PDA

View Full Version : Is Sacrifice our goal as Christians or is it being Merciful as He is Merciful??

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 15th 2009, 10:22 PM
And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.

And when the Pharisees saw [it], they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

But when Jesus heard [that], he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

But when the Pharisees saw [it], they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

But I say unto you, That in this place is [one] greater than the temple.

But if ye had known what [this] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just a couple of circumstances recorded in the New Testament where Jesus was confronted by the Religious Elite of His time.. they 'accusing' Him and His disciples of doing things they shouldnt be doing... according to their 'set' rules and regulations they had bound on people.. yet these Elite would not lift a finger to help them.. The hardness of their heart and spiritual blindness 'blinding' them to the Truth...

What does God require? That we Sacrifice this and that in order to please Him..

or

that in our daily walk with Him .. we show and demonstrate Mercy and Compassion on others as He demonstrated Mercy and Compassion on those He came across when He tabernacled here in the flesh the first time... That we reach out to the Lost and Hurting around us.. with Mercy and Compassion and Unconditional Love.. as the Spirit moves us...??

That verse always comes to mind... that He tells His disciples...

That ye love one another as I have loved you.. His New Commandment that He set forth... From a personal standpoint I'm called to Love others as He loved me.. and He loved me even when I was so very vile and in the depth of spiritual darkness... Yet His love broke thru.. and Saved this Wretched sinner... are we not to do the same ? to those who God brings in our pathways??

What pleases God the Most? Sacrifice or having Mercy on Others..??

Your thoughts are welcome and I'd like to hear what You've been taught as Christian....

Teke
Jan 16th 2009, 12:27 AM
Psa 6:2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I [am] weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

Psa 9:13 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble [which I suffer] of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:

Psa 13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

There is only one perfect and eternal sacrifice, as there is only one God. In the church the sacrifice is on the altar as it is in heaven. Here is a depiction from Isaiah.

Isa 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, [is] the LORD of hosts: the whole earth [is] full of his glory.

Isa 6:4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe [is] me! for I am undone; because I [am] a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Isa 6:6 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, [which] he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:

Isa 6:7 And he laid [it] upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

Tis only this sacrifice which is of any effect for us.

1Cr 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?