Zechariah 13:7 says

"Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd,
Against the Man who is My Companion,”
Says the LORD of hosts.

“ Strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep will be scattered;
Then I will turn My hand against the little ones."

Matthew 26:31 says

" Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

‘ I will strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’"

What I'm curious of here is, sometimes the OT prophecies seem to be taken out of context when they are quoted in the NT. Not that it's a contradiction - I love the Word of God and believe it to be truly alive. But in the verses before it, it explains that there will be no prophets in the land, and no one wearing coats of thick hair to deceive people. Yet John the Baptist was a prophet and wore camel's hair, and prepared the way for the Lord. Also, what's "I will turn My hand against the little ones" mean? Didn't Jesus love the children?

Please clarify! Thanks! :)

Steve M
Jan 14th 2009, 05:00 PM
Actually, I think it's the way it is for a specific reason; and one that causes me a lot of deep thought.

First of all; God authorized (allowed, permitted, didn't move against) those who killed His Son. Jesus said, that night, 'Don't you know my Father could call ten thousand angels?'

God was fully in control, and He is the one who arranged the situation. We're told Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

So God is the one who designed, planned, authorized. He used wicked men, as He can... but He did it because He loved the world so much.

in the verses before it, it explains that there will be no prophets in the land, and no one wearing coats of thick hair to deceive people. Yet John the Baptist was a prophet and wore camel's hair, and prepared the way for the Lord.

1"In that day a (A)fountain will be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for (B)sin and for (C)impurity.

2"It will come about in that day," declares the LORD of hosts, "that I will (D)cut off the names of the idols from the land, and they will no longer be remembered; and I will also remove the (E)prophets and the (F)unclean spirit from the land.

3"And if anyone still (G)prophesies, then his father and mother who gave birth to him will say to him, 'You shall (H)not live, for you have spoken (I)falsely in the name of the LORD'; and his (J)father and mother who gave birth to him will pierce him through when he prophesies.

4"Also it will come about in that day that the prophets will each be (K)ashamed of his vision when he prophesies, and they will not put on a (L)hairy robe in order to deceive;

5but he will say, 'I am (M)not a prophet; I am a tiller of the ground, for a man sold me as a slave in my youth.'

The context here seems to indicate He would cut off demons... and prophets who spoke falsely. Not true prophecy, and not true service to God, but the yammering off the many false prophets.

Also, what's "I will turn My hand against the little ones" mean? Didn't Jesus love the children?

Remember... 'whom the Lord loveth, He chasteneth.'

I try to remember that, whenever bad things happen to me. :)

JesusMySavior
Jan 14th 2009, 05:07 PM
Actually, I think it's the way it is for a specific reason; and one that causes me a lot of deep thought.

First of all; God authorized (allowed, permitted, didn't move against) those who killed His Son. Jesus said, that night, 'Don't you know my Father could call ten thousand angels?'

God was fully in control, and He is the one who arranged the situation. We're told Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

So God is the one who designed, planned, authorized. He used wicked men, as He can... but He did it because He loved the world so much.

1"In that day a (A)fountain will be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for (B)sin and for (C)impurity.

2"It will come about in that day," declares the LORD of hosts, "that I will (D)cut off the names of the idols from the land, and they will no longer be remembered; and I will also remove the (E)prophets and the (F)unclean spirit from the land.

3"And if anyone still (G)prophesies, then his father and mother who gave birth to him will say to him, 'You shall (H)not live, for you have spoken (I)falsely in the name of the LORD'; and his (J)father and mother who gave birth to him will pierce him through when he prophesies.

4"Also it will come about in that day that the prophets will each be (K)ashamed of his vision when he prophesies, and they will not put on a (L)hairy robe in order to deceive;

5but he will say, 'I am (M)not a prophet; I am a tiller of the ground, for a man sold me as a slave in my youth.'

The context here seems to indicate He would cut off demons... and prophets who spoke falsely. Not true prophecy, and not true service to God, but the yammering off the many false prophets.

Remember... 'whom the Lord loveth, He chasteneth.'

I try to remember that, whenever bad things happen to me. :)

Thank you for clearing that up, Steve! I had been reading through Zechariah and when I hit those verses I remember seeing them in the Gospels, but the initial reaction I had was that the Lord was going to turn His hand AGAINST the children, which would make sense from what I had been reading in the rest of the book. Another question here, so why do many NT quotes of the OT prophecies not line up perfectly and why is there a difference in meaning?

I hope God will grant us both wisdom to keep seeking Him and find His will.

If anybody else has input, please do post! Thanks!

John146
Jan 14th 2009, 06:49 PM
Another question here, so why do many NT quotes of the OT prophecies not line up perfectly and why is there a difference in meaning? God's ways are not our ways. We have a tendency to be very literal about things but God is not that way. Sometimes He wants us to spiritually discern the truth rather than spell everything out for us. Notice how much of the time Jesus spoke in parables. Quite often. Only believers could understand what He was saying. It's the same with OT prophecy.

1 Cor 2
9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 02:26 AM
i think they are simply paraphrasing by the influence of the Spirit to reveal more truth. For example in the NT we learn that Abraham had faith that even if Isaac died God could resurrect him. I dont think that was written anywhere in the OT. Also we find that Abels offering was accepted because it was by faith. but remember the word is living and active. it is more than just language and actual words. It is a living being. What is written on our pages does not fully explain everything. It explains enough that we need to know tho. just my opinion