PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Letting go and racism.

BaseballFan
Jan 20th 2009, 11:46 PM
I have a VERY hard time letting go of things that happend in the past. One of my friends did something in the past that really bothers me and almost everytime I talk to her I think about it and it drives me crazy, I want to be able to let go and move on. And to make it even worse, it makes me angry thinking about it and i end up taking it out on her by criticising her actions and telling her how much of a mistake it was. In the end it makes me look like I think im better than her when I know that Isnt true. Also, Ive done something in my past that I keep thinking about. It happend months ago but I feel like I want to throw up everytime I think about it, I want to be able to let go of that and move on but Im not sure how. Lastly, I've become increasingly racist lately. I really don't want to be racist but living in a racist area and having a parent who may be considered racist has made it difficult for me. I dont mean to blame anyone else because this is my fault, but I want to help you understand that this was almost imprinted on me. I also have friends who could be considered racist, so that reinforces my negative feelings. Im not sure what to do so I become less racist, because I feel like this is something i can't change, sort of like how you cant change what kind of food tastes good to you, or what kind of music you like, if that makes sense. This has been bothering me for a while now because I'm sure God can't be ok with someone being racist and feeling a hatred towards someone else. I just want to know how should I let things go and how can I become less racist? Tips on how to get started would be helpful. Thank you very much for your help. God Bless.

SnakeWesker
Jan 21st 2009, 12:03 AM
Just remember that no matter how bad the thing is that you and her did in your past, God will forgive you if you ask Him for forgiveness.

As for being racist, I can definitely relate. I live in a racist area, worked for a couple years at a racist company, and I live in a racist house. I know that it can be difficult not to succumb to it and join the masses, but just remember: God made ALL of us in His image. Not some of us, but all of us. So how do you think He feels whenever some people downright hate some of His children just because they look a little different? Just keep reminding yourself that, and the racist feelings will go away.

BaseballFan
Jan 21st 2009, 01:38 AM
Hey thank you for replying, and I never really looked at it that way but you're right. I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Vhayes
Jan 21st 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi Baseball fan -

I'm not sure if this will help you or not. All people, regardless of race, creed or color, spit in the sink in exactly the same way when they brush their teeth - from the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich.

God created us the same in the areas that really matter. A person has no control over their skin color, only over their behavior. God judges hearts and intents, not skin.

I'll be praying for you -
V

BaseballFan
Jan 21st 2009, 01:45 AM
Thank you Vhayes, that's another good way to look at it. Thank you for your prayers, it's much appreciated.

Followtheway
Jan 21st 2009, 03:21 AM
serve the race that you hate, so that you can better see that they are just like you. Take all the energy your using to do angry things and put them towards good things, and if your friends cause you to stumble than you should not consider them friends and should not be around them.

Romber
Jan 21st 2009, 04:10 AM
Hey, I noticed you didn't exactly spell out what you and this girl went through-and you may of done it for a good reason. But if you don't mind saying it, I think I can relate really, really well as I may of gone through the exact same situation and have gotten through it now. If you don't want to say, that's perfectly ok-don't feel pressured to.

BaseballFan
Jan 21st 2009, 05:00 AM
Im sorry, I think i may have mislead you. Me and my friend didnt do anything together, but there is something in her past that I have been having trouble getting over. I know that she can't fix what shes done in the past so it should'nt bother me, but I'm still having trouble letting go of what happend. Also, what I did, as you may have already suspected, was something very regretful with a girl (not my friend that I was previously talking about). I would give almost anything to go back in time and fix this, but the past is the past and I know I can't change it so I want to know how to let go of it and kind of forgive myself. Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it.

Ixthus
Jan 21st 2009, 08:42 PM
I have been in the same situation, the best thing to do is try and avoid the people who are racist as much as you are able to do.