PDA

View Full Version : Genesis: "evidence?"

RZ06
Jan 20th 2009, 10:46 PM
I have been reading my new study bible and am only in Genesis where Sodom has just been destroyed.

The new bible is the Archaeological study bible. I'm sure some or most have heard of this one. I have found it to be really interesting, so far. I also read a general study bible I have as that one has more info pertaining to the chapters, where as the archaeological one is more about history information.

With that, these are some of the things I have written down that archaeologists apparently have agreed show biblical reference. Thought I'd share in case others might not know any of this and would find it interesting.

If anyone has read and has updated news about this stuff, please let me know! I would love to read what the refute says. Or if you have something to ADD to it, please share :)

- Serug, Nahor, & Terah match town names.
* Serug = Suruc, 35 miles NW of Haran.
* Nahor = placed around the Balikh River by Haran
* Terah = Til Turahi ("mound of Terah") is North of Haran, on the Balikh River.

- Evidence of 300 yr. drought that occurred end of the 3rd millennium BC time period which Abraham is dated.
Evidence of their destruction as Bible states.

- Sarai's beauty is praised in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

- Gen: 14:10- today you can see lumps of asphalt floating in the Dead Sea

- Armanian tablets found written in Akkadian. Similar story written like Biblical account. "City-state rulers reported hostilities through out Canaan. Complained about a group of people called "Habiru" (hebrew). If Pharaoh didn't take action, all Canaan would be taken over by the Habiru." Talks about King of Jerusaelm, etc.

- Gen 15- the biblical stories of patriachs fit with the historical environment of the late 2ndd millennium.

- Gen 19- layer of ash & burned debri found. Mausoleums were charred, and shows an earthquake also happened to add to the destruction.

- Gen 21-25: ancient well located in Beersheba called "Abraham's well"

That is what I have so far...Good stuff. I wonder if that well is truly the one that Abraham "owned".

shepherdsword
Jan 22nd 2009, 03:55 AM
The new bible is the Archaeological study bible. I'm sure some or most have heard of this one.

I have an NIV version of this. I like it.

Ixthus
Jan 22nd 2009, 04:19 AM
Very interesting.