PDA

View Full Version : Love the Lord with all your.....

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 13th 2009, 10:05 PM
Why did Jesus add "mind" when he said it?

Deuteronomy 6:5 says, "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

Mark 12:30 says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

Why did he add on to it?

timmyb
Jan 14th 2009, 01:12 AM
does it really matter... the theme is give everything to God... it really doesn't matter that he may have added a word...

and even then, your mind is a cesspool for alot of sin... Jesus made mention in the Sermon on the Mount that most sin begins in the mind... so I wouldn't be surprised if he had to add 'mind' into it... doesn't hurt to mention another part of yourself that you have to give all to God anyway... why not mention everything lol

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 14th 2009, 01:31 AM
does it really matter... the theme is give everything to God... it really doesn't matter that he may have added a word...

I think that when Jesus quotes the most important law of the old testament (that jews, to this day recite regularly and engrave on their door posts) and reiterates it's significance, it's pretty relevant to know why he'd add something more to it.

timmyb
Jan 14th 2009, 01:42 AM
I think that when Jesus quotes the most important law of the old testament (that jews, to this day recite regularly and engrave on their door posts) and reiterates it's significance, it's pretty relevant to know why he'd add something more to it.

in the sermon on the mount he clarified the law when he told them that sin begins in the mind... something the Jews didn't teach at all... their definition of sin was the action itself and not the thought... he didn't add to the commandment when he said mind, he clarified it... saying mind doesn't 'add' to it, it puts the commandment into a clarified perspective

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 14th 2009, 02:19 AM
So are you saying theirs not a distinguished difference between the mind and the other things named?

JesusMySavior
Jan 14th 2009, 05:24 AM
So are you saying theirs not a distinguished difference between the mind and the other things named?

What you feed your mind and your thoughts with will eventually come out in your actions. The mind is a very important subject, and it's often called a "battlefield" in Christiandom. This is why it's so very important to guard your thoughts and to filter what you hear and what goes into your mind and thoughts because sooner or later, they're gonna come out somewhere. I believe Jesus added it because it was, and remains, a crucial part of Christiandom.

Ephesians 4:23 says "and be renewed in the spirit of your mind"

Colossians 3:2 says "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."

Ephesians 2:2-3 talks about the desires of the mind...

"In which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others."

Deut 6:5 says basically to give God all you've got. Jesus, as God, also teaches us to give God all you've got, but adds "your mind", for perhaps many didn't realize that the mind is a powerful thing. It's where temptation begins and deception lies and the battle is fought.

I think that's what timmyb is trying to say? If not please correct me timmy and clarify :)

Be enriched, friend.

doubledcattle
Jan 14th 2009, 03:32 PM
When you think about it your mind can get you in trouble. You think a bad though, you think about a woman, you think about what you wish you had , what you want etc... These thoughts lead to sin. If you love God with your mind then I believe you are constantly thinking about Him, His love, His blessings, and what you want to see happen in your life. Along with loving Him with your mind I believe that we should be in the word daily and eventually you will want more and more and you will be thinking about what you have already read and want to read more and more. It turns into a hunger for God and you will find yourself thinking a lot more about God and and a lot less about worldly things.

kenrank
Jan 14th 2009, 03:43 PM
Why did Jesus add "mind" when he said it?

Deuteronomy 6:5 says, "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."

Mark 12:30 says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."

Why did he add on to it?

I am not really sure he did. When you look up the Hebrew word in Deut. translated in your version as strength, and in the KJV as might, it is mehode', which also carries the meanings vehemently, (with great force and/or eagerness). This then is an action more than a feeling, it requires thought, so using the word "mind" would cover this action. In other words, while heart and soul stem more from emotion and feeling (even faith), loving him with strength or might requires conscience thought...the mind.

Peace.
Ken

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 14th 2009, 05:27 PM
These all sound like convoluted answers..... :-/

timmyb
Jan 14th 2009, 06:42 PM
What you feed your mind and your thoughts with will eventually come out in your actions. The mind is a very important subject, and it's often called a "battlefield" in Christiandom. This is why it's so very important to guard your thoughts and to filter what you hear and what goes into your mind and thoughts because sooner or later, they're gonna come out somewhere. I believe Jesus added it because it was, and remains, a crucial part of Christiandom.

Ephesians 4:23 says "and be renewed in the spirit of your mind"

Colossians 3:2 says "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."

Ephesians 2:2-3 talks about the desires of the mind...

"In which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others."

Deut 6:5 says basically to give God all you've got. Jesus, as God, also teaches us to give God all you've got, but adds "your mind", for perhaps many didn't realize that the mind is a powerful thing. It's where temptation begins and deception lies and the battle is fought.

I think that's what timmyb is trying to say? If not please correct me timmy and clarify :)

Be enriched, friend.

keep in mind... Jesus added nothing to the law when he quoted it with the word 'mind' I think he was clarifying to the lawyers who try to find a way around God's word... the commandment in Deuteronomy 6:5 and Matthew 22:37 are the same thing... the Pharisees and lawyers were champions of saying the same thing that most in Chrisendom love to say... the God really didn't mean what he said.. Jesus was clarifying to the Pharisees and lawyers the severity of taking God at his word and giving them everything... If I can't give the Lord my mind and my thoughts, how can I say that I love him with all my heart?

What the Pharisees taught was that the 'action' of the sin was the sin. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus raised the bar on the commandment, in essense he clarified the word of the Lord to it's holiest form. He made the word of God the word of God in the mind of many people... the insincere will try to find every way around taking the word for what it really says and asking God to deal with the offense... they look at how 'impossible' the reality of the commandment is without gazing upon the God for whom all things are possible.

So in all that, Jesus in no way changed anything... Holiness is still the standard. By his blood we are made righteous and now have the grace upon our lives to live holy and like children, we are given freedom to make mistakes, for that we have repentance and God's grace... Jesus didn't add to the commandment, he RESTORED the commandment to it's original meaning

kenrank
Jan 14th 2009, 07:07 PM
These all sound like convoluted answers..... :-/

Thank you, I am glad to take the time to share my viewpoint with you.:rolleyes:

Ken