PDA

View Full Version : Will and Desire of God?

reformedct
Jan 13th 2009, 05:33 PM
Is there a difference between Gods active will, what actually happens in life, and His passive will(desire) ie ( not willing that any should perish).

For example: we know God can make food fall from heaven. He did it before right? And God doesnt desire that anyone starve to death right? So why not just rain down manna! Problem solved!

We know that God posses the ability to do something about what He doesnt do something about right? Like Im sure God didnt say "YES!" when John got his head chopped off. But yet at the same time we know God could have sent an angel to release John from prison, yet He didnt.

It seems there is a difference between Gods desire(passive will) and what He actually does(active, accomplished will)

Ideas? Thoughts? Views? Scriptures?

mikebr
Jan 13th 2009, 10:00 PM
Precious in the site of the Lord is the Death of His loved ones. I believe that God does desire that everyone die a physical death. Unless a seed is planted kind of stuff. :idea: To say that God doesn't desire people starve to death would mean that He desired certain methods of death over others. Does He desire that all live until a ripe old age? Probably not. Jesus was much more apt to raise someone from the dead than He was to prevent someone's death. I can't think of one instance where He prevented a death. (I'm sure someone will point one out) The problem is that we think God's will should match ours. We don't desire that anyone die so why should God. Well that's obvious to me. So we can be like Him and know Him as we are known.

I don't believe there is a difference in His passive will and His active will as you call them. What if His passive will accomplishes His desired will?

Friend of I AM
Jan 13th 2009, 10:06 PM
Is there a difference between Gods active will, what actually happens in life, and His passive will(desire) ie ( not willing that any should perish).

For example: we know God can make food fall from heaven. He did it before right? And God doesnt desire that anyone starve to death right? So why not just rain down manna! Problem solved!

We know that God posses the ability to do something about what He doesnt do something about right? Like Im sure God didnt say "YES!" when John got his head chopped off. But yet at the same time we know God could have sent an angel to release John from prison, yet He didnt.

It seems there is a difference between Gods desire(passive will) and what He actually does(active, accomplished will)

Ideas? Thoughts? Views? Scriptures?

The bible doesn't specifically mention any distinctions between God's will. But the implication that I think is given within the bible is that God's will is always present and working within the lives of his creations.(i.e. he is working all things for the good of all those who love him)

TrustingFollower
Jan 13th 2009, 10:52 PM
Let's look at from a little different perspective. God could have made man perfect for all eternity by not putting the tree of good and evil in the garden, but he didn't. Why did God put the tree in the garden if he knew we would sin by eating of that tree. Simply put God allowed us to sin and with that he can demonstrate his power through it.

The simple fact that some of us turn toward him and will live for eternity and others will not turn to him in and of itself a demonstration of that power. By the display of his power it brings glory to him in the way that he is only worthy of. The entire world is his display of power for us and thus his glory.

So God could rescue anyone at any time and his will is that all should come to repentance, the fact is this world brings glory to God through the demonstration of his power. When it is all said and done when we get to see the new heaven and earth we will see the full demonstration of his power and glory and that is God's will.

reformedct
Jan 14th 2009, 01:46 AM
Let's look at from a little different perspective. God could have made man perfect for all eternity by not putting the tree of good and evil in the garden, but he didn't. Why did God put the tree in the garden if he knew we would sin by eating of that tree. Simply put God allowed us to sin and with that he can demonstrate his power through it.

The simple fact that some of us turn toward him and will live for eternity and others will not turn to him in and of itself a demonstration of that power. By the display of his power it brings glory to him in the way that he is only worthy of. The entire world is his display of power for us and thus his glory.

So God could rescue anyone at any time and his will is that all should come to repentance, the fact is this world brings glory to God through the demonstration of his power. When it is all said and done when we get to see the new heaven and earth we will see the full demonstration of his power and glory and that is God's will.

this is a cool explanation. I am still wrestling though so much with this two wills or desire/will thing but this post helped out