PDA

View Full Version : satan

Joe King
Jan 23rd 2009, 01:28 AM
How powerful is he? Can he read our thoughts? I don't believe him to be omnipresent but there is evil and evil thoughts everywhere. Is it demons working for him?

I know this may be silly questions, but I do want to learn more of our adversary. I know we have what it takes to defeat him with the word of the LORD and the blood of Christ but I would like more info if you could help.

Thank you.

Joe

markdrums
Jan 23rd 2009, 01:42 AM
How powerful is he? Can he read our thoughts? I don't believe him to be omnipresent but there is evil and evil thoughts everywhere. Is it demons working for him?

I know this may be silly questions, but I do want to learn more of our adversary. I know we have what it takes to defeat him with the word of the LORD and the blood of Christ but I would like more info if you could help.

Thank you.

Joe

I'd say no.

Satan doesn't have special powers, and can't read our minds.
He also can't give people magical powers, or grant wishes either.

He's an angel. (A fallen angel, but an angel nonetheless.)

All he can do is "suggest" things to us. Telling lies, but making them SOOOOO beautiful, and appealing.

He DOES have other fallen angels who joined him in rebellion against God.
I don't know that I would classify them as "working for him"...... maybe a better description would be, "working WITH him."

Evil thoughts and actions are everywhere because of Adam & Eve's rebellion against God's command as well.... and they go that far back.
(Look at Cain- he murdered his own brother out of jealousy....)

So the evil in the world that we see today is nothing new.

Make sense?

Joe King
Jan 23rd 2009, 01:50 AM
I'd say no.

All he can do is "suggest" things to us. Telling lies, but making them SOOOOO beautiful, and appealing.

Make sense?

Thank you for your response. I have been thinking about the process of sin and it seems to me like things are being suggested even when times I am thinking of the LORD. Then when I try to stop the thoughts there is more suggestions. It just seems like the thoughts keep coming in and in the same line of thought. For example, if I am lusting, more thoughts come in of different women out of nowhere. At that point, is it my mind that is taking over while he is walking away laughing? I know this may digress from the original question and seem like I am trying to pass blame, but I'm not. I just want to see how this whole process works.

markdrums
Jan 23rd 2009, 02:43 AM
Thank you for your response. I have been thinking about the process of sin and it seems to me like things are being suggested even when times I am thinking of the LORD. Then when I try to stop the thoughts there is more suggestions. It just seems like the thoughts keep coming in and in the same line of thought. For example, if I am lusting, more thoughts come in of different women out of nowhere. At that point, is it my mind that is taking over while he is walking away laughing? I know this may digress from the original question and seem like I am trying to pass blame, but I'm not. I just want to see how this whole process works.

Ya know... it almost sounds like you're describing ME!
We all have to deal with the influence & suggestion of sin. Unfortunately, our flesh craves it.

We're under constant attack by Satan's rebellious choice, and because of Adam & Eve's original act of disobedience.

Here's a verse that explains it well:
Eph 6:12 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Eph&c=6&v=12&t=KJV#12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

Satan can't "give" people anything.... he can only make empty promises & suggestions to us; and WE need to realize that he's not going to tell us the truth.

Don't get discouraged with your struggles & battles. You're on the winning team! Look at those battles as training & strengthening exercises; opportunities to grow & flourish in your walk with Jesus.

We're in a spiritual battle, but we've been given the necessary tools to win....... continuing on in Ephesians:
Chapter 6:13-17

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

;)

mikebr
Jan 23rd 2009, 02:54 AM
He can ONLY do what God allows him to do. He's a tool. No more than a shovel or a pair of pliars. Oh yeah and he can lie.

9Marksfan
Jan 23rd 2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's important for us neither to over- or underestimate his power. He IS more powerful than man - indeed the whole world is enslaved to him and cannot break free unless the Son sets them free - but he is NOT more powerful than the Christian who has put on the whole armour of God. I believe he CAN and DOES defeat the disobedient Christian and that fiery darts CAN and DO get through "chinks" in our spiritual armour - but God heas our wounds and enables us to recover and fight again.

I believe that, while Satan is neither omnipresent nor omniscient, he does have supernatural access to our thought lives in some way - it started in the Garden of Eden and continues to this day - he knows us VERY well and knows our weak spots - where he can get a foothold - we need to be on our guard against him - constantly vigilant, using the weapons God has given us to tear down any strongholds he may have in our lives (2 Cor 10:3-4). We overcome him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of ur testimony - using the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God!

Jerome1
Jan 23rd 2009, 06:44 PM
Satan can't "give" people anything.... he can only make empty promises & suggestions to us; and WE need to realize that he's not going to tell us the truth.

Do you think Satan was lying when he told Christ that he would give him the glory of the kingdoms of the world, because they had been given to him(Mark4:6)?

I'm also curious how you think a future antichrist will rise to such prominence without satanic influence?

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 23rd 2009, 07:08 PM
I think it's important for us neither to over- or underestimate his power. He IS more powerful than man - indeed the whole world is enslaved to him and cannot break free unless the Son sets them free - but he is NOT more powerful than the Christian who has put on the whole armour of God. I believe he CAN and DOES defeat the disobedient Christian and that fiery darts CAN and DO get through "chinks" in our spiritual armour - but God heas our wounds and enables us to recover and fight again.

I believe that, while Satan is neither omnipresent nor omniscient, he does have supernatural access to our thought lives in some way - it started in the Garden of Eden and continues to this day - he knows us VERY well and knows our weak spots - where he can get a foothold - we need to be on our guard against him - constantly vigilant, using the weapons God has given us to tear down any strongholds he may have in our lives (2 Cor 10:3-4). We overcome him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of ur testimony - using the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God!

Excellent post...

and the Scripture...

Greater is HE that is in me , than he that is in the world...

and for this you have 'OVECOME' the Wicked one....

amen and amen..

I know he's real and he has those who followed him working for him.... he has supernatural powers as he is above man...he has 'will' and 'intent'.. and has knowledge... and I know from experience he is a master theologian.... twisting the 'Truth' to decieve and he does this to his own destruction.. as it is recorded in Revelation.. his eternal state will be the Lake of Fire...

You 'overcome' the wicked one by the ONE who is inside you.. Jesus the Christ.. for He has already 'overcome'.. overcome the world, sin, death , hell and the grave... For this reason you Overcome and have Eternal Life.. something the satan does not have... and this is one thing that infuriates him...believe me..

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 23rd 2009, 07:21 PM
Paul addressed him (satan) as the god of this world.. and notice.. this was AFTER Christ went to the Cross.. was Resurrected and had Ascended into Heaven... and is seated at the Right Hand of the Father..

Christ overcame Him and defeated him thru His own physical death... and subsequent resurrection.. proving that He was God and that even the Grave can't hold him in... Christ is seated above ALL principalities.. now.. thrones, seats... He is Seated above all those.. and those are made 'SUBJECT' unto Him.. whether they be wicked or not wicked... invisible.. or visible...

Satan has 'limited'.. power but he is free to roam and walk to and fro.. seeking those he wants to devour.. Christ took the power of death from Him... as prior to the cross satan had the power of death according to Hebrews.. and this reason Christ came.. to destroy the works of the devil.. and take that and SOLELY control it... for He has the Keys to Death , Hell and the Grave...

When I was unsaved.. Jesus stopped satan from destroying me.. many times.. and I mean many times.. even as a young toddler it was revealed to me that he tried to destroy me.. but God stopped him... this before I 'knew' who He was or even what Jesus or Salvation was about....God Loved Me first.. and that is why I Love Him today and will Eternally be grateful and thankful... for what He has done.. amen and amen...

markdrums
Jan 23rd 2009, 07:23 PM
Do you think Satan was lying when he told Christ that he would give him the glory of the kingdoms of the world, because they had been given to him(Mark4:6)?

I'm also curious how you think a future antichrist will rise to such prominence without satanic influence?

I absolutely DO believe Satan was lying to Jesus. Satan didn't (and doesn't ) have the authority to give the kingdoms of the world to anyone.
Besides, It HAD to be a lie, because the kingdoms of the world already BELONGED to Jesus...... being that he created the world.

(Did that make sense??) I'm not sure I worded this quite the way I wanted....

As far as INFLUENCE goes, YES. He can influence us by suggesting things to us. Telling US lies, and trying to make us doubt the truth.

Concerning a future, singular, specific AntiChrist person.... I'll just say, I don't see that particular scenario as being solidified in scripture. ;) Although, within that model of eschatology, it WOULD take Satan's influence to cause someone to become that evil.

moonglow
Jan 23rd 2009, 07:46 PM
Here is a good article about how satan works in the world: The Person, Work, and Present Status of Satan (http://www.cmfnow.com/articles/pt015.htm)

Also a word of warning...many times on any thread that involves discussion of satan people come on here and mock and make fun of him..the bible warns against doing this though! We are to NOT ever mock any type of spiritual being...not even satan...we are to give him the same respect we would to someone holding a gun at us. This of course isn't the same type of respect and admiration we give to God Almighty. What I am saying is no one mocks and laughs at the person pointing a gun at them do they? Yet Christians do this all the time with satan, assuming satan has been disarmed...he hasn't. But we have been given the armor of God to protect us....IF you know how to use it! Many Christians don't and go through terrible spiritual attacks because of this lack of knowledge. Christ gave us the authority to stand against these attack.

Instead Christians lack this knowledge...then mock satan, laugh at his upcoming final defeat and not knowing how to use the armor of God pretty much invite satan's attacks upon themselves! They do this in ignorance...lack of knowledge I realize so that is why I am posting the following information. You don't tease a mean dog thinking he can't get over the fence....you don't do that with satan either.

Look at this passage:

Jude 9

8 In the same way, these people—who claim authority from their dreams—live immoral lives, defy authority, and scoff at supernatural beings. 9 But even Michael, one of the mightiest of the angels, did not dare accuse the devil of blasphemy, but simply said, “The Lord rebuke you!” (This took place when Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses’ body.) 10 But these people scoff at things they do not understand. Like unthinking animals, they do whatever their instincts tell them, and so they bring about their own destruction.

This following is from a bible commentary that explains how serious mocking creations of God is...EVEN if its the devil himself:

David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible (http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?book=jude&chapter=001)
2. (9) Michael the archangel as an example of someone who would not speak evil of dignitaries.

Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

a. Michael the archangel . . . the devil: Jude mentions two kinds of angelic beings. Michael is among the angelic beings faithful to God, and servants of God and man. The devil is among the angelic beings rebelling against God, and enemies of man.

i. There are invisible, angelic beings all around us. There are ministering spirits sent by God to assist us, and demonic spirits who want to defeat us. The devil can't unsave a saved person; but through his deceptions he can corrupt and defile a Christian who is supposed to walk in purity and freedom. To the devil, we are time bombs, ready to wreck his work.

ii. Many people today don't believe the devil exists, but the Bible says he does. Or, if they believe he exists, they think of him in comical images from the Middle Ages. Back then, "miracle plays" were a chief form of entertainment. They were sort of a pageant in where religious stories were acted out on stage. The audience learned to look for one character who was always dressed in red, wore horns on his head, and had a tail dangling behind him. His shoes looked like cloven hoofs, and he had a pitchfork in his hand. The audience was amused by this silly characterization of Satan, and got the idea that he is sort of a comical character.

b. Michael the archangel: This angelic being is mentioned by name in four passages of the Bible: Daniel 10, Daniel 12, Revelation 12 and here in Jude. Every time Michael appears, it is in the context of battle, or readiness to fight. He is an archangel, which simply means a "leading angel."

i. If the devil has an opposite, it certainly isn't God. It is Michael the archangel.

ii. "Let it be observed that the word archangel is never found in the plural number in the sacred writings. There can be properly only one archangel, one chief or head of all the angelic host. Nor is the word devil, as applied to the great enemy of mankind, ever found in the plural; there can be but one monarch of all fallen spirits." (Clarke)

c. When he disputed about the body of Moses: This is another obscure reference by Jude. The last we read about the body of Moses is in Deuteronomy 34:5-6: So Moses, the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth Peor; but no one knows the grave to this day.

i. We don't know where Jude received his information about this dispute. He may have received a unique revelation from God. But according to teachers in the early church, Jude is referring to an apocryphal book known as the Assumption of Moses, of which only small portions survive.

ii. We don't even exactly know why there was a dispute about the body of Moses. Some have said that the devil wanted to use Moses' body as a object of worship to lead Israel astray into idolatry. Others have thought that Satan wanted to desecrate the body of Moses, and claimed a right to it because Moses had murdered an Egyptian.

iii. It is more likely consider that the devil knew of a purpose God had for Moses' body, and he tried to defeat that plan. We know that after his death, Moses appeared in bodily form at the Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-3) with Elijah (whose body was caught up to heaven in 2 Kings 2). Perhaps also Moses and Elijah are the two witnesses of Revelation 11, and God needed Moses' body for that future plan.

iv. But the main point isn't why Michael was disputed, but how he disputed with the devil.

d. Dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" The manner of Michael's fight is a model for spiritual warfare. First, we see that Michael is in a battle. Second, we see that he battles with the Lord's authority.

i. This proves to us that Michael is not Jesus, as some heretical groups have thought. Jesus rebuked the devil in His own authority, but Michael does not. "The point of contrast is that Michael could not reject the devil's accusation on his own authority." (Bauckham)

ii. Significantly, Michael dared not bring against him a reviling accusation. Michael did not "trash talk" the devil. God hasn't called us to judge the devil, to condemn the devil, to mock him or accuse him, but to battle against him in the name of the Lord! (more at the link too)

God bless

Jerome1
Jan 24th 2009, 01:13 AM
I absolutely DO believe Satan was lying to Jesus. Satan didn't (and doesn't ) have the authority to give the kingdoms of the world to anyone.
Besides, It HAD to be a lie, because the kingdoms of the world already BELONGED to Jesus...... being that he created the world.

How do you harmonize that with Jesus calling him the ruler of this world(John12:31), and Paul calling him the god of this world(2Corinthians4:4)?