PDA

View Full Version : It is appointed once to die

catlover
Jan 15th 2009, 01:01 PM
Heb. 9:27: It is appointed once for man to die and after this the judgement.

I was just wondered about people like Lazarus and I don't know what scripture it is but it talks about people being raised from the dead (this is in the NT - if you know where, please post). There are other examples (like the young girl that Jesus brought back to life).

So how does Heb 9:27 square with these verses. Thanks.

Firstfruits
Jan 15th 2009, 02:01 PM
Heb. 9:27: It is appointed once for man to die and after this the judgement.

I was just wondered about people like Lazarus and I don't know what scripture it is but it talks about people being raised from the dead (this is in the NT - if you know where, please post). There are other examples (like the young girl that Jesus brought back to life).

So how does Heb 9:27 square with these verses. Thanks.

I would say that unless Christ intervenes, as he has done, then Hebrew 9:27 stands.

Firstfruits

Theophilus
Jan 15th 2009, 02:15 PM
It IS appointed that everyone will die...no one gets out alive! ;)

The verse doesn't go on to say, "...and no one ever gets to be resurrected." If Jesus (and later, Paul) was able to bring someone back to life, it can happen. However, to be resurrected means you had to die in the first place...and nothing says you can't die twice, either.

I've wondered if, in John 11:35, where it says, "Jesus wept," His weeping was because He knew that bringing back Lazarus meant that Lazarus would have to leave paradise, come back to this earth...and then have to die all over again.

IMHO, there's nothing that needs to be "squared" in this verse. :)

karenoka27
Jan 15th 2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with Theo..Jesus knows how much better it is for us on the other side of this life.

When the Lord raised Lazarus,it showed us that though we die,we shall live. He showed many things by sight for the people to understand.

If I died right now, I'm thinking I would not want to be brought back here...

Revelation 21:4-"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.":hmm:

Dani H
Jan 15th 2009, 03:09 PM
I think there is an appointed time for each of us to die. Maybe those raised from the dead by Jesus, Paul and Elisha died before their appointment time? Scripture says in Psalms that our days here are already set by the Lord and written down before we're even born (Ps 139:16).

So that might be another angle to look at it.

I do agree with what's already been stated, though. We don't get reincarnated or any such silliness. But we can look forward to the resurrection! That's a given! Hallelujah!