PDA

View Full Version : A thread for suggestions and a wish list for the bible databse software.

shepherdsword
Jan 27th 2009, 08:25 AM
Is there already an item of this? I have some suggestions and several items on my wish list for the new version of the bible database program.
If there is already one then please delete this item and PM me the link.
Thanks SW out!

bdh
Jan 28th 2009, 05:37 AM
Feel free to go for it. Although I must give you some background first --

I haven't done any work one the BibleDatabase software in ages. This is due mainly to two things

a. I'm totally disappointed with the .net framework and Windoze in general - especially the VISTA whale.

b. Bibledatabase was written in VB Visual Studio 6 which is now ancient and I don't have anything else. It does not have, for example, native UTF-8 support. We tried some work-arounds and even wrote a few objects in C which we linked in but it's a far cry from where I want it to be.

I have some thoughts on where I'd like to go from here but right now, that's all it is.

delawarerj
Jan 21st 2011, 10:47 PM
RE: "b. Bibledatabase was written in VB Visual Studio 6 which is now ancient and I don't have anything else." -- Are you aware of the FREE availability of Visual Basic 2010 Express? (See http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-Basic.) It does require you to use .NET, though. I believe that Visual C++ 2010 Express is the only Visual XXXXX 2010 Express version which allows creation of NON-.NET Windows applications.

-- DelawareRJ

Feel free to go for it. Although I must give you some background first --

I haven't done any work one the BibleDatabase software in ages. This is due mainly to two things

a. I'm totally disappointed with the .net framework and Windoze in general - especially the VISTA whale.

b. Bibledatabase was written in VB Visual Studio 6 which is now ancient and I don't have anything else. It does not have, for example, native UTF-8 support. We tried some work-arounds and even wrote a few objects in C which we linked in but it's a far cry from where I want it to be.

I have some thoughts on where I'd like to go from here but right now, that's all it is.