PDA

View Full Version : Bible support for Para Church Ministries

poochie
Jan 27th 2009, 10:00 AM
I cant think of any verses off the top of my head as the book of Acts is focused on the local church but does anyone know of any? There are tons and tons of independent para church ministries out there that do not run under a church, and one has to wonder if this is Biblical.

My heart's Desire
Jan 28th 2009, 04:44 AM
I cant think of any verses off the top of my head as the book of Acts is focused on the local church but does anyone know of any? There are tons and tons of independent para church ministries out there that do not run under a church, and one has to wonder if this is Biblical.
The early Church of Jewish believers in Christ are believed to have met in synagogues.
The Gentile churches probably met as small home groups.

In Colossians Paul refers to the church that was in the house of Nmphas as well as referring to a letter that was to be read in the church of Laodiceans.

Church sometimes means "assembly". You have to decide by context if it was the Church or just an assembly. Or an assembly of the Church. :)

Biastai
Jan 28th 2009, 05:01 AM
In our New Testament, we see only the beginning of the trend from itinerant ministry to the local church. An incidence of friction between the two stages may be dimly seen in 3 John. For a look into the solidifying local church, one would have read letters written in the late 1st century and early 2nd century, namely those of Clement and Ignatius. Though not canonical, these letters shed some light onto the beginnings of church government and their fight to maintain order in the growing faith.