PDA

View Full Version : How can I make the most of my relationship with God?

Jaaniya
Jan 15th 2009, 05:54 AM
I'm a young lady about to be 20.
i don't go to church due to some circumstances & hardly read the bible because I can never understand it without someone explaining it.

how can i make the most of my relationship with god in my every day life?

Cara Lott
Jan 15th 2009, 06:10 AM
May I ask what version of the Bible you use? If you're using something like KJV you may want to try something with more modern language. What books of the Bible have you tried reading? I would recommend reading the gospels or Paul's epistles (such as Philipians or Romans) verse-by-verse (don't jump around). Another option is to buy a devotional with daily Scripture readings that can expand on the reading or a commentary. Prayer is very important too.

Romber
Jan 15th 2009, 12:15 PM
Hebrews is a great book too

Ixthus
Jan 15th 2009, 04:39 PM
You say: 'I can't figure things out'
God says: I will direct your steps
(Proverbs 3:5- 6)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil...."

Followtheway
Jan 15th 2009, 09:34 PM
You cant until you make more time for him. Get yourself an NIV study bible, you dont need to go to any sanctuary, but start serving somewhere and go to some bible studies.

Revinius
Jan 16th 2009, 02:42 AM
If you can't go the church, let church come to you. I am sure many Bible studies at a church would be more than willing to have the study at your place.

abidinglife
Jan 16th 2009, 08:30 AM
How can you make the most of your relationship with God...hmm, yeah Bible studies are great...there are many on google, not all are good. I have Bible study books on the computer which i can send to you if you want. Just drop me an email or PM or whatever.

But yeah, tough one eh?

jgreene
Jan 29th 2009, 11:50 PM
1. Go to church. Not that going to church will boost your relationship with God per se, but there is an impartation of grace that is available from other Christians that you can only get as a member of a fellowship.

2. Consider prayer and fasting.

3. Baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you're not getting revelation from the Word, and if you're not living empowered to do exploits, you need it. If your theology doesn't agree with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, then just ignore this point.

4. Above all, RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS is the entire idea of the New Covenant. Just press in during your prayer and devotional time and He will reveal Himself to you.

Prayin_saint
Jan 31st 2009, 06:35 AM
I agree with the others, find a church that will be good for you. (If transportation is an issue- many will find someone to pick you up.) Or bible study... at your home (it'll come to you) or, if meeting at your home won't work they might have someone who can meet you at a coffee shop or during your lunch break or something.

In the same vein as the earlier one- surround yourself with like-minded people, those who want to know God more. Study with them, learn from them and learn with them. It is important to have like-minded people who you can trust with your questions, but who will also encourage and inspire you.

My boyfriend and I work with the Youth and we're teaching them about bible study aides. People have mentioned using a modern translation, that is important- NIV study bibles are great, as is the ESV. I also really recommend
- finding a bible dictionary (to explain hard-to-understand words)
- Bible concordances (to help you get the big picture about what the bible says on a given topic)
- and commentaries. (A bible scholar or scholars go through and explain a book of the bible. Why did they use that expression? What did they mean by that? What does that tradition or law mean? etc. They explain quite a bit and help people understand.)

And most, if not all, of this can be found online. biblegateway.org and studylight.org are two I'd recommend right off the bat. Check them out and play around a bit, see what all they have.

Most Important: spend time with God every day. It doesn't have to be really long, but just a little while. Talk to him about anything and everything. Journal about your day first, if you're a journal-er (if you're not, give it a try for a few days.) and then look and see where you see God. Record your prayer requests and any answers you see. Thank God for the good that has happned to you. Maybe take time to sing along to a favorite christian cd or out of a song book. (if it's a cd/ mp3 you might could do that in the car on your way somewhere.)

Another thing- if you're not up for listening/singing in the car... when driving along, sometimes turning OFF the music in the car and taking that time to pray and talk to God helps. It's time you won't be doing much anyway, and it's free. You can't watch TV or do chores... just take time and pray. :-)

There is no exact formula for getting closer to God... experiment with these things and find what works for you. Let us know how you're doing, too! THe people here are very encouraging and are a great family to be a part of!

:hug: Sarah

nessa
Feb 15th 2009, 09:16 PM
I dont understand the bible neither.

technotask
Feb 20th 2009, 09:13 AM
read bible.... its the main way tat you can make most of your relationship with god... I get answers for almost all ma queries frm bible...