PDA

View Full Version : would you accept the money?

crystalbrite
Jan 20th 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm sure everyone has heard about the plane that "landed" in the Hudson this past week. The plane was damaged by a flock of geese getting caught in the engines, shutting them both down. The safest place for the pilot to set the plane down where the least amount of damage would be done to those on the ground was the Hudson river. By God's grace, almost everyone escaped unharmed and only one person sustained substantial injury. I just heard on the news that the airline is giving each passenger a check for $5000.00. That's nice, but as a Christian I am not sure I could in good conscience take the money. I mean the crash was caused by geese, not by any failing of the airline, so why should they pay? And wouldn't it be wrong to take advantage of the airline when really they are blameless?

Can anyone tell me what the bible says about a situation like this?
Thanks. :)

crystalbrite
Jan 21st 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm sure everyone has heard about the plane that "landed" in the Hudson this past week. The plane was damaged by a flock of geese getting caught in the engines, shutting them both down. The safest place for the pilot to set the plane down where the least amount of damage would be done to those on the ground was the Hudson river. By God's grace, almost everyone escaped unharmed and only one person sustained substantial injury. I just heard on the news that the airline is giving each passenger a check for $5000.00. That's nice, but as a Christian I am not sure I could in good conscience take the money. I mean the crash was caused by geese, not by any failing of the airline, so why should they pay? And wouldn't it be wrong to take advantage of the airline when really they are blameless?

Can anyone tell me what the bible says about a situation like this?
Thanks. :)

Umm, perhaps I was wrong to assume that everyone has heard about this crash. Is this an American forum?

Vhayes
Jan 21st 2009, 05:48 AM
Hiya -

Yes, I heard about the landing in the river and was so very thankful for the pilots skill and God's hand in everyone getting out with their lives.

Regarding the money - these are the thoughts that came to mind immediately:
1. - In some jobs, when a person works in a dangerous area yet that isn't a part of their "normal" duties, they get what is called "Hazard Pay" - I would like to think the airline rewarded these folks for not panicing and acting in a mature fashion in the face of extreme hazard or danger.
BUT
2. - Another part of me feels the airline knew some dweeb would eventually sue them so they decided to head things off at the pass and offer a one time settlement so there would be no future claims. (Yes, I am at times an incredible cynic).

Would I take the money? Sure. It was offered as a compensation for wacky circumstances that no one ever truly thinks will happen to them when they board a plane. I might donate the money, I might use it to take my family in a vacation so we could enjoy the fact that we still have a life together. Why not?

Just my opinion...
V

crystalbrite
Jan 21st 2009, 05:54 AM
Hiya -

Yes, I heard about the landing in the river and was so very thankful for the pilots skill and God's hand in everyone getting out with their lives.

Regarding the money - these are the thoughts that came to mind immediately:
1. - In some jobs, when a person works in a dangerous area yet that isn't a part of their "normal" duties, they get what is called "Hazard Pay" - I would like to think the airline rewarded these folks for not panicing and acting in a mature fashion in the face of extreme hazard or danger.
BUT
2. - Another part of me feels the airline knew some schmuck would eventually sue them so they decided to head things off at the pass and offer a one time settlement so there would be no future claims. (Yes, I am at times an incredible cynic).

Would I take the money? Sure. It was offered as a compensation for wacky circumstances that no one ever truly thinks will happen to them when they board a plane. I might donate the money, I might use it to take my family in a vacation so we could enjoy the fact that we still have a life together. Why not?

Just my opinion...
V

V, thanks for responding. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps this was a boring subject or what, since 16 people read it and you were the only one who spoke up.

I'm still wondering if this is a primarily an American forum. Not that it matters one iota, I'm just curious because the way some people write, it has made me think they are British or Canadian.

Vhayes
Jan 21st 2009, 05:59 AM
I think there are members who post regularly from all over the world. I personally know one Irish woman who is currently living in England and two I posters I know are Canadian. There is another poster who doesn't visit often who is from South Africa but one of my newest sisters in Christ began posting while she was in Hungary but has just this past week returned to South Africa.

So yes, it is a wildly divergent ethnic board and I think that makes it an interesting place.

By the way - glad you are here!!:pp

V

crystalbrite
Jan 21st 2009, 06:15 AM
I think there are members who post regularly from all over the world. I personally know one Irish woman who is currently living in England and two I posters I know are Canadian. There is another poster who doesn't visit often who is from South Africa but one of my newest sisters in Christ began posting while she was in Hungary but has just this past week returned to South Africa.

So yes, it is a wildly divergent ethnic board and I think that makes it an interesting place.

By the way - glad you are here!!:pp

V

Thank you! :) I'm so glad to be here! There are some wonderful teachers on this forum. Praise God we have so many brothers and sisters the world over. We are connected to one another through our common belief in Him and His Word, no matter our cultural differences! It is a real blessing. :hug:

Denny606
Jan 23rd 2009, 03:09 PM
You have posed an interesting question ,and one that makes people think and hesitate to answer.The mere mention of money makes some people nervous ,with the love of money being the root of all evil. that statement is often quoted but not thought about to the point of it being about the love of money,not just money.We live in a litigious society like it or not and I think US airways was trying to head off some lawsuits and I don't blame them.As to whether or not I would take the money,I probably would and treat it like all other money I get and give a good portion of it away to some one who had a real need for it.You can tell who they are ,because most won't ask for help when they need it some are ashamed and some are depending on the Lord to see them through and if I get a small windfall and can help some one through a bad time ,I think the Lord gave it to me freely ,so freely I will give it away and I have to say I am by no means well off actually on the low side of incomes .But I am Blessed and we don't have to look far to see less fortunate than we are. The last commandment Jesus left with his disciples was "Love one another as I have Loved you"

always
Jan 23rd 2009, 03:22 PM
That pilot grew up in a town about 20 miles from the town I live in.

He is all over the newspaper, job well done, to God the Glory

Yes, I would have taken the money, those passengers went through an ordeal, either lost their belongings or will be without them for a period of time.

We are Christians not idiots

Fresco
Jan 23rd 2009, 03:47 PM
Easy solution, everyone accept the money and donate it to the sole injured person from that flight

always
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:02 PM
Easy solution, everyone accept the money and donate it to the sole injured person from that flight

the one with both legs broken? surely the Airline is handling that cost as well above the 5000.00:hmm:

Soupy
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:03 PM
I'd take the money and book myself a 1st class flight somewhere, the airline get the money back and I get to do something I'd not do otherwise !

:D

Emanate
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:04 PM
the one with both legs broken? surely the Airline is handling that cost as well above the 5000.00:hmm:

Is fresco trying to spend our money? :rofl:

Grace40
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:13 PM
I would take the money. After being scared to death and out in the freezing water. Anyway, I've heard that airlines have insurance to cover this time thing. I'm sure the injured guy got a lot more money or will get a lawyer.

Fresco
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:14 PM
What makes you so sure?? I dont think they're obliged to are they??
And we dont know if that person has an HMO that will cover hospital costs, time off work, prescription pills...etc

Emanate
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:24 PM
What makes you so sure?? I dont think they're obliged to are they??
And we dont know if that person has an HMO that will cover hospital costs, time off work, prescription pills...etc

It is the nature of the beast. If the airlines give 5,000 to people for being cold, how much more to the injured....

Izdaari
Jan 23rd 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't see any ethical problem with taking the money. I think the primary reason the airline is offering it is to soften people's hearts in order to keep from being sued... or from being sued quite so much. America has a very litigious culture these days.

I wouldn't donate the money, since it would meet some very real needs in my life, but I would tithe on it.

always
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't see any ethical problem with taking the money. I think the primary reason the airline is offering it is to soften people's hearts in order to keep from being sued... or from being sued quite so much. America has a very litigious culture these days.

I wouldn't donate the money, since it would meet some very real needs in my life, but I would tithe on it.

You didn't work for it:hmm: it would be a offering

have to watch em at every turn:rofl:

Fresco
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:31 PM
Sshtt...be quiet you fool, they werent gonna notice. :o

:lol: