PDA

View Full Version : Pharisee History.

napsnsnacks
Jan 23rd 2009, 10:27 PM
Does anone know what the earliest record of the existence of the group known as the Pharisees is?

Emanate
Jan 23rd 2009, 10:37 PM
I believe it started after the Maccabean revolt (Hanukkah). I will have to refresh my memory.

crossnote
Jan 24th 2009, 05:59 AM
Does anone know what the earliest record of the existence of the group known as the Pharisees is?

Not as far as I can see! :giveup:

Biastai
Jan 24th 2009, 06:07 AM
I've read they come from the Hasidim described in I Maccabees. They were supporters of the Maccabees through John Hyrcanus (however described as pacifists in I Maccabees). They were more about passive resistance from the time of Pompey (Jesus of Nazareth, Joseph Klausner).

chad
Jan 24th 2009, 10:02 PM
Here is some history from wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisee

napsnsnacks
Jan 26th 2009, 05:50 PM
I was wondering because Jesus accused them of shedding the blood of the prophets so that goes way back hundreds of years, maybe more, so I was curious if He was referring to Pharisees specifically as if they may have existed back then on the Old Testament or of the garden variety Jews of the Old Testament.

ProjectPeter
Jan 26th 2009, 05:53 PM
I was wondering because Jesus accused them of shedding the blood of the prophets so that goes way back hundreds of years, maybe more, so I was curious if He was referring to Pharisees specifically as if they may have existed back then on the Old Testament or of the garden variety Jews of the Old Testament.
He was simply speaking of the Jewish religious leaders of the various days. Not necessarily the sect of the Pharisee. They were simply the sons of those "fathers" of the nation.