PDA

View Full Version : What about comedy?

treeinheaven
Jan 15th 2009, 01:18 AM
In Ephesians 5 the Word mentions cursing, foolish talk and dirty humor relative to works of the flesh.I try to keep these out of my life but to a degree I watch movies and sitcoms with these.Anyone want to comment?

Adam

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 01:59 AM
In Ephesians 5 the Word mentions cursing, foolish talk and dirty humor relative to works of the flesh.I try to keep these out of my life but to a degree I watch movies and sitcoms with these.Anyone want to comment?

Adam

the Bible is full of prostitutes, dirty humor, (God making people cook over their own feces) lol, and "foolish talk" The prophet making fun of the prophets of Baal, saying maybe he is relieveing himself lol so obviously poopy comedy/sarcasm and things like this are not inherently sinful because God often uses them in a righteous and just way. So i think this is more aobut intentions. Intentions that are foolish. Intentions that are dirty, or filthy. But i could be wrong so no need to yell if you disagree:P

If the Bible were a movie it would defintetly be rated R

markdrums
Jan 15th 2009, 02:11 AM

Adam

It's tough to get away from that kind of stuff nowadays. Even Disney shows have some questionable situations for the age groups that are probably watching the shows....

Here's the thing; YOU know what you should and shouldn't allow yourself to be influenced by. Some things require a conscious effort, and some things will just seem less appealing to you.

I'll admit.... I STILL struggle with issues that have always been a negative influence in my life. I also know I'll more than likely continue struggling with some of them, all the days I live.

Just remember, There's only ONE unpardonable sin..... Continual blasphemy/denial of the Holy Spirit. God knows we're going to trip & fall, and need him to pick us back up, dust us off, and get us back on the narrow path. He knows ALL our sins... past present and future.... and he still loved us enough to be our substitute sacrifice; paying our sin debt in full.

In other words, be aware of what you're subjecting yourself to, but don't beat yourself up because you like certain shows, or music, or whatever.
Most things take a little time / trial & error before you realize your interest isn't what it used to be.

You'll still struggle. It's normal..... And none of us operate at the same pace. So, don't get so discouraged that you give up & give in.

;)

reformedct
Jan 15th 2009, 02:17 AM
yes imo its like beer. not a sin to drink it, but should you? i watch rated R movies often because i am mature enough to know whats right and whats wrong. There are bad scenes in some movies but that doesnt mean the whole movie is bad or that we cant learn valuable lessons from it. For example Fight Club is one of my favorites. One of Brad Pitts famous line was: "Youre not your job, youre not your khakis"

Today that still reminds me not to find my identity in other things but in who i truly am, and thats in Christ. So thats kinda how it works for me. I look for Christ and themes of redemption and bad vs evil and that kinda thing because thats what the Bible is all about.

markdrums
Jan 15th 2009, 03:40 AM
yes imo its like beer. not a sin to drink it, but should you? i watch rated R movies often because i am mature enough to know whats right and whats wrong. There are bad scenes in some movies but that doesnt mean the whole movie is bad or that we cant learn valuable lessons from it. For example Fight Club is one of my favorites. One of Brad Pitts famous line was: "Youre not your job, youre not your khakis"

Today that still reminds me not to find my identity in other things but in who i truly am, and thats in Christ. So thats kinda how it works for me. I look for Christ and themes of redemption and bad vs evil and that kinda thing because thats what the Bible is all about.

"Fight Club" is tied with "Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail" as my 2nd all time favorite movie... right behind "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" at No. 1

Not the most "helpful" films, nor the most rewarding or inspiring... I know. But they're movies that I grew up with & enjoyed ... and they take me back to when I was younger...... etc....
Yes, I'm able to separate myself from them, and no, they don't cause me to go out & do anything out of the ordinary.....
BUT.....
There ARE things in life that DO cause me to get distracted, & have the potential to pull me down roads I don't want any part of.

But as I continue to grow in my walk & relationship with the Lord, I've noticed that for some reason, I just don't have the attraction or desire for some of the movies, music, TV shows, jokes... etc. that I USED TO. While at the same time, other things are still just as "alluring" as they've always been.

THAT is the difficulty with allowing yourself "too much" leeway. But again, ALL of us have our own weaknesses & struggles. I know what mine are. And honestly, it's tough. Because, if I tell myself "it's OK just this once".... it turns into a dozen times.

Emanate
Jan 15th 2009, 08:10 PM
If the Bible were a movie it would defintetly be rated R

I have seen many R rated movies that I find much less offensive than alot of PG13 movies.

revrobor
Jan 15th 2009, 08:19 PM
I started in the motion picture theatre business as a young teen in the mid-forties. I have seen movies, television and magazines go from enjoyable, "clean" humor to the sexual oriented, bodily function garbage that passes for humor today. As followers of the Lord Jesus we have a responsibility to set an example by avoiding such humor. I also spent seven years in law enforcement and had a close look at the seamy side of life. There is not a word of profanity or image you can come up with that I do not know. But I do not make them part of my life. Today's generation has been desensitized to the point that they accept such "dirty" humor as normal. Perhaps if we stopped supporting such humor and blatant sexuality it would drop from vogue.

matthew7and1
Jan 15th 2009, 08:50 PM
I like "House of Payne" and there's a new show "Meet the Browns" that I like that to me, even though have some questionable content,have good lessons and are fairly wholesome entertainment.
However I agree that you have to decide what influences you. For myself, if the issues or situations are ones that real people face, then hey....

reformedct
Jan 16th 2009, 01:56 AM
I started in the motion picture theatre business as a young teen in the mid-forties. I have seen movies, television and magazines go from enjoyable, "clean" humor to the sexual oriented, bodily function garbage that passes for humor today. As followers of the Lord Jesus we have a responsibility to set an example by avoiding such humor. I also spent seven years in law enforcement and had a close look at the seamy side of life. There is not a word of profanity or image you can come up with that I do not know. But I do not make them part of my life. Today's generation has been desensitized to the point that they accept such "dirty" humor as normal. Perhaps if we stopped supporting such humor and blatant sexuality it would drop from vogue.

yes i agree that some movies are down right stupid and idiotic, however i just saw Yes Man with Jim Carey. It was very funny but of course there was a few parts that were dumb humor. However i dont feel convicted that i cannot watch a movie because there are sinful parts in it but that is just where i am in my faith right now. I try to make good decisions. If i know a movie is overly sexual or something then of course i wont see it. But slapstick humor a la Three Stooges and stuff like that i dont have a problem with. I think humor is actually a serious matter. If our lives have no humor we end up having pruny faces and furrowed brows all the time lol

Joe King
Jan 16th 2009, 03:18 AM
It's hard to avoid seeing this on TV, hearing this on radio and reading this online or offline. I do sin in this way and I do not believe that it is acceptable at anytime. Yes, this is coming from someone who named themself Joe King.

You have to set your mind on God at all times and when the situations come up you will turn away from it because you are focused on things which are pure and Holy. There are times that I slip up, but it is so much easier to avoid the distractions and pitfalls with Jesus on your mind.

Joshua 1:8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=6&chapter=1&verse=8&version=31&context=verse)
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Joshua 1:7-9 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=6&chapter=1&verse=7&end_verse=9&version=31&context=context) (in Context) Joshua 1 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=6&chapter=1&version=31&context=chapter) (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 1:2 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=23&chapter=1&verse=2&version=31&context=verse)
But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

revrobor
Jan 16th 2009, 03:37 AM
yes i agree that some movies are down right stupid and idiotic, however i just saw Yes Man with Jim Carey. It was very funny but of course there was a few parts that were dumb humor. However i dont feel convicted that i cannot watch a movie because there are sinful parts in it but that is just where i am in my faith right now. I try to make good decisions. If i know a movie is overly sexual or something then of course i wont see it. But slapstick humor a la Three Stooges and stuff like that i dont have a problem with. I think humor is actually a serious matter. If our lives have no humor we end up having pruny faces and furrowed brows all the time lol

There is plenty of humor out there that will not cause us to sacrifice our principles or set a bad example. Just ask yourself if you would watch what you watch with Jesus sitting next to you - because, if you are a follower of the Lord Jesus, He is. We watch what we watch by choice.