closer look at Genesis 1&2 we see that God made man with a body, he became a living soul (nephesh in Hebrew, that which God breathed into him), and in His image (spirit). Body, Soul & Spirit:
1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

crossnote
Jan 13th 2009, 06:51 AM
This section doesn't say that God referred to himself as plural. That would have to be assumed from what is not said. The LORD indeed is able to talk TO the angels, and almost immediately after what he spake here - he set Cherebums (angelic beings) to keep the way of the tree of life.

No biggie for the Trinity to be conversing amongst themselves. We seen it often when Jesus was on earth He prayed/spoke often to the Father. I just think that verse in Genesis is a slight hint or foreshadow of what is to come.

Julian
Jan 13th 2009, 07:16 AM
No biggie for the Trinity to be conversing amongst themselves. We seen it often when Jesus was on earth He prayed/spoke often to the Father. I just think that verse in Genesis is a slight hint or foreshadow of what is to come.
Of course they talk amongst themselves, that's part of the doctrine. But you've got to admit that the angels knew good & evil, especially if 1/3 of them got 'kicked out' of heaven for choosing the latter with Lucifer. Plus angelic beings are placed at the garden immediately after God said this.

I'm not trying to take away from the doctrine, but this might not be an occasion where it is specifically mentioned, and it doesn't actually say that God referred to himself as plural there. The angels were around and DID know good & evil as well.

We can agree that it speaks of: "One of us" that knows good and evil.

Who knew good and evil at that time? (Only the trinity? No.)

Am I missing something here that it says?

Over and out.

parker
Jan 13th 2009, 08:03 AM
The belief in more than one god was probably fairly common because of how often it is denounced in the Bible. Some archeological finds have even found inscriptions of Yahweh and Asherah (a female deity) together. Some say that monotheism and polytheism existed in conflict and at the same time, and some of the stories in the Bible reflect that.

MercyChild
Jan 13th 2009, 08:06 AM
Well thank you for the info guys, to be honest at thirst, I thought that perhaps He was referring to the trinity as well..............Mean I know the word trinity is not in the Bible. But many refrences is made to the Fater, Son and Holy Spirit.............

Lavrai
Jan 13th 2009, 09:50 AM

Recall that the angels knew good and evil as well - and man would have been unredeemed had he ate and lived forever at that point.

Later on, even Christ himself reveals:
Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Men, in the resurrection, are as the angels of God in heaven. Good thing Chirstians are redeemed before going there and living forever.

I don't think God was concerned that man had become like the eternal, uncreated Most High God, the Almighty LORD (who HE Himself made man) - but rather that man then would have been living forever, knowing good and evil, in an unredeemed state and the angels ALSO knew good and evil. The angels aren't said to be mortal, but they are created, as is man. Is God saying: "Man will be like one of the three of us in the trinity?" It doesn't make much sense, even in context, that man would be become like the 3 and not the angels, especially since God already created the angels and they knew good and evil as well.

-------------------------

Also - concerning the other verse you mentioned - I don't understand how it could be talking about the invisible/unseen Father nor the holy spirit is that is spirit. How can you see spirit??

Perhaps the image of God is referred to here:
John 4:24 God is Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Upon a closer look at Genesis 1&2 we see that God made man with a body, he became a living soul (nephesh in Hebrew, that which God breathed into him), and in His image (spirit). Body, Soul & Spirit:
1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Hello, Julian.

I am curious about your conclusions regarding Gen. 1: 26:“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

You seem to be suggesting that the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY was addressing the angels when HE said, "Let US..."

The Holy Bible doesn't indicated that angels have any ability to create... for they, too, it appears are created beings. In Gen. 1:1 it reads "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The rest of the narrative goes on to document the rest of GOD's creations. No where does it indicate that angels had a hand in creating anything...

The angels may know good and evil... as we do, too, but they have no powers to create life as the LORD doe. As HE basically asks Job in chapter 38 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=22&chapter=38&version=50) of the same book, "Where you there...at creation?

And, as someone else pointed out, the Holy Bible points out WHO was there and had an active hand in creation, as revealed in John 1:1-10. Christ Jesus. GOD the FATHER, GOD the SON and GOD the Holy Spirit was there from before the beginning -- if HE is the same yesterday, today and forevermore...

Also, your statement: "I don't understand how it could be talking about the invisible/unseen Father nor the holy spirit is that is spirit. How can you see spirit??"

This passage in the Holy Bible isn't in the voice of a human being saying "Let US..." for then we were made. We are the ones who don't see spirits naturally. Nothing is invisible to the FATHER.

Why is it hard to understand that the LORD likely said to HIS RIGHT HAND, "Let US make man..." as our likeness... to be a symbol of authority on the earth and have dominion over it.

Julian
Jan 13th 2009, 02:17 PM
Hello, Julian.

I am curious about your conclusions regarding Gen. 1: 26:“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

You seem to be suggesting that the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY was addressing the angels when HE said, "Let US..."

The Holy Bible doesn't indicated that angels have any ability to create... for they, too, it appears are created beings. In Gen. 1:1 it reads "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The rest of the narrative goes on to document the rest of GOD's creations. No where does it indicate that angels had a hand in creating anything...

The angels may know good and evil... as we do, too, but they have no powers to create life as the LORD doe. As HE basically asks Job in chapter 38 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=22&chapter=38&version=50) of the same book, "Where you there...at creation?

And, as someone else pointed out, the Holy Bible points out WHO was there and had an active hand in creation, as revealed in John 1:1-10. Christ Jesus. GOD the FATHER, GOD the SON and GOD the Holy Spirit was there from before the beginning -- if HE is the same yesterday, today and forevermore...

Also, your statement: "I don't understand how it could be talking about the invisible/unseen Father nor the holy spirit is that is spirit. How can you see spirit??"

This passage in the Holy Bible isn't in the voice of a human being saying "Let US..." for then we were made. We are the ones who don't see spirits naturally. Nothing is invisible to the FATHER.

Why is it hard to understand that the LORD likely said to HIS RIGHT HAND, "Let US make man..." as our likeness... to be a symbol of authority on the earth and have dominion over it.
I'm not suggesting that. Thanks for checking though!

I realize nothing is invisible to the Father - but they were made in some image - and those words were used for man to understand what happened.

I never said it is hard to understand as you mention in your last paragraph. Perhaps that is the very understanding we need to have on that section. Please don't assume that about me.

What is the image of God if not spirit? For that is what God is, even declared by the Lord Jesus Christ himself. That is my focus on the verse, and it had nothing to do with angels creating (perhaps others have said this to you before and you are carrying that thinking into what I didn't say). For the most part, I choose my words very carefully around here and mean what I say. Sorry if I was misleading, but after reading what I wrote again - I don't think I was. I trust this clarifies any of the curiosity you had.

God bless you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!

MercyChild
Jan 13th 2009, 03:28 PM
Ok, so I think that I indeed got it.......So the plural, did indeed refer to the Father God, the Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit..........:idea:

crossnote
Jan 14th 2009, 06:26 AM
Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness.

Man is not made in the image of angels. Therefore 'our image' is referring to man being made in the image of God leaving the word 'our' to mean the Trinity.

MercyChild
Jan 14th 2009, 07:55 AM
Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness.

Man is not made in the image of angels. Therefore 'our image' is referring to man being made in the image of God leaving the word 'our' to mean the Trinity.

Thank you so much for your input. :hug:
:idea:I have the answer to my question than. No more further arguments.....I totaly agree with your statement. Did some asking and searching as well, so rest assured. This surely was the trinity that the Bible spoke about.........Actually it struck me as somewhat amazing, to know that right from the begining, the trinity was mentioned.............That was pretty Awesome to know!:pp

MercyChild
Jan 14th 2009, 11:02 AM
Right this is how I was explained.

If you take and egg for instance. It has the shell, the white and yellow. Three diffrent parts, but yet forming one egg. So is God yet three in one. Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I understood this explanation an it makes perfect sense to me. I am not good in explaining, but hope you can understand it too.

Walstib
Jan 14th 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi MercyChild,

The egg thing works to a degree but then people will argue you can separate those parts.

I think of light itself.

It is a wave in a way

it is a particle in a way at the same time

and it has an electromagnetic force that can be measured.

We can observe all three aspects of this with it all being of the same essence, never one aspect being divisible from the others.

Don't know if that is to scientific for you, but it helps me.

Peace,
Joe

MercyChild
Jan 14th 2009, 01:01 PM
Thank you, yeah this does make sense to me........:pp

Joe King
Jan 14th 2009, 01:05 PM
Can anyone explain what the 7 spirits of God are??

Revelation 3:1
[ To the Church in Sardis ] "To the angel of the church in Sardis write:These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
Revelation 3:1-3 (in Context) Revelation 3 (Whole Chapter)
Revelation 4:5
From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. Before the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.
Revelation 4:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 4 (Whole Chapter)
Revelation 5:6
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.