PDA

View Full Version : Washing feet

Denny606
Jan 27th 2009, 07:44 AM
I was curious does any one on here practice foot washing as part of their communion ,and yes I am a belong to a Baptist church and no I don't think we are the only ones who are going to make it to Heaven,this is a question about foot washing being practiced still today.

CommanderRobey
Jan 27th 2009, 07:50 AM
Foot washing is still practiced in some denominations. I am a Baptist, but when I was 13, I lived with a family of Mennonites. At the Mennonite Church, they practiced foot washing.

That is the only Church I have attended where foot washing was practiced.

faithfulfriend
Jan 27th 2009, 01:01 PM
I was curious does any one on here practice foot washing as part of their communion ,and yes I am a belong to a Baptist church and no I don't think we are the only ones who are going to make it to Heaven,this is a question about foot washing being practiced still today.

Yes we practice it. It's commanded from God's Word that we wash one another's feet.

mikebr
Jan 27th 2009, 01:12 PM
I have washed my wife's feet several times. I don't think that Jesus did this to give us something to do but to show us who HE was. He came to serve us.

Clydson
Jan 27th 2009, 02:54 PM
Greetings Denny.

There are many in Christendom who practice foot washing because they believe God commands it from His New Covenant. I do not practice it because God does not command it from His New Covenant.

If one wants to practice foot washing, that's fine with me. Where I object is when it is made binding upon the Christian. If God did not bind it, and He did not, man has no authority to override Him.

Jake

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 27th 2009, 04:04 PM
Jesus washing His disciples feet was pointing to the Heart of Christ... a 'servant's Heart'...

the world teaches that you must be well known, rich, wealthy.. the status quo and if you are in this position of power then you won't be needing to 'serve' but have other's 'serve' you...

Jesus was demonstrating humility and that as a Christian you will serve others.. thru the power of the Spirit

Peter was taken back by the Lord's actions and wanted no part of it.. but Jesus told Him... if you don't let me wash your feet then you will have no part IN ME...

Washing of the feets shows us the Humility and Servanthood that is characteristic of a child of God... he/she is called to do that..

You look to Phillipians and you will see what Christ was about...

made Himself of no reputation but took on Himself the 'form' of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men...

Here you have the God of the Universe , the Creator, in the form of a man.. getting down on His knees and washing His disciples feet..

Thats a pretty Humbling statement and act...

A Servant's Heart.. a Part of the Heartbeat of the Only True Living God.. Jesus the Christ.. God manifest in the flesh..

always
Jan 27th 2009, 06:29 PM
It is one of our church's ordinances to do footwashing.

There is no set time, just when the pastors see's fit, it is a show of humility, and promotes the type of love that Christ has.

I know before anyone is ordained they participate in this ceremony to their over shepherds

RabbiKnife
Jan 28th 2009, 01:59 PM
Free Will Baptist churches practice feetwashing.

Some Southern Baptist Churches observe the practice during Holy Week on Maundy Thursday.

Some non-denominational churches observe the practice.

The Pope washes the feet of the poor each year during Holy Week.

godscallministries
Jan 28th 2009, 02:40 PM
I have participated in washing feet in a SBC church and a Pentecostal church. In the Baptist church, the Pastor,deacons, and leaders washed the feet of the congregation to show humility and demonstrate service. This was symbolic, of course. In the Pentecostal church everybody washed feet..again symbolic of service and humility.

Remember that in Jesus's time, washing feet was something a host did for a guest. The guest would be hot and tired and dusty from travel, so the host would usually have the servants wash the guests' feet. The act of foot washing is not specifically commanded, nor was it a ritual. Jesus actually washed the feet after everyone was in the room and settled back, so he took a practice of lowly servitude, and applied it at a time that is was not norally used in order to make a point.

Look at it this way, footwashing is not part of modern culture (normally). I do not use this as an excuse to disregard commands. However, if you do something for others that is "beneath" your status out of love and humility, then you demonstrate grace and humility.

If we would only do similar things, then our actions would demonstrate Christ to others for the glory of God. Footwashing a few times in the church is a great reminder that leaders in the church should be humble servants (deacons are supposed to be servant leaders anyway). However, daily acts of humility and service to others (especially when we do not have to do them) is far more demonstrative of Christ's love and God's working through each of us.

thegospelgeek
Jan 28th 2009, 08:20 PM
If we would only do similar things, then our actions would demonstrate Christ to others for the glory of God. Footwashing a few times in the church is a great reminder that leaders in the church should be humble servants (deacons are supposed to be servant leaders anyway). However, daily acts of humility and service to others (especially when we do not have to do them) is far more demonstrative of Christ's love and God's working through each of us.

Correct. Sounds like godscallministries has a pretty good handle on it. Daily acts of service are the key. I am a Free Will Baptist Pastor and we do practice the washing of the Saints feet. The feet washing is just a reminder much like the Lord's Supper is a reminder of his sacrifice. However I do hate it when people say that Jesus never told us to do so.

(Joh 13:14) If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
(Joh 13:15) For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

RabbiKnife
Jan 28th 2009, 09:50 PM
Gospelgeek, where are you a FWB pastor?

thegospelgeek
Jan 29th 2009, 07:42 PM
Gospelgeek, where are you a FWB pastor?

Assistant Pastor in Jackson Ohio

tt1106
Jan 29th 2009, 07:56 PM
Not as a regular communion, but I have done ministry teams where foot washing was done. It was pretty neat.

vic66
May 28th 2015, 08:47 PM
He [Jesus] riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciplesí feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one anotherís feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.Ē* (John 13:4-17)

Greetings Denny.

There are many in Christendom who practice foot washing because they believe God commands it from His New Covenant. I do not practice it because God does not command it from His New Covenant.

If one wants to practice foot washing, that's fine with me. Where I object is when it is made binding upon the Christian. If God did not bind it, and He did not, man has no authority to override Him.

Jake

SeekFirstTheKingdom
May 29th 2015, 08:58 AM
I have recently done the literal foot-washing thing in a home-based fellowship. It was awesome.

However, I don't think the literal foot-washing is something that Christians "must do". As a matter of fact, the more important thing to get your arms around with respect to the foot-washing, is this: serving one another in humility.

Jesus Christ, the King of kings (FIRST), humbled Himself and washed the feet of His followers/servants (LEAST).

The foot-washing was a practical example of an overall bigger teaching. Serve one another in humility, and even more-so as you become more mature in the faith. Also worth noting, if you've ever done the literal foot-washing thing, you know that it is an intimate ordeal. It's symbolic of Christ's desire for His children to be intimate with one another (over and above our individual intimacy with The Holy Spirit). Unlike shaking someone's hand at a seeker friendly 'church', the foot-washing (especially back in those days feet would be dirty/smelly/calloused) was a humbling thing to do for someone you loved enough to bare a bit of unpleasantness within the process.

Notice, in the counterfeit church system, people who want big titles (bishop, pope, elder, pastor, whatever...), they want to be esteemed and revered by men etc. This is the opposite of what Jesus did in His foot-washing example. I can't see a famous celebrity pastor washing the feet of some poor stinky man of no reputation. Again, now think of Jesus Christ (the King of GLORY) washing the feet of men of no reputation.

The process helps in reminding the body to love and respect each other, to serve one another, regardless of who is more or less mature in the faith, or who is more or less gifted and bearing fruit over another, etc.

That's my two cents - hope it blesses someone

dan p
Sep 6th 2016, 11:06 PM

Hi and I am curious that no one has seen that it is about Jesus earthly ministry !

When I attended a a 7 DAY CHURCH OF gOD AS a kid I did it one time !

The main reason is that the 12 Diciple are going to be sitting on 12 Thrones judging Israel in the Millennium >

Anyone in the Priest hood , under the Law Moses had to WASH their feet before going into the Holy Place , ot face death !!

dan p

Scooby_Snacks
Sep 7th 2016, 12:06 PM
I connect Jesus washing of the disciples feet with cleansing of their walk through His Spirit and by His Word.
Christ has made them fully clean through His Word, and the foot washing also depicts His continual cleansing of what seems sanctification to me, through the Word as well as His place as servant to God first and to His own.
The Body of Christ interacting through His Spirit build and cleanse and sharpen one another.

John 13:9-10
Simon Peter says to Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also the hands and the head."
Jesus said to him, “The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean.
And you are clean, but not every one of you.”

John 15:3
Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.

boangry
Sep 8th 2016, 01:03 AM
I see the Lord washing the disciples feet with water as a picture and an example for us to follow, the picture is a spiritual continuation from the Old Testament, where the priests had to wash their white garments and sprinkle them with blood to become clean before God.
We now wear or are seen from God as wearing white linen garments washed clean in the purified water(the word) sprinkled with the blood that flowed from Calvary, we are bathed and no longer need to clean ourselves for the Lord has made us completely clean, yet like the priest in the tabernacle we still walk from the laver to the Holy of holies so to speak and get dust on our feet, we likewise walk through this world getting worldly dust or sin on our feet.

He who says has no sin is a liar yet in Gods eyes we are sinless, what an awesome God. Yet we still not only need to wash our feet with the continual washing of the Word but we need to let others wash our feet and wash others. Not literally but spiritually. Some verses for thought...

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. Gal 6:1-3

1Jn 5:16a If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death.

Scooby_Snacks
Sep 8th 2016, 02:11 AM
I really like what you shared here boangry,

I have never had anyone wash my physical feet, but when someone is honest with me and I receive from the Holy Spirit what He wants me to hear, it has the same effect, spiritually speaking.

I would prefer the honesty over the foot washing personally.

nmwings
Sep 21st 2016, 11:01 PM
Each year in our home we wash each otherís feet before sitting down for our Passover Meal.

I LOVE doing it for everybody else (I like doting on people like that sometimes, esp the elderly), but I absolutely HATE having it done to me! I get so embarrassed (and NO I donít have Athleteís Foot or 12 toes! :lol:) But once you perform the Foot Washing Ceremony (both giving AND receiving) Ö. it has a way of changing people. It did me! I can certainly relate to Simon Peterís initial refusal to let Jesus wash his feet before their Passover Meal (John 13) becauseÖ.Itís quite the HUMBLING experience. But then, once you get used to it a little bit, it doesnít actually feel all that bad. In fact, itís pretty nice to have someone doting on me for a change! So then I could also relate to Simon Peterís enthusiasm for Jesus to wash his head and hands, too!

Stonesoffire
Sep 28th 2016, 09:31 PM
I connect Jesus washing of the disciples feet with cleansing of their walk through His Spirit and by His Word.
Christ has made them fully clean through His Word, and the foot washing also depicts His continual cleansing of what seems sanctification to me, through the Word as well as His place as servant to God first and to His own.
The Body of Christ interacting through His Spirit build and cleanse and sharpen one another.

John 13:9-10
Simon Peter says to Him, "Lord, not my feet only, but also the hands and the head."
Jesus said to him, ďThe one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean.
And you are clean, but not every one of you.Ē

John 15:3
Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.

Totally agree Scooby.

and also your post boangry