PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions please

Gordon90
Jan 18th 2009, 04:41 PM
Okay, so this is the section for me to ask religious people questions right?

I guess I will just start. I am not religious, I am an atheist. I would not know how to even believe in God if I wanted to. Which God would I believe in anyways? There are only a few thousand of them believed in. But Christianity really stumps me. My friend (name removed) who told me about the site, well I saw it on her computer and wanted to join, she told me more about Jesus but I don't get it. A human who is God at the same time does not make sense. Either you are human or not human but how can you be both? I like science a lot, and I believe that more than anything. It makes sense. How did God create everything? Did God use evolution? Also how do we know for SURE that Jesus is God like (name removed) and her friend (name removed) say? Maybe they are wrong? Sorry (name removed) but maybe you are?

I will come back later to see how people have answered. :pp

Gordon90

Gregg
Jan 18th 2009, 07:32 PM
Hello Gordon and welcome.

How about asking him? God is not playing hide and go seek. We are to seek, but he is not hiding.

If you felt God exists, would you bow down to him and worship him?

Oh, and I like science, but science does not have all of the answers. In fact some of science takes more faith than to believe in God.

I pray your journey goes well.

tt1106
Jan 18th 2009, 08:04 PM

I guess I will just start. I am not religious, I am an atheist. I would not know how to even believe in God if I wanted to. Which God would I believe in anyways? There are only a few thousand of them believed in. But Christianity really stumps me. My friend (name removed) who told me about the site, well I saw it on her computer and wanted to join, she told me more about Jesus but I don't get it. A human who is God at the same time does not make sense. Either you are human or not human but how can you be both? I like science a lot, and I believe that more than anything. It makes sense. How did God create everything? Did God use evolution? Also how do we know for SURE that Jesus is God like (name removed) and her friend (name removed) say? Maybe they are wrong? (name removed) Laura but maybe you are?

I will come back later to see how people have answered. :pp

Gordon90

Hi Gordon. I know Jesus is God, because I have Faith. I believe in all my heart that Jesus is God, and I have been a Christian for 2 years, while I was an atheist for approximately 37 years. I believe in Christ because he changed my mind.
I believe your friends are right.
Part of what led me to Christ was science. You see, Christianity can pass many tests that science cannot explain. The Bible has been historically validated through Archeology and through historical writings of others.
We can prove when it was written. We can support much of it through archeological examination and evidence.
We have tons of evidence lending credibility to the New Testament also.
I believe because I don't have enough Faith in science to prove that I am wrong. Please keep in mind, while you seek or read, that Science is incapable of disproving anything in the Bible. Evolution and the Big Bang are still just theories and there is no evidence that Jesus did not exist, that he was not crucified nor that he did not rise from the dead.

Gordon90
Jan 18th 2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Gordon. I know Jesus is God, because I have Faith. I believe in all my heart that Jesus is God, and I have been a Christian for 2 years, while I was an atheist for approximately 37 years. I believe in Christ because he changed my mind.
I believe your friends are right.
Part of what led me to Christ was science. You see, Christianity can pass many tests that science cannot explain. The Bible has been historically validated through Archeology and through historical writings of others.
We can prove when it was written. We can support much of it through archeological examination and evidence.
We have tons of evidence lending credibility to the New Testament also.
I believe because I don't have enough Faith in science to prove that I am wrong. Please keep in mind, while you seek or read, that Science is incapable of disproving anything in the Bible. Evolution and the Big Bang are still just theories and there is no evidence that Jesus did not exist, that he was not crucified nor that he did not rise from the dead.

And what you said makes no sense to me, science IS capable of disprovcing the bible becuz the bible is MYTH. Can science disprove Zeus and Allah and Affrodite? Noooooo but that must mean THEY exist right?

I am really pretty ticked off, I got two mean messages about deleting my POSTS when I just want to find my FRIEND so you can please tell all the people in charge here that when I find her I won't be too happy, ok, I will probably be sad and MAYBE mad too unless I know why she does not want to talk to me more on here.

MOSTLY this bible stuff does NOT make sense to me but she explains it really GOOD so if SHE was talking to me on here I might try to understand it!!!!!

Gordon90

ServantofTruth
Jan 18th 2009, 10:49 PM
Is (name removed) a big football fan? :) Say 'hi' from SofTy.

tango
Jan 18th 2009, 11:42 PM
*** Moderator announcement ***

Please keep posts to discussing questions about our faith. Identifying peoples' user names here isn't what the forum is about.

I've edited a few posts to remove the names of individuals - if the people concerned want to be identified it's for them to come forward, not for us to identify them.

Psalms Fan
Jan 19th 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi, Gordon, and welcome to this site. It's wonderful to have you with us.

In regards to your first question, the best answer that I've ever heard (about Jesus being both God and man) came from a guy back in the 3 or 400'sAD. He gave the analogy of a flaming sword (there was also a flaming sword in Genesis 3, as well as a burning bush in Exodus 3, which wasn't consumed, prefiguring Christ).

Pretend that fire is "something" (an element, say). When an iron sword is put into fire, the iron begins to glow with heat. It's as if the fire and iron are occupying the same place at the same time. It would be impossible to separate the iron from the fire. One could not dissect the iron and fire and put them side-by-side. The sword at that point is iron-fire, or fire-iron. If the sword were to be put up to a piece of paper and burn the paper, was it the iron or the fire that burned it? The answer is that it was the sword that burned it (granted, we know that heat/fire isn't really "something", but that the molecules just have a lot more energy).

It's the same with Christ. His divinity and humanity are perfectly united into one person. His humanity is not more or less human, and His divinity is not more or less divine.

Hope that helps a little with that question.

How did God create the universe? Well, we have Genesis 1 and 2, but I don't believe in using that as a science book. The intention is for God to reveal Himself and our need for Him, not to give a perfectly factually correct account of the natural history of the cosmos.

Imagine that a little boy walks into the kitchen and sees a pot of boiling water. He asks his mom, "Mom, why is the water boiling?" What would her response be? It might be one of two things:

1) It's boiling because I'm about to put some pasta in there so we can have spaghetti;

2) It's boiling because, at this particular atmospheric pressure, the temperature of the water has been raised to saturation temperature and is undergoing a phase change while the temperature remains constant.

Which is correct? Well, both of them are. Which type of answer is in the Bible? I believe it is the first type.

Is evolution a natural process that God created, just like gravity (by whatever model it's explained) or magnetism? I won't say one way or the other, and I don't believe that the Bible does either. The Christian faith is about who Jesus is and what He did (in particular whether or not He rose from the dead), not about how old the universe is or whether or not a flood covered the whole earth.

Either Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead or He didn't. If He didn't, then nothing else that He said matters. If He did rise from the dead, then there's a whole lot to be considered.

So yes, maybe your friend and your friend's friend are wrong. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, as the apostle Paul said, we above all other people are most to be pitied.

BroRog
Jan 19th 2009, 12:32 AM

I guess I will just start. I am not religious, I am an atheist. I would not know how to even believe in God if I wanted to. Which God would I believe in anyways? There are only a few thousand of them believed in.

I believe in the Hebrew God because he is real. Think about it this way. If God was real, if he created you, then you could ask him to reveal himself to you right?

Why not start there?

But Christianity really stumps me. My friend (name removed) who told me about the site, well I saw it on her computer and wanted to join, she told me more about Jesus but I don't get it. A human who is God at the same time does not make sense.

I'm not sure exactly why it doesn't make sense to you. But here is one idea to think about. If there really was a being that created the entire universe, from the biggest stars to the smallest particles of matter, he would be incomprehensible to us. We could never know him or know about him unless he was able to find a way to communicate with us. So, while he was able to communicate with his prophets (and frankly, I have no idea how that takes place) he decided to send himself in the form of a human being to communicate with us. To me, this makes perfect sense, because I can related much easier to a man of my own species and planet than an otherwise incomprehensible spirit being.

I like science a lot, and I believe that more than anything. It makes sense. How did God create everything? Did God use evolution?

No one knows how God did it. And he hasn't told us. But I think I hear another question behind your statement, "must I give up my curious mind and my belief in science in order to become a Christian." To that, I would say no. It was Paul the Apostle who said to test all things.

Also, the Bible is not ashamed to speak about empirical evidence. Notice that Thomas was not willing to believe in the resurrection of Jesus unless he saw him personally.

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.So the other disciples were saying to him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe." After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing." Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

We see here, in this passage, that Thomas was not willing to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead unless he could see it himself with his own eyes. In fact, he didn't even trust his own eyes thinking that it might be a ghost or something. He wanted to put his fingers in Jesus wounds. Jesus honored this request.

In other words, skepticism was allowed, and empirical evidence was provided.

Also how do we know for SURE that Jesus is God like (name removed) and her friend (name removed) say? Maybe they are wrong? Sorry (name removed) but maybe you are?

Anything is possible. But not all things are probable. With the kind of skepticism we find today, we can't know anything for sure. But the kind of skepticism we have today is flawed and unusable. It's just a mind game played by men in ivory towers, which leaves the rest of us dead in the water without a paddle. Healthy skepticism is good, but skepticism that prevents me from knowing things is not healthy or useful. I know I can know stuff. We can know whether Jesus is like the real God. It's possible to know this for sure.

tango
Jan 19th 2009, 12:36 AM
Closing the thread pending a discussion with the OP