PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite book in the Old Testament

Jemand
Jan 24th 2009, 03:34 AM
What is your favorite book in the Old Testament, and why is it your favorite?

cross crusader
Jan 24th 2009, 04:02 AM
What is your favorite book in the Old Testament, and why is it your favorite?
Jonah- its me....

VerticalReality
Jan 24th 2009, 04:08 AM
Isaiah - Looking past the surface where there is a ton to be seen.

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 24th 2009, 04:09 AM
Isaiah for the 'glue', and Ecclesiastes for the brutal honesty.

mikebr
Jan 24th 2009, 04:11 AM
I've always been drawn to Ezekiel. I love chapter 16 and the Lord has used to direct me many times.

Walstib
Jan 24th 2009, 04:28 AM
Job-- Seeing the sovereignty and majesty of God

My heart's Desire
Jan 24th 2009, 04:59 AM
I love parts of many of them. Most of Daniel. The visions of God in the first part of Ezekiel.
The stories of the Prophets, Elijah and Elisha. The story of Hannah who asked for a child, given Samuel and gave him to the Lord. The story of when Samuel first heard God calling him and he thought it was Eli calling. I'm learning to love most of the O.T but the various stories are what holds my attention the most. The Worship in the Psalms and the Prophetic in Isaiah. I could go on and on.

shepherdsword
Jan 24th 2009, 05:00 AM
Psalms..it's one the few books I can relate to

Ixthus
Jan 24th 2009, 05:14 AM
Probably Daniel..........Issiah would come close though.

Denny606
Jan 24th 2009, 05:21 AM
I like reading in Isaih and KIngs I&II and try to read at least one chapter of proverbs a day,31 makes for a month of good reading!!!!

Dani H
Jan 24th 2009, 05:22 AM
Isaiah. Chapter 54, specifically. Because God is my Husband and He will personally teach my children His ways.

What else is there to be said?

markedward
Jan 24th 2009, 05:43 AM
Daniel.........

Esperanza32
Jan 24th 2009, 07:48 AM
Jonah. It makes me laugh. And cringe, because I can identify with Jonah.

Bethany67
Jan 24th 2009, 09:29 AM
Joel - one single verse stayed with me all through my time as a witch (after I left a cultlike church and abandoned my faith) and I could never get it out of my head. It was a personal promise from God that where I'd thrown myself was not where I would stay, although I saw it as a threat in those days.

timmyb
Jan 24th 2009, 03:19 PM
I have two in particular

Ruth: Story of the Redeemer.... our story

Isaiah: Prophet of Restoration

Psalms Fan
Jan 24th 2009, 04:23 PM
The Psalms (hence my name). They are, as Martin Luther said "the bible in miniature". The whole range of the human experience is there, all offered up to God in prayer. The NT, especially the author of Hebrews, quotes the Psalms more than almost anything else in the OT to establish doctrine (particularly about who Christ is). Christ is everywhere in the Psalms. You cannot read a psalm and not see something about the person, life, or work of Christ (some more obviously so than others).

Yukerboy
Jan 24th 2009, 04:30 PM
Genesis - The creation account and the prophecies beginning from the time Adam sinned.

fontz
Jan 24th 2009, 06:39 PM
Joshua-trust in the Lord and He brings salvation & victory in all we do

Jemand
Feb 3rd 2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you, all, for your replies!

My favorite book in the Old Testament is the Book of Genesis because in that book we have stories that teach important Biblical truths and that demonstrate the cohesiveness of the message of the Bible.

slayerment
Feb 4th 2009, 09:10 AM
Definitely Genesis. That book really has so many important things going on. It really covers a lot of ground and leaves a lot open for debate.

BHS
Feb 4th 2009, 01:14 PM
I have three great favorites --

Deuteronomy -- the most quoted "OT" book in the "NT" contains some of my favorite scriptures. I love it for its wisdom.

Isaiah. It is so pertinent for today it causes me to reflect upon my relationship with the Lord. I love the prophecies of return from exile, the messianic prophecies of Jesus and the coming restoration.

Genesis -- for its foundational understanding of the beginning of time and its messianic prophecies and allusions.

God bless you,
BHS

Emanate
Feb 5th 2009, 04:23 PM
I like Ecclesiastes. I find I can relate to it.

tango
Feb 5th 2009, 04:30 PM
If I had to pick one it would probably be Ezekiel for the illustrations of both the wrath and the mercy of God.

HisLeast
Feb 5th 2009, 04:42 PM
Job, Ecclesiastes, and Leviticus

Job & Ecclesiastes are simultaneously the most encouraging and depressing books in the bible. Ecclesiastes borders on agnosticism in its discussion of futility and the unknowable ... which is something I really identify with.

Leviticus is just eye opening... "So you've decided to live next to God: A survival guide"