PDA

View Full Version : What would Jesus do? (literally)

Bex4Jesus
Jan 21st 2009, 04:50 PM
Okay so I was thinking....how would Jesus have acted on earth, like in everyday life.

Did he have a sense of humor? What kind of jokes would you tell in front of Jesus? (let's face it, most jokes are at least a -little bit- naughty in some way)

Like would Jesus laugh at the American's Funniest Videos of people getting punched in the groin by three-year olds?

Did Jesus find himself attracted to woman? I didn't think it was a sin to notice, but it would be wrong to leer or be lustful about it. So did Jesus notice beautiful woman and think to himself, "She's beautiful"

Did Jesus have "down" time? Like did he have hobbies or interests other than spreading the Word of God? Or was he always "on?"

What was Jesus like as a child and teenager? I mean, did he throw tantrums? Did he rebel against his parents and want to do things like hang out with friends? What kind of friends did he have, considering he told people he was the Son of God?

I know the Bible has literally nothing about his life until he is like 30 and I think these questions are really interesting!! Does anyone have thoughts about any of this?

Confused but trying,

Bex

Walstib
Jan 21st 2009, 05:11 PM
Did Jesus have "down" time? Like did he have hobbies or interests other than spreading the Word of God? Or was he always "on?"

You have allot of questions there. Considering this one I would say He had some down time but was always "on".

Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. (Mat 14:22-23 NKJV)

But they were filled with rage, and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus. Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. (Luk 6:11-12 NKJV)

Then those men, when they had seen the sign that Jesus did, said, "This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world." Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone. (Joh 6:14-15 NKJV)

He did go to parties...

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. (Joh 2:1-2 NKJV)

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' But wisdom is justified by her children." (Mat 11:19 NKJV)

Had friends he loved and cried about.

Then, when Mary came where Jesus was, and saw Him, she fell down at His feet, saying to Him, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died." Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. And He said, "Where have you laid him?" They said to Him, "Lord, come and see." Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, "See how He loved him!" (Joh 11:32-36 NKJV)

This is an example for us I think. We can still go through everyday life and be "on" all the time ready to serve the Lord at all times through all circumstances. Alone and in a crowd. Jesus perfectly for context.

Peace,
Joe

Bex4Jesus
Jan 21st 2009, 05:49 PM
I guess those are sorta surface ideas (he had friends, family) but I was thinking more about specific things like I put in my post. Its easy to say someone had friends, but with Jesus, who knew everything and was perfect, could people really be -friends- with him? How intimidating would that be? Being friends with someone who knew your every dark secret, your every sinful thought?

Its just always confused me about how Jesus was fully human and fully divine, because the two seem to exclude each other. How can you be "fully human" and still be perfect? Our imperfection is part of what makes us human. How could you be friends with someone who knows the day you will die? Or the day your wife will die? Or whether you will go to Hell? How can you be friends with someone who knows what you are going to do before you do it?

I just like thinking about weird things like this!

Confused and ditzy,

Bex

Walstib
Jan 21st 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Bex,

It does not take much time to read through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. That is about all the info we have on His daily life. I trust you are reading the bible yourself and not just asking people to do your homework for you.

Asking questions we know we don't have answers to is in the category of fun I think. Search for the answers.

These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. (Act 17:11 NKJV)

You have lots of questions but we try and have some focus to the threads here. I would suggest slowing down and asking one at a time, and then if there is not already a thread on that topic. The search function is also great for seeing past discussions.

Pick a specific topic and we can go from there?

Peace,
Joe

Walstib
Jan 22nd 2009, 01:14 AM
Its easy to say someone had friends, but with Jesus, who knew everything and was perfect, could people really be -friends- with him? How intimidating would that be? Being friends with someone who knew your every dark secret, your every sinful thought?

Want to start here? Friends with Jesus.

These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. (Joh 15:11-15 NKJV)

Jesus is alive, available for a personal relationship, and can be our friend intimately now. It is not just back then that one would think of this possibility.

That He knows my every thought and deepest secret, for me, makes the friendship easier. There is nothing hidden to distract from the friendship being open and beautiful.

What do you think this scripture is saying?

And He said to them, "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days." (Luk 5:34-35 NKJV)

Peace,
Joe

9Marksfan
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:15 PM
Hi B4J - interesting thread!

I guess those are sorta surface ideas (he had friends, family) but I was thinking more about specific things like I put in my post. Its easy to say someone had friends, but with Jesus, who knew everything and was perfect, could people really be -friends- with him? How intimidating would that be? Being friends with someone who knew your every dark secret, your every sinful thought?

Its just always confused me about how Jesus was fully human and fully divine, because the two seem to exclude each other. How can you be "fully human" and still be perfect? Our imperfection is part of what makes us human.

But it's not - that's one of the main reasons Jesus came - to RESTORE our true humanity! Our imperfections are what shows we are sinful, fallen creatures - there will be no imperfections in the new heavens and the new earth, filled with perfected HUMANS!!!!!!

How could you be friends with someone who knows the day you will die? Or the day your wife will die? Or whether you will go to Hell? How can you be friends with someone who knows what you are going to do before you do it?

I just like thinking about weird things like this!

Confused and ditzy,

Bex

I was just reading this passage today and it just emphasised Jesus' power and authority and also his gentleness, tender love and compassion and APPROACHABILITY - his perfect humanity - in a wonderful way:-

"Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
He will not quarrel or cry out;
no one will hear his voice in the streets.
A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he leads justice to victory.
In his name the nations will put their hope."

Matt 12:18-21 NIV

I know you've realised before how much sin there is in the world and I hope you still accept that (lies etc) - the amazing thing is that Jesus KNOWS how bad we are - far more than we will EVER realise - yet He STILL loves us and died so that we could be His friends forever - isn't that wonderful? All we need to know about Him is in the Bible - and it takes a lifetime to get to grips with it! I'd recommend spending some time familiarising yourself with it - and join a good home bible study group, so that you can find out more from other Christians.

moonglow
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:57 PM
BTW there are many clean jokes..it wasn't until in the last 50 years or so they started really getting sexual and disgusting...

We have a joke forum on here called the lighter side...read through that...you won't find any of us joking with tainted jokes...its just not needed. I grew up watching Red Skelton (https://www.theredskeltonshow.com/?cid=499704)....he was a great comedian and could do it without cussing! I know that is amazing...considering none now a days can manage a single joke without swearing...but was it not only possible then..it was the norm..

From things I have read, Jesus was one that had a dry sense of humor. You wouldn't find Him 'telling' a joke...but turning the tables on others...literally and figurative. :lol:

God bless

Libre
Jan 23rd 2009, 07:49 PM
Love that Red Skelton. Showing my age, aren't I?

I think Jesus put people at ease, and was just very human with them. And many did not really get it, about Him being the Son of God. He called Himself the Son of Man. Only with the Pharisees was He blunt and insulting.

As for recreation and down time, we are only told that He went to pray. That was His refreshing. That, and being with people. He loved/loves people. And He knew His time was short. Much to do. So He relaxed with friends, and prayed to His Father. Maybe He fished? Sanded some furniture? We also know He ate and drank and was accused of being a wine bibber. I think that's all He needed.

moonglow
Jan 23rd 2009, 09:05 PM
Get this movie: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Jesus-movie.jpg

While it doesn't follow scriptures perfectly..(none of them do)...it shows Jesus in a more human way...the other ones I never could relate too because the actor always acted so godly ...:rolleyes: This movie really brought scriptures to life for me and helped me relate to Him more. :)

God bless

Libre
Jan 23rd 2009, 09:09 PM
Can't read who is in it. There are other Jesus movies. Who puts it out?

Found it: Jesus, DVD
Emi Cmg Distribution / DVD

also: http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/top10jesusmovies.html

moonglow
Jan 23rd 2009, 09:29 PM
Can't read who is in it. There are other Jesus movies. Who puts it out?

Found it: Jesus, DVD
Emi Cmg Distribution / DVD

also: http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/top10jesusmovies.html

No its this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(1999_film)

Jesus (1999) is a Biblical telefilm that retells the story of Jesus of Nazareth. It was shot in Morocco and Malta.

It stars Jeremy Sisto as Jesus, Jacqueline Bisset as Mary of Nazareth, Debra Messing as Mary Magdalene and Gary Oldman as Pontius Pilate.

The film is notable for presenting a more human Jesus, compared to more solemn portrayals in earlier films; here Jesus laughs and cries much like anyone else. Among other things, he weeps at Joseph's funeral, throws stones in Lake Galilee when meeting Simon Peter and James son of Zebedee for the first time, dances at the wedding at Cana, and starts a water-splashing fight with his disciples at a well.

Satan is portrayed as a man in modern dress (and as a woman in red, but the former guise is more prominent). During his temptation of Jesus, he shows him the Earth from the vantage point of space.

Oh yea I forgot about the weird special effects...lol...those were pretty cool though.

Please remember (this for those that might object to this movie and my endorsement of it) I was a Christian in name only...I really didn't understand the concept of sin...I thought sin was big bad things like murder, robbing banks...stuff like that...I didn't fully understand either what Jesus did for us..even though I had grown up in church..at least until my dad died when I was 11. I was seeking God though and this is how I found this movie. A more mature Christian might be somewhat put off by some of what goes on in the movie but its really good for those that are seeking, new in Christ...

I was shocked too when they showed Jesus reacting IN pain to being whipped..and nailed on the cross. All the other movies He was silent and so the gravity of His suffering was lost...I cried like a baby too while watching it. That is when Jesus became real to me.

God bless