PDA

View Full Version : The appearance of Jesus?

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 13th 2009, 11:43 PM
What do you make of these verses and why are they never talked about?
(I've never been a fan of the supermodel, white guy, Jesus, so to me these were pretty neat)

Isaiah 52:14
Just as there were many who were appalled at him —
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness—

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

SeattleSun
Jan 14th 2009, 12:05 AM
Here's my two cents, 52:14 is His death on the cross, an abomination to the Jews. They could not look at Him. He died for our transgressions and He finished our transgressions. 53:2 is in regards to THE transgression, the rejection of His messiahship by Israel as prophecied.

If you're speaking about His earthly appearance, do you think He would look ordinary as a further test of Israel to accept their Messiah? Israel expected the Messiah to come as King, and with all kingly accoutrements. Saul and David apparently were exceeingly handsome men, not so Christ, establishing in Israel's mind that He did not fit the "king" description. It was God's power on display to prove His messiahship, not His appearance. He should have been born in riches, not poverty and have had every advantage available. That's who Israel expected, and in their unbelief, rejected Him.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 14th 2009, 01:17 AM
Very Good Thread...

Those first verses you quoted.. I believe point to when He was flogged and beaten before He went to the Cross.. When the Romans did that to a person.. It was very brutal... and that type of flogging would rip and tear pieces of flesh from the body.. I believe He was beaten so bad that His body almost looked disfiguered.. can you imagine being flogged.. and whipped.. skin swollen, bloody, blood pouring out all over.. not to say the crown of thorns that dug into His forehead.. creating blood fo flow across His face ....causing the skin to swell.. Its amazing what He endured... yet He did not sin.. did not raise His voice in opposition.. a Lamb brought before His shearer.. brought to the slaughter.. but God would not have it any other way.. He did drink of that Cup .. that cup He spoke of in the Garden.. and for that sake.. we have Eternal Life today.. because He took it.. He laid down His life.. and when they looked upon Him on the Cross.. it said King of the Jews.. this was not the King the Jews were looking for.. but He was their King.. and Is their King..

I also agree that the Jews were looking for a King that was arrayed in riches, not poverty, one that was handsome, good looking, one that appealed to the people thru the flesh... but what they Got was the True Messiah... one that Conquered Spiritually... There was no beauty that anybody would desire Him.. yet He drew those in by His Words.. which were Life.. Spiritual Words.. which are everlasting and are LIFE....

He came the first time as the Suffering Servant of Isaiah.. but He is returning again.. to this earth... physically and literally... not as the suffering servant.. but He is coming in Power and Glory and on the clouds.. just as He left earlier... He is coming as the King of kings and Lord of lords.... amen and amen...

In Dust and Ashes
Jan 14th 2009, 02:56 AM
I can see those interpretations, but I also think that the second verse can be taken more literal (or physical).

shepherdsword
Jan 14th 2009, 03:32 AM
Isaiah 52:14
Just as there were many who were appalled at him —
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness—

The Roman method of scourging was a horrible punishment. The whip used contained bits of metal and rocks woven in the many strands

(pic+design specs here:http://www.bible-history.com/past/flagrum.html)

They used the whip with a ripping cut away motion that gives great validity to the scourging scene from "The Passion" that I can hardly watch.
By the time the chastisement was finished the person was hardly unrecognizable. The disciples failed to recognize the Lord on the road to Amais. Some claim it was due to the after effect of the scourging because he did have his other scars,why not those?

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Jesus was tender hearted and compassionate in a world were all had sinned and most only had a love for themselves.(tender shoot) His fresh anointing brought life to those trapped in a dead institutional religious system(root out of dry ground)
His physical appearance didn't set him apart from other men. He wasn't notable either by his physical attractiveness or extreme lack of it. He just looked average. This seems to contradict the claims by many that his power over large crowds was due to his animal magnetism as defined by Mesmer(like many of today's false ministers). His ministry was one entirely of the Spirit.I like this thread because thinking about these two verses bring me closer to the Lord. It causes me to pause and think of the great price he paid, not only leaving his heavenly glory and becoming human flesh but after that...pouring his life out uinto the death. My heart is overwhelmed every time I consider this. I see him spread him arms and saying " I would rather die than live without you"

This blows me away.I can't help but Love Him

SeattleSun
Jan 14th 2009, 03:33 AM
I can see those interpretations, but I also think that the second verse can be taken more literal (or physical).

By the second verse, do you mean Isa. 53:2?

TBD gave an VERY literal discription of what happens when a person is crucified, but not entirely, TBD held back. Most people didn't make it to crucifxion after the scourging, being that ribs were torn out. What was said is enough. And that would be Isa. 52:14.

May I ask what you are specifically looking for in interpretation? Not that I'm an expert.

Both verses, IMO are literal. And we do desire Him. :)

I've pondered this too, why did Christ NOT come as king? I've answered it to my own satisfaction ... because that's what we, in our flesh, would do. He would not have gone through His suffering and humiliation. He's God! We would have exalted Him from the beginning. He would have turned the rocks into bread. Then He could not be who could sympathize with us and be our Mediator.

God's thoughts are above ours. Our plan would not have worked. The Father's, of course, did.

Jesus was fully man, and I am eternally grateful.

Joe King
Jan 14th 2009, 04:56 AM
By the second verse, do you mean Isa. 53:2?

TBD gave an VERY literal discription of what happens when a person is crucified, but not entirely, TBD held back. Most people didn't make it to crucifxion after the scourging, being that ribs were torn out. What was said is enough. And that would be Isa. 52:14.

May I ask what you are specifically looking for in interpretation? Not that I'm an expert.

Both verses, IMO are literal. And we do desire Him. :)

I've pondered this too, why did Christ NOT come as king? I've answered it to my own satisfaction ... because that's what we, in our flesh, would do. He would not have gone through His suffering and humiliation. He's God! We would have exalted Him from the beginning. He would have turned the rocks into bread. Then He could not be who could sympathize with us and be our Mediator.

God's thoughts are above ours. Our plan would not have worked. The Father's, of course, did.

Jesus was fully man, and I am eternally grateful.

I agree 100%. If the God of the universe can be humble, then why can't I?

JesusMySavior
Jan 14th 2009, 05:52 AM
I believe our Lord was born as lowly and humble as could be, so that

He could show the world His true nature and character
Set an example for the world to follow
Would be easily approachable as a common man who dwelt with common people, not to be a high king puffed up with pride
It was exactly opposite of what the pharisees were expecting which would throw them for a loop and cause them to question their hearts
To show the world that outer appearance and stature matters not, but moreso what is on the heart and in the will of the man that matters to God

Often times it hits me just right in the heart, to think that the King of the universe was a humble Lamb who came to earth to die for our sins. What a God. :cry: :pp