PDA

View Full Version : This is a simple question

catlover
Jan 17th 2009, 01:06 AM
not sure what category this goes in but I noticed some posters don't spell out God -- they put G-d or G d. Why is that

mikebr
Jan 17th 2009, 03:27 AM
not sure what category this goes in but I noticed some posters don't spell out God -- they put G-d or G d. Why is that

I don't do it and this is pure speculation but the Jews didn't spell out God's name because they believed it was a sin to do so. I suspect these folks do it for that reason.

reformedct
Jan 17th 2009, 03:36 AM
i may be wrong but i dont think "God" is the name of God. God is who and what He is but i dont think thats His name (as i said i may be wrong) God is a title and description of who and what He is

i believe his name is Yahweh, or Elohim, or Jesus. I dont think "God" is His name.

Ixthus
Jan 17th 2009, 05:21 AM
The Jewish believe the word God is too holy to be spelt out. Therefore they leave the "o" out.

Kahtar
Jan 17th 2009, 05:31 AM
Then there is the idea that God said 'You shall not use my Name in vain.' and thus they limit their usage of His name, or even those names which describe Him, and don't write it out in full, lest they be found using His name improperly.

Athanasius
Jan 17th 2009, 05:38 AM
It's so as to not accidently use God's name in vain. As well, it's respected so much that if a document is destroyed, they don't want His name "destroyed" along with it.