PDA

View Full Version : good and evil, or life and death?

Partaker of Christ
Jan 12th 2009, 10:42 PM
Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
Deu 30:20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

My question is:
Do we as Christians live by choosing between good and evil, or life and death?

Can we choose 'good' and it bring death, rather then life?

Example: The law is good, but if we live under the law, it will bring death.

We know that we can do many 'good' things, but not have love. This work of good is emptiness and death (absent of life)

We can do 'good' but not have faith (or we can have doubt), and without faith it is impossible to please Him.

We can give, but not be a cheerful giver.

Look at Matt 7:22;

Matt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Are not these 'good' things, and not evil?

Ixthus
Jan 15th 2009, 05:21 PM
Here's my take on your questions

1. We choose both. There are a lot of people out there that are "good" but are not saved.
2. Yes, people can be "good" as in trying to keep the law but they may not be saved. So in that case it would bring death.

Yukerboy
Jan 15th 2009, 05:29 PM
Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
Deu 30:20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

My question is:
Do we as Christians live by choosing between good and evil, or life and death?

Can we choose 'good' and it bring death, rather then life?

Example: The law is good, but if we live under the law, it will bring death.

We know that we can do many 'good' things, but not have love. This work of good is emptiness and death (absent of life)

We can do 'good' but not have faith (or we can have doubt), and without faith it is impossible to please Him.

We can give, but not be a cheerful giver.

Look at Matt 7:22;

Matt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Are not these 'good' things, and not evil?

for whatever is not from faith is sin.

If I run into a burning house and save a child from the flames, if I had no faith in God, it is sin.

If that child was praying for God to help save her and God willed that I do that to save her, then I sinned by the will of God.

So, I guess my point is, define good.

Doing what I did would be viewed as good in most people's eyes, though by doing it, I sinned.

RogerW
Jan 15th 2009, 06:17 PM
for whatever is not from faith is sin.

If I run into a burning house and save a child from the flames, if I had no faith in God, it is sin.

If that child was praying for God to help save her and God willed that I do that to save her, then I sinned by the will of God.

So, I guess my point is, define good.

Doing what I did would be viewed as good in most people's eyes, though by doing it, I sinned.

Hi Yuke,

I agree without faith all we do is sin! However running into the burning house to save the child, thereby doing the will of God was not a sinful act. For God uses evil people (Pharaoh) to accomplish His purposes, and His purposes are not sinful. Therefore you did not sin according to the will of God, your sin is that you have not faith.

Whatever we (Christians) do must be done with the conviction that it is agreeable to the will of God. It is regarding liberty given believers that Paul said, "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Many Blessings,
RW

Yukerboy
Jan 15th 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Yuke,

I agree without faith all we do is sin! However running into the burning house to save the child, thereby doing the will of God was not a sinful act. For God uses evil people (Pharaoh) to accomplish His purposes, and His purposes are not sinful. Therefore you did not sin according to the will of God, your sin is that you have not faith.

Whatever we (Christians) do must be done with the conviction that it is agreeable to the will of God. It is regarding liberty given believers that Paul said, "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Many Blessings,
RW

Right. My point is whether an unbelieving man saves a child from a burning building or kills that same child, it is sinful for neither were done of faith. And in both cases, the will of God will be done.