PDA

View Full Version : Why don’t we hear more preaching on the new priesthood in the order of Melchizedek?

chad
Jan 17th 2009, 03:43 AM
In all my time in church, I have never ever heard teaching on the new priesthood in the order of Melchizedek as mentioned in Hebrews.

I hear a lot of sermons on the 10 commandments and a lot about the law of Moses, but when I think back, I have never heard from the pulpit any sermon or had any bible studies or teachings on the New Priesthood as mentioned in Hebrews.

It was only reading Hebrews myself, that I learnt about it. I was wondering why this is?

I even have heard a modern day evangelist base his entire focus for evangelism on 'the breaking of the 10 commandments', although we are no longer under the old Mosaic law.

reformedct
Jan 17th 2009, 03:54 AM
In all my time in church, I have never ever heard teaching on the new priesthood in the order of Melchizedek as mentioned in Hebrews.

I hear a lot of sermons on the 10 commandments and a lot about the law of Moses, but when I think back, I have never heard from the pulpit any sermon or had any bible studies or teachings on the New Priesthood as mentioned in Hebrews.

It was only reading Hebrews myself, that I learnt about it. I was wondering why this is?

I even have heard a modern day evangelist base his entire focus for evangelism on 'the breaking of the 10 commandments', although we are no longer under the old Mosaic law.

wow. i agree 100000%

i learned so much about Jesus being the new high priest, making one sacrifice for sins, perfecting forever those who are being sanctified, the establishment of a new covenant on better promises, etc from Hebrews.

A while ago i didnt give a rip about Hebrews. Now i base much of my life from what is in it. One of the coolest and youngest pastors is Matt Chandler at village church. If you google his name and church you will find the church website. Under podcasts/audio they have an archive of all the sermons free for download. He spent months preaching through the entire book of Hebrews. I think the sermons are still up right now (it was in 2006 or 2007 archive)

chad
Jan 17th 2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, I have heard alot of teachings on :

Jesus death on the cross (Easter)
Christmas (Jesus Birth)
The gifts of the spirit/fruit of the spirit
The Ten Commandments and Moses
Acts and Pauls Missionary Journeys
Revelation and Heaven.

Then when I read Hebrews, I thought to myself, hey what about all this good stuff regarding Mechizedek and the New Priesthood with Jesus as our High Priest.

wow. i agree 100000%

i learned so much about Jesus being the new high priest, making one sacrifice for sins, perfecting forever those who are being sanctified, the establishment of a new covenant on better promises, etc from Hebrews.

timmyb
Jan 17th 2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, I have heard alot of teachings on :

Jesus death on the cross (Easter)
Christmas (Jesus Birth)
The gifts of the spirit/fruit of the spirit
The Ten Commandments and Moses
Acts and Pauls Missionary Journeys
Revelation and Heaven.

Then when I read Hebrews, I thought to myself, hey what about all this good stuff regarding Mechizedek and the New Priesthood with Jesus as our High Priest.

this is what salvation brings us into... we don't teach on priesthood because sadly we are only focused on what God can give us and we miss out on the blessing of being a priest unto him...

I would recommend Art Katz's Apostolic Foundations... the absolute best teaching regarding the Melchizidek priesthood...

wtj
Jan 17th 2009, 04:26 PM
christ is after the order of the melchizedek priest hood - christ was born and died as a man,yet he had no beginning or end of days. when the spirit of god - which has no beginning or end of days - indwells - then we are partakers of that eternal life. he who preaches in the holy spirit is preaching in the order of the mekchizedek priesthood. and preaching in the holy spirit is preaching as it were - from god himself.

Mithrandir
Jan 17th 2009, 05:44 PM
Here's a nice little gem for you

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad."

John 8:57 So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

I wonder when this happened?

Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was priest of God Most High.

Genesis 14:19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth:

Genesis 14:20 and blessed be God Most High, who hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Melchizedek brought forth “bread and wine”. Sound familiar ;)?

Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek. Hmmm…a “tithe” :hmm:?

Jesus was being quite literal in John 8:56-58. Abraham saw Jesus (Melchizedek) way back in Genesis, and he was glad.

timmyb
Jan 17th 2009, 05:48 PM
Melchizedek's ministry was intercession... that's the same order that Jesus does and that we have been called into...

Psa 110:4 Jehovah has sworn, and will not repent, You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

Heb 7:25 Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost those who come unto God by Him, since He ever lives to make intercession for them.

Rev 5:10 And You made us kings and priests to our God, and we will reign over the earth.

thepenitent
Jan 17th 2009, 06:06 PM

Great topic. I was just reading these verses in Hebrews myself and remember having difficulty following the passages. I made a note to do a topic search on the Priesthood of Melchizedek to get a little better feel for what the author was saying. I hope this thread saves me the trouble. :idea: Just what do we know about the Priesthood of M?

chad
Jan 17th 2009, 09:56 PM
Ok, here is a short study on Melchizedek.

GENESIS

Genesis 14:18 (NIV) Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. 20 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

(Note) There was a priestly order before Abraham and Moses in Genesis. Genesis 14:18-20 records that Melchizedek, king of Salem was a priest of the most high God. Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of everything.

PSALMS
Psalms 110: 4 (NIV)The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."

HEBREWS : There are no other writings mentioning Melchizedek until Hebrews.
(Note) Hebrews 1 starts by proclaiming that Jesus is greater than the angels.
(Note) Hebrews 3 states Jesus was greater than Moses.
(Note) Hebrews 4:14 Proclaims Jesus is our High Priest.
(Note) Hebrews 5:10 Jesus was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.
(Note) Hebrews 7:1-3 The king of Salems name means king of righteousness and King of Peace. It is an order without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life.

(Note) Hebrews 7:11-12 We can never obtain perfection (righteousness) through the Levitical priesthood (The law). There was another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron. When there is a change in priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.

(Note) Hebrews 7:13-17 Jesus is our high priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.

(Note) Hebrews 7:18 We are no longer under the law of Moses

(Note) Hebrews 7:18-20 Through Jesus we have the guarantee of a better covenant.

(Note) Hebrews 7:23-26 Jesus priesthood is permanent. In this new priesthood Jesus intercedes for us.

(Note) Hebrews 7:26-28 Jesus does not have to offer sacrifices for sins day after day, when Jesus died on the cross for us he sacrificed for sins once and for all.

(Note) Hebrews 8:1-6. The priesthood and covenant of Moses and the law was only a copy of and shadow of what is in heaven.

(Note) Hebrews 8:7-13 The new covenant makes the first one obsolete. Under the New Covenant God the laws will be written in our minds and on our hearts.

(Note) Hebrews 9:1-10 In the first covenant (Mosaic), only the high priest could enter the inner room to offer sacrifices for his sin and sins committed in ignorance. The gifts and sacrifices being offered by the priest were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

(Note) Hebrews 9:11-15 Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, he died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Great topic. I was just reading these verses in Hebrews myself and remember having difficulty following the passages. I made a note to do a topic search on the Priesthood of Melchizedek to get a little better feel for what the author was saying. I hope this thread saves me the trouble. :idea: Just what do we know about the Priesthood of M?

wtj
Jan 19th 2009, 01:30 AM
the curse of the law has been done away with - he who sins shall die - there has been a change in the law - though we have sinned - yet in christ we shall live - the righteousness of the law still stands - it is the curse of the law which has ben done away with. it is for us to fulfill its righteousness in christ. sin is transgression of the law - if the law was done away with then there would be no sin. - there is sin - the law is its witness. wtj