PDA

View Full Version : Another Tithing Thread

matthew7and1
Jan 18th 2009, 04:46 PM
I just wanted ask what could be considered tithing.
I don't have a home church, so there is no place that I can give tithes. If I gave to charity, would that be considered tithing?

Walk N Spirit
Jan 18th 2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have a home church, so there is no place that I can give tithes. If I gave to charity, would that be considered tithing?

Tithing is what it is and that is giving the first 1/10 of all increase to God's house. Giving to a charity is just that or put another way an offering. Can I ask why you don't have a church home? With so many good churches out there I personally would find it hard not to be in of them.

Butch5
Jan 18th 2009, 06:15 PM

There is no NT command to tithe, Paul said give with a cheerful heart. Having said that the early Christians gave more than the 10% that was required under the law. We are called to give all. So your giving to charity is probably better because it is going to the poor and needy, not for a new gym, or a new building, or to hire a band to play.

chad
Jan 18th 2009, 07:09 PM
I think most people confuse giving with thithing. If you look at it biblically from what is written in the OT and NT and taking into account the different covenants we are under, they are clearly different in so many ways.

Giving to a charity, supports a charity. Giving to a church or a christian ministry supports the work of God, so I think it does matter where you give your money.

Walk N Spirit
Jan 18th 2009, 08:27 PM
There is no NT command to tithe, Paul said give with a cheerful heart. Having said that the early Christians gave more than the 10% that was required under the law. We are called to give all. So your giving to charity is probably better because it is going to the poor and needy, not for a new gym, or a new building, or to hire a band to play.
True the NT does say give with a cheerful heart. Please understand that tithing was in place long before God required a tithe or tenth, OT or NT. Abraham gave a tenth portion of all that he had to Melchisedec (Heb. 7:1,2) . Butch5 you are mistaken because NT does talk about tithing and giving. And while I don't have the scriptures right handy (at work) I will get them so that you can research it out. Are you implying that giving towards a new gym, building or band for that matter is not worthy, needed or honorable. What if it's a church that needed the new gym, building or band and wanted to use it to draw more people unto God? Or maybe it is someone who wants to bless another in need of those things. How would that not be as worthy a cause as giving to the poor and needy. Truly we should be doing both.

This is an awesome place share thoughts and beliefs!
Iron sharpens Iron!

amazzin
Jan 18th 2009, 08:29 PM
... not for a new gym, or a new building, or to hire a band to play.

That was uncalled for Butch. If you have a beef take it up with the administration of the church and please try to stick to the OP question

crystalbrite
Jan 18th 2009, 11:59 PM

You can support any Christian church even if you don't go there. Churches help community members with food, clothing, bills, medication and health care needs. And rarely do they care if the person in need is a member or not. So, I'm sure they would welcome support from non-members.

crystalbrite
Jan 19th 2009, 12:04 AM

Small churches rarely get that stuff. They're just blessed when they can help a few needy people and pay the preacher a small wage. But I know what you mean. I've seen my family members spiral toward financial ruin all the while supporting wealthy churches. That is not wisdom.

Butch5
Jan 19th 2009, 12:16 AM
True the NT does say give with a cheerful heart. Please understand that tithing was in place long before God required a tithe or tenth, OT or NT. Abraham gave a tenth portion of all that he had to Melchisedec (Heb. 7:1,2) . Butch5 you are mistaken because NT does talk about tithing and giving. And while I don't have the scriptures right handy (at work) I will get them so that you can research it out. Are you implying that giving towards a new gym, building or band for that matter is not worthy, needed or honorable. What if it's a church that needed the new gym, building or band and wanted to use it to draw more people unto God? Or maybe it is someone who wants to bless another in need of those things. How would that not be as worthy a cause as giving to the poor and needy. Truly we should be doing both.

This is an awesome place share thoughts and beliefs!
Iron sharpens Iron!

I know the Scriptures you speak of and they are not a command to tithe, I didn't say the NT did not mention tithing, I said, it does not command it. Also regarding giving, if you noticed, I said the early church gave more than the tithe. Regarding the gym, building or band, you are going to have to search really hard to find Scripture where Jesus teaches this. He said to take care of the poor and needy, He didn't say anything about Christians building buildings and gyms and supporting bands. The world is so needy, that I don't think you would come to the place where the money spent on buildings and such, could not be used to help the poor and needy of the world. We don't need buildings and gyms and bands to lead people to Christ, the apostles did it without such.

SeattleSun
Jan 19th 2009, 12:18 AM
You can support any Christian church even if you don't go there. Churches help community members with food, clothing, bills, medication and health care needs. And rarely do they care if the person in need is a member or not. So, I'm sure they would welcome support from non-members.

I support a ministry whose online resources I use almost daily. I'm grateful that its available and updated constantly and in good conscience (and cheerfully) I contribute to it. Its not very much, but I don't want to be only a consumer, but hope to defray their costs in even a very small way.

I believe contributing/tithing is worship, giving thanks to God for ministries He has made possible that help me in my walk.

Butch5
Jan 19th 2009, 12:21 AM
That was uncalled for Butch. If you have a beef take it up with the administration of the church and please try to stick to the OP question

What was uncalled for? I don't have a beef with the church. Is that not what a lot of churches do? Is that commanded in Scripture?

Butch5
Jan 19th 2009, 12:23 AM
Small churches rarely get that stuff. They're just blessed when they can help a few needy people and pay the preacher a small wage. But I know what you mean. I've seen my family members spiral toward financial ruin all the while supporting wealthy churches. That is not wisdom.

I agree, I was not knocking any particular church, however many do as you have said. Those things are not commanded in Scripture.

crystalbrite
Jan 19th 2009, 12:47 AM
I agree, I was not knocking any particular church, however many do as you have said. Those things are not commanded in Scripture.

Yes, I finally got through to my mother. She still gives to Feed the Children and charities like that, but it's within reason now and she can keep up with her bills without help from her kids since she stopped supporting the rich ministries. I know those ministries need support also, but there are a lot of wealthy members who should do a greater part than the people living on a fixed income. I love those ministers on TBN, and wish them all good things in abundance, but it would just kill me to think that my mom's puny income might have paid for one of their expensive dresses. Giving is good and worthy, but it must be done with wisdom. Isn't that part of being a good steward?

Butch5
Jan 19th 2009, 12:54 AM
Yes, I finally got through to my mother. She still gives to Feed the Children and charities like that, but it's within reason now and she can keep up with her bills without help from her kids since she stopped supporting the rich ministries. I know those ministries need support also, but there are a lot of wealthy members who should do a greater part than the people living on a fixed income. I love those ministers on TBN, and wish them all good things in abundance, but it would just kill me to think that my mom's puny income might have paid for one of their expensive dresses. Giving is good and worthy, but it must be done with wisdom. Isn't that part of being a good steward?

The key is as you said, being a good steward. There are many who just give and do not think of where the money goes, they just leave it to others, I was one of them. However we are called to be good stewards and that means, us, making sure the money goes to worthy causes.

chad
Jan 19th 2009, 01:05 AM
My advice is don't give it to a TV evangalist who has a multi-million dollar home, a million dollar salary, drives around in a mercedes benz or roles royce and has a $40,000 dollar watch, all from the donations of the believers. Give it to those in need, not in greed.

SeattleSun
Jan 19th 2009, 01:23 AM
My advice is don't give it to a TV evangalist who has a multi-million dollar home, a million dollar salary, drives around in a mercedes benz or roles royce and has a $40,000 dollar watch, all from the donations of the believers. Give it to those in need, not in greed.

Amen to that! Every year, Ministry Watch publishes their donor alert list. Here's 2008:

http://www.ministrywatch.com/pdf/MWDA_list_of_30_2008.pdf

MinistryWatch.com in its role as a donor advocate developed this format to highlight a sampling of ministries with issues important to donors, such as being
non-transparent, high salaries, misleading marketing efforts, revocation of tax-exempt status, ties to cultic practices, investigations under way, and more.
Any one ministry does not necessarily cover all these issues as there is a wide spectrum of issues. Most donors expect charitable organizations to act on
behalf of others and not for greed, personal aggrandizement, or other reasons; however, ministries are operated by human beings who are subject to the
shortcomings common to man, including what some may call the “principle of ethical entropy”, or as Christians call it, sin. Donors do not always have the
power or know-how to pursue accountability; however, each donor can do their part by making an informed giving decision by looking at various factors and
issues.
No one is able to give to every ministry that one values as we are not possessed of unlimited resources. It is best to make an assessment of our options
and make discerning decisions. When making that assessment, we came across both the good practices and those operations less than ideal for donors.
MinistryWatch.com’s assessment looked at the following seven areas when considering this list of 30:

(1) Transparency, (2) Truth Claims, (3) Values, (4) Sampling of Issues, (5) Resourcefulness, (6) Red Flag Issues, (7) Consultation.
A fuller explanation of our evaluation criteria is on page five. We commend donors for assessing various factors in making giving decisions. Our list here
may not be part of your criteria. At a minimum, we hope that you become informed and give your limited resources where you think they will be used best.

Good resource, but use your own discernment.

amazzin
Jan 19th 2009, 03:16 AM
What was uncalled for? I don't have a beef with the church. Is that not what a lot of churches do? Is that commanded in Scripture?

Just stop it. It is obvious you don't know what you speak of

crystalbrite
Jan 19th 2009, 06:08 AM

I just have to agree, Chad. I know a lot of those ministries do a lot of good works, but they do seem to live in uncommon oppulence. :(

chad
Jan 19th 2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a pitty they were not more transparent with what they do with thier money.

For example, If I knew that the money I give to a particular ministry; was going to go towards a $40,000 dollar watch for the preacher or to buy a roles royce or mercedes for themselves - I wouldn't give the money to them. I would give it to a ministry in need.

I just have to agree, Chad. I know a lot of those ministries do a lot of good works, but they do seem to live in uncommon oppulence. :(