PDA

View Full Version : Jesus repented - LORD repented

wtj
Jan 27th 2009, 02:56 PM
Jesus repented by partaking of the baptism of repentance - by the ministry of john the Baptist.

He repented from living a life unto self – to take up the cross to the will of the father.

And at his baptism he left us this leading.

And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. Matt. 3:15

not only him but us also. That we might take upon us the baptism of repentance and the way of the cross. That we might walk in the way, the truth, and the life.

It is written

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Matt. 16:24

If one thinks to do evil in his heart – Is it sin?

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matt. 5:28

Has one sinned when he thinks upon evil?

If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings. Jer. 26:3

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14

Seeking comment

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 27th 2009, 03:49 PM
What did Jesus repent of? Had he had 'sin' in His life?

Jesus was without sin.. 'knew' it not....

Jesus 'knew' He was God... He 'knew' what He had been Sent for.. to die... and to bear witness to the Truth...

As far as 'repenting' of living His life unto Himself... I don't believe He ever 'let go' of the Reason He was sent and at one time prior to the Baptism in the Jordan.. He was off doing 'a thing contrary to the Will of God' which would cause Him to 'need' the Baptism of Repentance in Water.. turning from a 'life of self' and needing Repentance...

In John it says Jesus had 'Life' in Him.. He was "life" and in Him was the Lightof Men... He is Light and Life...

Why did He go into the Jordan to be Batized by John the Baptizer?

to fulfill all Righteousness...

He was manifesting Himself to the World..

For John the Baptist

testified by speaking...

Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world..

and they Heard the Father speak from Heaven..

this is my Son, in whom I am well pleased..

although Jesus took part in the Baptism of Repentance He was in need of 'no repentance' from sin or any other thing.. God manifest in the flesh, in the Person of Jesus the Christ, was demonstrating what those who would follow Him would do as they were called to follow Him..

Baptism in water as an action as a Born Again Christian Convert...

You also see the Holy Ghost falling on Jesus as He arose out of the water... pointing towards a time in the future when He would Baptize His children in the Holy Ghost...

For John even testitifed to the reality that he baptized in water.. but there was One coming who was Greater than He.. whose sandals he was not even worthy to unloose... He shall Baptize you with fire and the Holy Ghost...

CommanderRobey
Jan 27th 2009, 09:54 PM
Jesus, from the age of twelve, was about the Father's business.

Now, this does not mean He was working or living contrary to God prior to His twelfth birthday. For we know the Word of God declares He 'knew no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth.'

There was nothing for Jesus to repent of at all.

Notice in the account of Jesus' baptism that John said he had need to be baptized of Jesus... but Jesus never said 'I need to be baptized of you.' Jesus only said 'Suffer it to be so,' or 'Allow it to happen as I have asked.'

livingwaters
Jan 27th 2009, 09:56 PM
AMEN~~~Jesus had nothing to repent for!!!!!:pp

Bladers
Jan 28th 2009, 02:10 AM
AMEN~~~Jesus had nothing to repent for!!!!!:pp

Amen, for He is Him who knew no sin!

Ta-An
Jan 28th 2009, 06:54 AM
He came to show the way for us to repent of our sins.

He knew no sin, yet He died for our sins.

AnointingOfDavid
Feb 11th 2009, 10:02 PM
I was actually studying the subject of "Does God Repent" in my personal study today and found this site so this is my first post and am looking forward to the fellowship on this medium.

I agree with everything that has been posted as a response to this thread and would like to add that the word "repent" in the Old Testament doesn't carry the same connotation as it does in the New Testament: (Below are two scriptures in the original post)

"If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings. Jer. 26:3

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14"

The Hebrew transliteration of the word "repent" in these two scriptures, of the Old Testament, is nacham (pronounced--- nä·kham') , which means "to be sorry, console oneself, regret, suffer grief, comfort oneself, have compassion". Therefore, every time the word "repent" is used in connection with God, it is taken from the context of pity, compassion, or grief...i.e "And the LORD repented (had compassion or was moved to pity) of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14"

Whereas the Greek transliteration of "repent" in the New Testament, is metanoeo (pronounced---me-tä-no-e'-ō), which means "to change one's mind, i.e. to repent; to change one's mind for the better, to heartily amend with abhorrence of one's past sins."

In light of this difference, I agree with Commander Robey, "but Jesus never said 'I need to be baptized of you.' Jesus only said 'Suffer it to be so,' or 'Allow it to happen as I have asked.'" Jesus was not "repenting" (metanoeo) by merely participating in the baptism.

bosco
Feb 11th 2009, 10:28 PM
Jesus repented by partaking of the baptism of repentance - by the ministry of john the Baptist.

He repented from living a life unto self – to take up the cross to the will of the father.

And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. Matt. 3:15

not only him but us also. That we might take upon us the baptism of repentance and the way of the cross. That we might walk in the way, the truth, and the life.

It is written

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Matt. 16:24

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matt. 5:28

If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings. Jer. 26:3

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14

Seeking comment

Two points.

1. While Christ had nothing to repent of, he was the example WE are to follow. Many say Christian means Christ-like. Agree or not, we are to be Christ-like. We are to do as he did. So he taking the baptism of repentence was showing us what WE were to do. What was his message?

Matt. 4:17 From that time Yahushua began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.(RNKJV)

2. God has repented concerning us! Our fate was eternal separation from him, until...we repented and centered our lives on him. Then he repented of what was to become of us.

Bosco

bosco
Feb 11th 2009, 10:36 PM
I was actually studying the subject of "Does God Repent" in my personal study today and found this site so this is my first post and am looking forward to the fellowship on this medium.

I agree with everything that has been posted as a response to this thread and would like to add that the word "repent" in the Old Testament doesn't carry the same connotation as it does in the New Testament: (Below are two scriptures in the original post)

"If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings. Jer. 26:3

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14"

The Hebrew transliteration of the word "repent" in these two scriptures, of the Old Testament, is nacham (pronounced--- nä·kham') , which means "to be sorry, console oneself, regret, suffer grief, comfort oneself, have compassion". Therefore, every time the word "repent" is used in connection with God, it is taken from the context of pity, compassion, or grief...i.e "And the LORD repented (had compassion or was moved to pity) of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. Ex. 32:14"

Whereas the Greek transliteration of "repent" in the New Testament, is metanoeo (pronounced---me-tä-no-e'-ō), which means "to change one's mind, i.e. to repent; to change one's mind for the better, to heartily amend with abhorrence of one's past sins."

In light of this difference, I agree with Commander Robey, "but Jesus never said 'I need to be baptized of you.' Jesus only said 'Suffer it to be so,' or 'Allow it to happen as I have asked.'" Jesus was not "repenting" (metanoeo) by merely participating in the baptism.

There is more than one Hebrew word translated (not transliterated) as repent.

Ezekial 18:30- Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Master YHWH. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

In this case, the Hebrew word is shoob, and means to turn back or retreat. This word, as used above in this verse, carries the same meaning as the Greek metanoho, which means to think differently or reconsider. In both cases, as used, it carries the meaning of reconsidering or turning away from an ungodly life, and toward a godly one.

Bosco

keck553
Feb 11th 2009, 10:55 PM

It is written

Seeking comment

You may want to study all the purposes of Mikvahs, and also what our Messiah said to John when He went in.

Walstib
Feb 12th 2009, 02:10 AM

Welcome to the Board! I encourage you to post an introduction HERE (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19).

Lots of great people and conversations around here, take a look around and enjoy your stay. :)

Benaiah
Feb 12th 2009, 04:13 PM
Jesus also paid the Temple tax, even though he made it clear he was actually exempt from having to. (Matt. 17:26)

Joyfulee
Feb 12th 2009, 06:09 PM

It is written

Seeking comment

"Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
James 1:15

"The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?"
Jer. 17:9