PDA

View Full Version : Father in the OT?

mikebr
Jan 20th 2009, 01:40 AM
It has recently come to my attention that God is never referred to as Father in the OT? Is that correct? If so why do you suppose that is?

Psalms Fan
Jan 20th 2009, 02:14 AM
It has recently come to my attention that God is never referred to as Father in the OT? Is that correct? If so why do you suppose that is?

Hosea 11:1 refers to Israel as God's son, which by implication makes God a "father".

Psalm 2 has the same type of thing "You are my son; today I have begotten you." (some versions say "today I have become your father", but I think the traditional rendering is more accurate).

Isaiah 9:6 has "everlasting father".

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

bennie
Jan 20th 2009, 05:14 AM

my understanding mike is this, about 90% of the reverences to God in OT is actual reverences to Jesus. The Alpha and the Omega

bennie

threebigrocks
Jan 20th 2009, 05:17 AM

Because we had not yet known the Son as we do now. To say Father would have been, well, weird.

keck553
Jan 20th 2009, 05:19 AM

Check this:

(Isa 63:16) For You are our Father (אבינו),though Abraham does not know us, and Israel does not acknowledge us; You, Jehovah, are our Father
(אבינו), our Redeemer; Your name is from everlasting.

crossnote
Jan 20th 2009, 05:47 AM
Perhaps God as Father is only hinted at in the OT as a foretaste of the revealing of His Son fully in the NT. The emphasis on the New Birth in the NT compared to the OT gives us the same reason for the abundant mention of Father in the new.
A whole new concept of Father is also revealed in the NT. Abba = daddy (title of familiarity).

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
(Rom 8:15)

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
(Gal 4:6)

keck553
Jan 20th 2009, 04:29 PM
Crossnote, if you look at the Scripture I pasted above, the hebrew form of "abba" is in that verse. Twice. That was Isaiah, in the OT. There are more references to God as 'father' if you want me to dig them out. Also clear references to His Son. It's not at all hidden.

David Taylor
Jan 20th 2009, 05:13 PM
God The Father
explicitly referenced in the Old Testament writings of Deuteronomy, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Malachi.

Deuteronomy 32:6
"Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? is not he THY FATHER that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?"

Isaiah 63:16
"Doubtless thou art OUR FATHER, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art OUR FATHER, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting."

Isaiah 64:8
"But now, O LORD, thou art OUR FATHER; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. "

Jeremiah 3:19
"But I said, How shall I put thee among the children, and give thee a pleasant land, a goodly heritage of the hosts of nations? and I said, Thou shalt call me, MY FATHER; and shalt not turn away from me."

Malachi 2:10
"Have we not all ONE FATHER? hath not one God created us?"

crossnote
Jan 21st 2009, 05:50 AM
Crossnote, if you look at the Scripture I pasted above, the hebrew form of "abba" is in that verse. Twice. That was Isaiah, in the OT. There are more references to God as 'father' if you want me to dig them out. Also clear references to His Son. It's not at all hidden.

How often is the Son of God revealed in the OT?
Where in the OT does it speak of believers being begotten?
In the OT you have shadows and foretastes of the reality of the Son revealed in the NT. IMHO.

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; (Heb 1:1-3)