PDA

View Full Version : Eben Shetiyah

Nihil Obstat
Jan 23rd 2009, 10:55 PM
There are several references to "the bottomless pit" or "the abyss" in Revelation, and I just recently came across the Jewish tradition surrounding the famous rock of The Dome of the Rock. This rock is called the eben shetiyah, or foundation stone, which was in the Most Holy Place and was that on which the ark would have sat had it been there. The rabbinic tradition is that this stone was the covering of the shaft leading down to Sheol. I'm wondering now if the smoke doesn't pour out of some random rent in the earth, but instead out of the temple. This judgment is clearly one against demon worship, and it is largely agreed upon that the temple to come will house an abominable idol. Picturing smoke and demon-locusts issuing forth from the temple is quite scary! Also, this may explain the beast's nature a bit better as well (cp. Rev. 11:7; 17:8; 2 Thess. 2:3-4). I don't know, though - as I said, this is a very new thought to me. What are your thoughts? (The rabbinic myths are rather interesting, if you should decide to research this. The fact that "leviathan" is mentioned in Scripture tells us that myth does occasionally mingle with truth by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.)

- Astro

Ixthus
Jan 24th 2009, 04:55 AM
Interesting post, I really want to hear what people will say about this.

Nihil Obstat
Jan 26th 2009, 05:14 PM
Interesting post, I really want to hear what people will say about this.

Yeah... me too. :P

Nihil Obstat
Feb 3rd 2009, 07:25 PM
There may be disunity between this theory and Rev. 11:1-2... not sure though. Feedback?

Benaiah
Feb 6th 2009, 07:26 PM
My opinion is that I would stick with Paul's admonition.

Tit 1:14 not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.