PDA

View Full Version : A question on prayer

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 03:19 PM
I have a question on prayer and I need some counseling from mature christians ( I have only been a True Christian for 3 years).

In Timothy we are told there is only one medaitor between god and man, the man Christ Jesus.

So if that be the case, why is it that we christians all pray to god IN JESUS NAME? Are we not then bypassing the only mediator and interceding for another....?

This comes up after a discussion on prayer groups, praying for people to be healed, blessed, what ever..

If I believe in a triune godhead, which I do, then I must pray to Jesus to go to his Father and intercede on behalf of another...I know Jesus said "ask in my name and it will be given to you"
BUT, I believe that he is saying pray for yourself.. why else would he use the word you, and not "ask in my name and it will be given to them"

So. If I am praying for myself for strength, help, whatever then I can go directly to God the Father and ask in Jesus name.

But if I am asking the Lord to help someone else or for someones salvation, then I believe I must ask Jesus to be the mediator...
I cant just usurp his role....

Does this make any sense??

karenoka27
Jan 24th 2009, 03:27 PM
John 14:6-" 6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Hebrews 7:24-25-"but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."

I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand. You can pray to the Father. We are going to the Father in the Name of His Son Jesus Christ. Jesus is our Mediator. The one we have to go between us and the Father.

lacy+chk
Jan 24th 2009, 03:28 PM
I am confused by what you are actually asking. By praying to God and asking for something in Jesus' name, that IS using Jesus as the mediator. Because you're not implying that Jesus is unimportant, and you aren't going around him. He is included in the prayer too. You aren't praying directly to Jesus asking him to be the mediator, because that would be ignoring God the Father.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I am a newer Christian than you, so perhaps someone else has a better answer. I hope I helped just a little, though, and that I'm not way off base.

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 03:31 PM
My question is not in praying for oneself, but in praying for the healing or blessing of some one else.

Such as , praying to God the Father in Jesus name for cousin vinney who has a cold. Is that not intercedeing on cousin vinneys behalf and bypassing Jesus?

Should it not be praying to Jesus to intercede and heal cousin vinney?

lacy+chk
Jan 24th 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think prayer for someone is different than praying for a situation for yourself. You are not bypassing Jesus by praying to God in Jesus' name on behalf of someone.

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 03:48 PM
You are not....aren't you just using the name of Jesus?

Aren't you being the mediator (the person between God and another, ie cousin vinney)?

Remember Jesus said ask in my name and YOU shall receive ...???

pc_benz
Jan 24th 2009, 03:53 PM
Just remember there is no way to be made right with God except through and in Christ. With that thought I have started praying sometimes like this:

"Father I humbly come before You, not of my own, but in Christ and it's only because of Christ I can have assurance You hear and love me..."

It's fine I think to just end your prayers in Jesus name, but I find starting my prayers off ackowledging that outside Christ I am dead helps me stay focused on Him during my prayers and not my wants. Whether my wants be someone getting healed, my problems, salvations, etc...

These wants are important, but only if it will bring Glory to Him who reins Forever. Remember outside of Christ' righteouness (making us right with God) we are nothing, so it has to be "in" Christ we pray. I do not know if that makes sense...

karenoka27
Jan 24th 2009, 03:56 PM
You are asking a good question.

You are not interceding in place of Jesus Christ. Since the Bible tells us that no man comes to the Father but through the Son,this is why we pray in Jesus Name.

If I wanted to see the President, I would only be able to do so through someone else. That person would intercede on my behalf. They would be the only one who could get me in to see the President.
When we pray to the Father, Jesus is the only One who can get us to the Father. Do I make any sense?:rolleyes:

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 03:57 PM
YES thats what I am thinking, your thoughts seem to be similar to mine.

To go directly to the Father and then tag on "in Jesus name" seems to downplay the role and sacrafice that Jesus made for US...

It seems to many times we simply tack on the name of Jesus as if it were a stamp on a letter....

lacy+chk
Jan 24th 2009, 03:58 PM
You shall receive what you are asking for, yes. You shall receive the health of your cousin, which you are asking for in Jesus' name. If you think of your cousin's health like any other situation, i.e. praying for a job, you are not mediating between being jobless and God, but you are praying for the situation to get better (finding a job). In the same way, you are not playing the mediator, but praying for someone. You don't possess the power to do so.

As already stated...John 14:6-" 6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

karenoka27
Jan 24th 2009, 04:01 PM
Ephesians 5:20-"always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 04:03 PM
You are asking a good question.

You are not interceding in place of Jesus Christ. Since the Bible tells us that no man comes to the Father but through the Son,this is why we pray in Jesus Name.

If I wanted to see the President, I would only be able to do so through someone else. That person would intercede on my behalf. They would be the only one who could get me in to see the President.
When we pray to the Father, Jesus is the only One who can get us to the Father. Do I make any sense?:rolleyes:

My question is why do we pray to the Father directly?

Should we not be praying:

Jesus I am coming before you to intercede on cousin vinneys behalf with the Father, that The Father may extend his healing touch on cousin vinney. It is only by your intecession that the Father hears me and I humbly thank you for all you have done and will do for me...

seems like its only semantics but words have definite meaning and God chose them with care when He inspired the bible writers.....

I hope I am making sense

karenoka27
Jan 24th 2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, you are making much sense.
Read John chapter 17 and let me know if that helps in any way.

jrepp
Jan 24th 2009, 04:08 PM
Ephesians 5:20-"always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I am not saying we cant go to the Father on our own behalf, knowing that we are resting in Christ, I AM asking about going to the Father directly on anothers behalf....

karenoka27
Jan 24th 2009, 04:36 PM
Let's look at the word to pray and see if this helps.
Please know this is a very good question.

Pray: parakaleō in the Greek. It means:
1) to call to one's side, call for, summon
2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
a) to admonish, exhort
b) to beg, entreat, beseech
1) to strive to appease by entreaty
c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
1) to receive consolation, be comforted
d) to encourage, strengthen
e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
f) to instruct, teach

When we pray we are directing our requests to the Father, through the Son which we have already established.
We can pray for anyone and the Bible is filled with Scriptures of people praying on behalf of another. I do understand what you are saying,but when you pray for someone you are interceding in the way of asking,but not in the way of answering. Does that help?