PDA

View Full Version : Mark Driscoll on Suffering

reformedct
Jan 14th 2009, 08:02 PM
A lot of people have railed on Mark for preaching about sex and such. However here is a good example of how he also preaches about suffering and everything else:

http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial/trial-and-sin

Mark simply preaches through books of the Bible. Once he got to song of solomon, everyone said he was a perverted sex crazed preacher who should be talking about the rapture. What they dont realize is that prior to the book of songs of solomon, mark preached thru the entire books of Revelation, ephesians, genesis, John, the Epistles of John, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs. All of the sudden when he got to Song of Solomon everyone was saying he only talks about sex. He is now starting up with 1st and 2nd peter and i think this is a good video to show how he also preaches on how we must suffer for Christ and persecution. I believe everyone can be encouraged by this video. Enjoy and then we can discuss the video here

HisLeast
Jan 14th 2009, 08:09 PM
A lot of people have railed on Mark for preaching about sex and such. However here is a good example of how he also preaches about suffering and everything else:

Mark simply preaches through books of the Bible. Once he got to song of solomon, everyone said he was a perverted sex crazed preacher who should be talking about the rapture. What they dont realize is that prior to the book of songs of solomon, mark preached thru the entire books of Revelation, ephesians, genesis, John, the Epistles of John, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs. All of the sudden when he got to Song of Solomon everyone was saying he only talks about sex. He is now starting up with 1st and 2nd peter and i think this is a good video to show how he also preaches on how we must suffer for Christ and persecution. I believe everyone can be encouraged by this video. Enjoy and then we can discuss the video here

There are few things that rile people up more than leaders who talk about blessings.

Steve M
Jan 14th 2009, 08:17 PM
Found an article on him.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/12/america/11punkt.php

New members can keep their taste in music, their retro T-shirts and their intimidating facial hair, but they had better abandon their feminism, premarital sex and any "modern" interpretations of the Bible.

That quote right there tells me a lot of what I want to know. He's a dude that holds to the line on sin, and if he says it in a way that is more like what I like to listen to on Monday than Sunday, that's fine. If he's packaged the gospel a little differently without changing it, then I guess that's fine.

There's a lot of criticism; but I don't follow men, and their teachings, but God, and His. So unless the fellow is giving the Church a bad name, then it's not my place to judge. "I give thanks to God that Christ is preached."

SeattleSun
Jan 14th 2009, 09:07 PM

Pastor Mark is my pastor and he did indeed receive much criticism for the Song of Solomon series. Its easy to criticize, but everything was put into the context of biblical marriage and biblical families. I have to admit though, some of those texted questions answered live did get me a bit "squirmy". :lol:

He's taught through many more books than that, you can find them on the MHC website in the media library. He's an incredibly gifted teacher ... very seldom do I walk out of a sermon where I'm not convicted of something.

What people don't understand or don't want to admit is that MHC has grown tremendously in what is considered the least-churched city in the country. Its a young church with young people (but with a lot of us old stones, but we go to an early services), and many are broken and Pastor Mark and the other pastors show them the only way to get fixed is Jesus. Pastor Mark has been criticized for years before SofS, sex of any sort outside of marriage is a sin, woman should submit to husbands (both lovingly of course), no women pastors. IOW, MCH is biblical and there is no appeasement in God's Word.

I've had the honor of hearing the testimonies of many who may have come to MHC only to hear the music, or ridicule and laugh at the Seattle "fundies", only to later devote their lives to Jesus.

There's a separate site for the Trials series:

http://www.8witnesses.com/

There's a 198 workbook/study guide that can be downloaded. (At least my hardcopy is 198 pages.)

BrckBrln
Jan 14th 2009, 09:24 PM
I listened to the sermon last night and it was excellent as usual. I love Driscoll and it saddens me to read some of the things said about him on certain places on the web. But this talk was coming from people who don't think Song of Solomon should ever be preached or even read by anybody under 50!

Bethany67
Jan 15th 2009, 06:41 AM
I've been following his preaching since last summer, and personally thought his series on the SoS was great, as was the Corinthian and Philippians series. Currently going through Redeeming Ruth again on my iPod - just beautiful. He's hardhitting and challenging, and he doesn't fudge issues; even my Pagan husband will listen to him quietly when I play it out loud. Must investigate the media library.

Bethany67
Jan 15th 2009, 06:05 PM
Note to self: if I listen to Mark on my iPod and laugh and cry out loud, don't be surprised when other people on the train give me funny looks. His first session on 1 Peter is just amazing.

Athanasius
Jan 15th 2009, 06:08 PM
It's his time in the emerging church movement that most people criticise (especially his swearing and "unique" sense of humor). No apologies, though (even if he's 4.5 star Calvinist)... I quite like Pastor Driscoll.

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 06:28 PM
It's his time in the emerging church movement that most people criticise (especially his swearing and "unique" sense of humor). No apologies, though (even if he's 4.5 star Calvinist)... I quite like Pastor Driscoll.

i am so glad that he has taken the time to distance himself from the emergent church of liberal doctrine. Speakers like rob bell are so gifted with the ability to speak, it is a shame that they did not follow suit as well. Mark has even voiced that he doesnt really consider his church emerging but rather independant. He also welcomes both calvinsts and arminians to his church. He has said that anyone that loves Jesus, repents of sin, and puts faith in Christ is welcome

i pray God conitnues to grow that church as a light in the darkness. You guys can also check out Matt Chandler from the Village Church he is friends with Mark they have a simlar preaching style

Veretax
Jan 15th 2009, 08:08 PM
Well now you guys have me curious, is there a particular site where some of his messages are posted, because having seen his name in a couple threads now, I am curious what he has to say.

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 08:11 PM
Well now you guys have me curious, is there a particular site where some of his messages are posted, because having seen his name in a couple threads now, I am curious what he has to say.

just check out the link in the OP. his church website: www.marshillchurch.org (http://www.marshillchurch.org)
has all of his teachings from like 2002 in the sermons section

make sure it is Mark. There is a false church also named Mars Hill in another state whose pastors name is Rob Bell. His teachings have receieved a lot of criticsm as being heretical. so make sure it is .org

Good luck!

Bethany67
Jan 15th 2009, 08:28 PM
Yep, that would be Rob Bell of Mars Hill Bible Church in Michigan.

SeattleSun
Jan 15th 2009, 10:09 PM

Sigh, that "cussing pastor" label is totally misleading and unfair and wrong. I've attended MHC for almost 4 years, have listened to all of the past series and have listened to Mark teach in small group settings (like last night). NEVER has he uttered a word that could be construed as "cussing".

I guess his sense of humor could be called unique, being he's a pastor. I don't think John MacArthur (who I adore) would ever make the same analogies using humor.

He loves Jesus, God's Word, God's people, and that's what comes across. And if others refuse to look at that and rely on other people's opinions only, that's very sad IMO.

If anyone is interested in the Emerging vs. Emergent deal, just search it here:

http://theresurgence.com/

Resurgence grew out of MHC into an international collaboration, its interesting, check it out.

BrckBrln
Jan 15th 2009, 10:27 PM
It's crazy how much hate there is out there for Driscoll and everybody who associates with him like John Piper and D.A. Carson. I'm thinking of one place in particular who is rooting for Driscoll's ministry to fail. That is hardly a Christian attitude. This really hits a nerve with me.

reformedct
Jan 16th 2009, 01:18 AM
Sigh, that "cussing pastor" label is totally misleading and unfair and wrong. I've attended MHC for almost 4 years, have listened to all of the past series and have listened to Mark teach in small group settings (like last night). NEVER has he uttered a word that could be construed as "cussing".

I guess his sense of humor could be called unique, being he's a pastor. I don't think John MacArthur (who I adore) would ever make the same analogies using humor.

He loves Jesus, God's Word, God's people, and that's what comes across. And if others refuse to look at that and rely on other people's opinions only, that's very sad IMO.

If anyone is interested in the Emerging vs. Emergent deal, just search it here:

http://theresurgence.com/

Resurgence grew out of MHC into an international collaboration, its interesting, check it out.

i must admit that i did hear him say the "d" word ONCE. that was it. It was an emotional message about hell and he was saying " i know in this day and age im not supposed to talk about hell but frankly i dont give a d-" Also at a conference he said something along the lines of "jack-a". Out of about 150 sermons that i have listened to, these are the only two times i have EVER heard him "curse". Its so sickening when i see all these religious labels of "the cussing pastor" just because he used strong language like twice in the past. They try to paint him as some wild pastor cursing at every service and doing all these sinful things. AT the end of the day, Mark is theologically sound and spreads the gospel. He has been pivotal in helping me see that Jesus is not who our culture thinks He is. He is not a feathered hair hippie. Jesus was a carpenter who flipped tables and took a brutal bloody beating and rose again. He helped me see Jesus in a powerful way that made me want to serve Him. I thank God for Marks ministry. He has challenged me to grow in holiness and to be a man for Jesus

SeattleSun
Jan 16th 2009, 01:43 AM
i must admit that i did hear him say the "d" word ONCE. that was it. It was an emotional message about hell and he was saying " i know in this day and age im not supposed to talk about hell but frankly i dont give a d-" Also at a conference he said something along the lines of "jack-a". Out of about 150 sermons that i have listened to, these are the only two times i have EVER heard him "curse". Its so sickening when i see all these religious labels of "the cussing pastor" just because he used strong language like twice in the past. They try to paint him as some wild pastor cursing at every service and doing all these sinful things. AT the end of the day, Mark is theologically sound and spreads the gospel. He has been pivotal in helping me see that Jesus is not who our culture thinks He is. He is not a feathered hair hippie. Jesus was a carpenter who flipped tables and took a brutal bloody beating and rose again. He helped me see Jesus in a powerful way that made me want to serve Him. I thank God for Marks ministry. He has challenged me to grow in holiness and to be a man for Jesus

He also did a sermon called "Duck, Duck, Damn" on predestination, but that doesn't count. :) And your example ... yeah, I would've missed that entirely because he's so passionate. Lol, is jack-a a curse word?

I want to make one thing clear though ... if Pastor Mark was no longer at MHC would I leave? No, I wouldn't. Would others? Maybe. Probably. And I fear that those would not go back to church anywhere.

What I want to clear up if anyone is thinking this, MHC is not a personality driven church. Pastor Mark's title is "teaching pastor" and yes, he has quite a personality that comes from his love and his passion and of course, the origin being the Spirit. I am fed constantly by the church, in that Sunday's are something of a period on the end of a sentence.

The man is not above the message.

His style isn't universal, nor is he trying to be liked by the multitudes. There is, as far as I have found or others, no other message preached in Seattle that challenges.

Hard words make soft people, soft words make hard people.

He's detested by the cultural elite here (and elsewhere) and villified by those who don't, IMO see a living church. MH calls it missionology and its not easy, its a tightrope walk with no net.

Lol, the men all meet once a year, and since the men don't retreat, its called "Men's Advance".

Ah, another criticism from the peanut gallery ... sissified church guys. Not at MHC. My favorite teachings are when Pastor Mark gets after the guys. ;)

Thanks for starting this thread. I praise God that I have a teacher so gifted by God and so affirming in His Word.

thepenitent
Jan 16th 2009, 04:53 AM
I've watched 6 or 7 of his videos now and all I've seen is solid reformed theology straight out of the Westminster Confession. And he's not trying to rationalize sin. I'm embarrassed as a Christian to have to say that's a freash message these days. We need all the young pastors teaching good reformed theology we can get.

reformedct
Jan 17th 2009, 12:55 AM
I've watched 6 or 7 of his videos now and all I've seen is solid reformed theology straight out of the Westminster Confession. And he's not trying to rationalize sin. I'm embarrassed as a Christian to have to say that's a freash message these days. We need all the young pastors teaching good reformed theology we can get.

yes. even if people disagree with his reformed theology, at the end of the day Driscoll is about Jesus, the gospel, and good old fashioned repentance of sin and faith toward God. I have learned soooooooo much from him and i pray that Mars Hill will be a beacon of light in America for ages to come

9Marksfan
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:31 PM
yes. even if people disagree with his reformed theology, at the end of the day Driscoll is about Jesus, the gospel, and good old fashioned repentance of sin and faith toward God. I have learned soooooooo much from him and i pray that Mars Hill will be a beacon of light in America for ages to come

Amen! We'd LOVE to have someone like him in the UK - I know one Brit on these Forums who is struggling to find an "ideal" church - she says that MHC would be it!!!!!

Bethany67
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:59 PM
Yes MHC would be it for me, I'd feel privileged and humbled to be part of it and to be able to serve (and not just because of Mark Driscoll), but it'd take a miracle for me to end up in Seattle! Perhaps a visit one day - I just missed him when he was over in London last summer.

SeattleSun
Jan 23rd 2009, 06:02 PM
Amen! We'd LOVE to have someone like him in the UK - I know one Brit on these Forums who is struggling to find an "ideal" church - she says that MHC would be it!!!!!

The Act29 Network is planting churches in the UK. Be patient. :)

Bethany67
Jan 23rd 2009, 06:14 PM
Is it?? Ooh now I'm interested :)

Veretax
Jan 23rd 2009, 06:17 PM
I'll have to be patient and wait for a suitable computer to check out his site. Its got too much flash embedded content for my 12 year old computer to chew on.

reformedct
Jan 23rd 2009, 08:08 PM
I'll have to be patient and wait for a suitable computer to check out his site. Its got too much flash embedded content for my 12 year old computer to chew on.

they also have a youtube page. you can try searching: "mhcseattle" on youtube , it stands for mars hill church in seattle. hope that helps.

Veretax
Jan 23rd 2009, 08:25 PM
I don't think you tube works that well on my computer either. It may be a RAM issue not a flash issue cause flash is what youtube uses if memory serves.

9Marksfan
Jan 24th 2009, 08:16 AM
Yes MHC would be it for me, I'd feel privileged and humbled to be part of it and to be able to serve (and not just because of Mark Driscoll), but it'd take a miracle for me to end up in Seattle! Perhaps a visit one day - I just missed him when he was over in London last summer.

Didn't mean for you to ID yourself, Jules! But I agree - it would be great if there were somewhere like MHC in the UK - and lots of other places! Maybe one day.........:rolleyes:

9Marksfan
Jan 24th 2009, 08:17 AM
The Act29 Network is planting churches in the UK. Be patient. :)

Wow! Just read this! Could you start a separate thread on this?

Bethany67
Jan 24th 2009, 09:25 AM
I looked at the Act29 Network website but no details for the UK yet. I shall sign up for their newsletter.

Quite happy to identify myself on this one :)