PDA

View Full Version : What is the reason and benefits of oil annointing?

moonglow
Jan 13th 2009, 08:08 PM
Of course this being bible chat, I would like scriptures on it. I haven't done alot of studying on this topic and am curious about. It came to my mind about Jesus being anointed with oil shortly before He was arrested and put on the cross. So I would like information on that and others anointed with oil in the bible and the reasons and benefits for it. I realize their are other types of 'anointing' used in the bible that aren't about using the oil but right now I would like to stick with the oil...if possible. Thanks.

God bless

HisLeast
Jan 13th 2009, 08:30 PM
Of course this being bible chat, I would like scriptures on it. I haven't done alot of studying on this topic and am curious about. It came to my mind about Jesus being anointed with oil shortly before He was arrested and put on the cross. So I would like information on that and others anointed with oil in the bible and the reasons and benefits for it. I realize their are other types of 'anointing' used in the bible that aren't about using the oil but right now I would like to stick with the oil...if possible.

Might be something similar to refraining from mixed fabrics: something we'll never understand. If I were to wager a guess I'd say three things.
1) It was common enough to be close at hand. (rather than anointing with bald eagle feathers or Faberge eggs)
2) It was valuable enough to be precious. (rather than water)
3) A clear instruction so religious fervor wouldn't mutate the ritual into something pagan. (like annointing with human blood or something crazy)

Diggindeeper
Jan 13th 2009, 08:54 PM
Julie, James the disciple said this:

James 6:
10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

miepie
Jan 13th 2009, 08:59 PM
I have been anointed with oil for the reasons bolded above this post from Judy........ :) I never got healed but I did receive strength and the peace that passeth all understanding, which is just as worthfull........

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

moonglow
Jan 13th 2009, 09:01 PM
Julie, James the disciple said this:

James 6:
10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

miepie I have been anointed with oil for the reasons bolded above this post from Judy........ I never got healed but I did receive strength and the peace that passeth all understanding, which is just as worthfull........

Love you,
Mieke

Thanks to you both for your input...but what about Jesus' anointing with oil? He wasn't sick. :hmm: Thanks also HisLeast for your input too. :)

God bless

miepie
Jan 13th 2009, 09:07 PM
John 12:3-8
Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment. [4] Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, [5] Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? [6] This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein. [7] Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this. [8] For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

Love you,

chad
Jan 13th 2009, 09:15 PM
Here is some information about the use of Oil from the Holman Bible Dictionary.

OIL An indispensable commodity in the Ancient Near East for food, medicine, fuel, and ritual. Oil was considered a blessing given by God (Deut. 11:14), and the olive tree was a characteristic of the land which God gave to Israel (Deut. 8:8).

Preparation In biblical times, domestic oil was prepared from olives. Sometimes oil was combined with perfumes and used as a cosmetic (Esth. 2:12). The extraction of oil from olives is abundantly confirmed by archaeological findings of stone presses found at several sites in Palestine. See Agriculture. This oil, called "beaten oil," was lighter and considered the best oil. After the beaten oil was extracted, another grade of oil was produced by heating the pulp and pressing it again.

Domestic oil was stored in small cruses, pots, or jars (1 Kings 17:12; 2 Kings 4:2); oil used in religious ceremonies was also kept in horns (1 Sam. 16:13).

Use Oil was used in a variety of ways in biblical times; but, most often, oil was used in the preparation of food, taking the place of animal fat. Oil was used with meal in the preparation of cakes (Num. 11:8; 1 Kings 17:12-16) and with honey (Ezek. 16:13), flour (Lev. 2:1,4), and wine (Rev. 6:6).

Oil was used as fuel for lamps, both in homes (Matt. 25:3) and in the tabernacle (Ex. 25:6).

Oil was extensively used in religious ceremonies. The morning and evening sacrifices required, in addition to the lambs, a tenth of a measure of fine flour and a fourth of a hin of beaten oil. Other cereal offerings also required oil. Oil was used during the offering of purification from leprosy. In the New Testament, oil was used to anoint a body in preparation for burial (Matt. 26:12; Mark 14:8). Several persons in the Old Testament were anointed with oil: kings (1 Sam. 10:1; 16:13), priests (Lev. 8:30), and possibly prophets (1 Kings. 19:16; Isa. 61:1). Some objects were also anointed in dedication to God: the tabernacle and all its furniture (Ex. 40:9-11), the shields of soldiers (2 Sam. 1:21; Isa. 21:5), altars (Lev. 8:10-11), and pillars (Gen. 35:14).

As medicine, oil or ointment was used in the treatment of wounds (Isa. 1:6; Luke 10:34). James 5:14 may refer either to a symbolic use of oil or to its medicinal use.
Oil was used cosmetically as protection against the scorching sun or the dryness of the desert (Ruth 3:3; Eccl. 9:8). Since olives were found in abundance in Palestine, olive oil was also used as a commodity of trade (1 Kings 5:11; Ezek. 27:17; Hos. 12:1). See Cosmetics; Commerce.

Oil was regarded as a symbol of honor (Judg. 9:9), while virtue was compared to perfumed oil (Song of Sol. 1:3; Eccl. 7:1). The abundance of oil was a demonstration of blessing and prosperity (Job 29:6); Joel 2:24). However, as a symbol of affluence, oil was also associated with the arrogance of the rich (Hebrew: "valley of oil"; KJV: "fat valley," Isa. 28:1,4). Oil was a symbol of joy and gladness (Ps. 45:7), and in time of sorrow, anointing with oil was not practiced (2 Sam. 14:2). See Anoint.

moonglow
Jan 13th 2009, 10:01 PM
John 12:3-8
Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment. [4] Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, [5] Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? [6] This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein. [7] Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this. [8] For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

Love you,

Thanks for that mieke...:)

I though there was more too it though? After all the word, Christ, means The anointed one...:hmm:

Thanks chad...I see at the bottom of that list it says See Anoint. I would like to see what it says about that. Thanks.

God bless