PDA

View Full Version : unforgivable sin?

prestonbrownie
Jan 28th 2009, 05:29 AM
So, I've heard from a friend that every sin is forgivable...except one.
At first, I took it as a surprise because I figured God viewed every sin the same, rather a white lie or murder...

But apparently "openly denying the existence of God and/or the status of Jesus as the Christ" is an unforgivable sin...fact or fallacy?

CommanderRobey
Jan 28th 2009, 07:42 AM
Matthew 12:24-32 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Clearly, in this passage, the unforgivable sin is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the devil.

uric3
Jan 28th 2009, 08:42 PM
I have posted this before on these boards and hopefully it'll help you as well.

Basically its where you commit to yourself that you will never obey the gospel and that no matter what you see, hear, or know you will still reject it. Its kind of like if a person was in a canoe going down the river toward a water fall, someone yells from the bank... get to shore theres a waterfall ahead, they are like whatever an go on. A little futher someone else tells him he needs to stop or he'll go over the fall. So he doesn't listen and continues on his way rejecting what he has been told. Lastly one last person tells him and still keeps pressing on, he finally hears the water fall and starts to go over there isn't anything he can do about it... its to late because he already went over.

Basically we have chance after chance in life to turn to God, but if we reject it and never obey it no matter what you have seen, heard, etc... then there isn't any hope for you.

Here are some passages and things to help better explain:

Passages
Matthew 12:31-32 (Larger context: 12:22-37)
31 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
32 "And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the {age} to come.
Mark 3:28-30 (Larger context: 3:20-30)
28 "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"--
30 because they were saying, "He has an unclean spirit."
Luke 12:10
10 "And everyone who will speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him.
Situation
Great miracle had taken place. The blind and dumb man spoke and saw. Multitude was amazed. Pharisees knew they must discredit it or they would lose their following. Accused Jesus of casting out demons by the ruler of the demons. This indicates they recognized the miracle and had to attribute it to some power beyond man. They did not want to attribute the miracle to God, however, because then they would have to admit that Jesus came from God or had the power of God. A clear case of denying the truth in the presence of the facts. (People often do this today.)
Jesus showed them how ridiculous their assertion was. Satan would not wage war on Satan. That done, he explains how his power was superior to that of Satan, the "strong man." "How can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man?"
Then He goes on to indicate how serious it was to reject Him. "He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with me scatters."
Explanation
These men, Jesus said, were blaspheming the Spirit. Yet, rereading the passage, we see that they had not actually spoken evil of the Holy Spirit in so many words. Actually, their words were aimed at Jesus (see v. 24: "this man"), not the Holy Spirit. In verse 32, Jesus said that such words spoken against Him could be forgiven.
No, it wasn't what they had said that brought them into so much danger, though what they said was certainly a serious matter. The problem was what they were doing.
The words of J.W. McGarvey are helpful here:
"Blasphemy against the Son may be a temporary sin, for the one who commits it may be subsequently convinced of his error by the testimony of the Holy Spirit and become a believer (I Tim. 1:13). But blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is in its nature an eternal sin, for if one rejects the evidence given by the Holy Spirit and ascribes it to Satan, he rejects the only evidence upon which faith can be based; and without faith there is no forgiveness."
These men were rejecting the evidence supplied by the Holy Spirit (see verse 28: "if I cast our demons by the Spirit of God…") To continue to do such would be disasterous for them because, as McGarvey says, they were rejecting the only evidence upon which faith could be based.
Mark adds something to this. Mark 3:29-30 says, "but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin - because they were saying 'He has an unclean spirit.'" Again, the words were uttered against Jesus, but he effect was blasphemy of the Spirit. These men went so far in their rejection of the clear evidence provided by the Spirit that they called God Satan. Their words were indicative of the hardness of their hearts and their willful rejection.
Therefore
When a person sees the clear evidence provided by the Holy Spirit (in this case a real miracle) yet is so against it that he rejects it, he blasphemes the Spirit and cannot be forgiven. The reason he cannot be forgiven is that they do not avail themselves to the forgiveness God offers.
Corroboration from other passages
Two passages in the New Testament speak of a similar result of certain actions.
Hebrews 6:4-6
This passage speaks of one who has fallen away so completely that "it is impossible to renew them again to repentance…" If repentance is an impossibility, then such a person has reached a point where he cannot be forgiven. This is the very same condition as that brought on by blasphemy of the Spirit. Since Jesus said there was only one such sin that can bring about this result, we must of necessity conclude that this passage is referring to the same issue, i.e., in some way, blasphemy of the Spirit (though it is not described that way.)
(A=B, C=B, therefore A=C) The Hebrew writer speaks of a fallen condition for which there can be no forgiveness. Jesus speaks of a blasphemous condition for which there can be no forgiveness. Therefore, to fall so completely that one cannot bring himself to repent is to blaspheme the Spirit.
What does the behavior described in this passage have in common with what the Pharisees were doing in the passages on blasphemy of the Spirit? They had been "made partakers of the Holy Spirit" (v. 4) and had "tasted the good word of God" (v. 5) The word of God is inspired by the Spirit - it is the Spirit's word. These people, like those in the earlier passages, had seen the Spirit's evidence, but has chosen to leave it. They had fallen away. They had rejected the only witness that they were going to get. It was, therefore, "impossible to renew them to repentance."
Hebrews 10:26-29
Notice that those described here have gotten themselves into such a situation that "there no longer remains a sacrifice for sin." (v. 26) If the sacrifice for sin is gone, then there can be no forgiveness. This implied impossibility of forgiveness is the very same condition as that brought on by blasphemy of the Spirit.
Again, (A=B, C=B, therefore A=C.) If blasphemy of the Spirit makes it impossible to receive forgiveness and continuing to sin willfully makes it impossible to receive forgiveness, and there is only one sin that makes forgiveness impossible, then blasphemy of the Spirit is the same as continuing to sin willfully after understanding the truth.
Notice that those who "go on sinning willfully" (v. 26) have "insulted the Spirit of grace." This is very similar to Jesus language about blasphemy of the Spirit.
It should be noted here that "go on sinning willfully" has two aspects. The sinning is continuous (i.e., doesn’t stop) and the sinning is willful.
Sporadic failures are not continuous. Times we give in to temptation and sin but do not want to are not willful. The KJV rendering ("if we sin willfully") does not reflect the continuous nature of the sin under discussion.
In order for someone to go on sinning willfully after he has received the knowledge of the truth (i.e., been enlightened by the word of God, the Spirit's work) he must of necessity push out or ignore the evidence of the Spirit that condemns his actions.
Conclusion
We conclude, therefore, that what the Pharisees were doing was suppressing the evidence provided by the Spirit. They continued to do this. It was sin for them to do so. Jesus called this blasphemy of the Spirit. The Hebrew writer called it insulting the Spirit of Grace. One who continually suppresses the truth God sends will not receive saving grace. Thus, he can never be forgiven.
It is therefore very reasonable to say that if a Christian worries that he has blasphemed the Spirit, he probably hasn't. If you are such a person, and you are concerned about this issue, I encourage you to read and accept I John 1:7:
"…but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."

I think that explains it pretty well, hopefully that helps.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 28th 2009, 08:46 PM
Clearly, in this passage, the unforgivable sin is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the devil.
-----------------------------------------------------------

This is correct Commander... I agree... its nothing more or nothing less.. but attributing the Work of the Holy Ghost to the work of the power of Satan... This sin is unforgivable....

Partaker of Christ
Jan 28th 2009, 09:34 PM

This is correct Commander... I agree... its nothing more or nothing less.. but attributing the Work of the Holy Ghost to the work of the power of Satan... This sin is unforgivable....

I to agree with this.
I also believe that this is not something done in ignorance.

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 28th 2009, 09:44 PM
I to agree with this.
I also believe that this is not something done in ignorance.

Partaker.. I agree.. with your statement.. thank you...

theBelovedDisciple
Jan 28th 2009, 09:46 PM
The Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out devils by the prince of the devils.... they were attributing the Power of the Holy Ghost.. to the work of satan himself... He turned to them and said.. if a kingdom be divided that kingdom will not stand.. if satan cast out satan. .then his kingdom will fall.. it will not stand....

but... If I by the Finger of God cast out devils.. then without a doubt the Kingdom of Heaven is upon you.. and it is here.. Behold....

The Blasmphey against the Holy Ghost is attributing the Work of the Holy Ghost to the work of satan himself.. There is nothing you can add to that or take away from it.. its very simple... I've seen people who have come across my path... call the Holy Ghost that is in me.. an evil spirit'.. or 'he has a devil or demon.. these people were very religious folk...were not born again.. but religious.. but out their mouths spewed accusatory venom that would make the devil blush... and today I'm afraid to say.. they are not around... and Jesus is right when He tells the Truth that

He/she who blasphmemes the Holy Ghost shall never have forgiveness.. but is in danger of eternal damnation..

It is Truth when Jesus says that...

parsonsmom
Mar 25th 2009, 08:46 AM
I BELIEVE AN PERSON THAT IS NOT BORN AGAIN WILL GO TO HELL IF THEY DON'T ACCEPT JESUS AS THEIR PERSONAL SAVIOR. THAT WE KNOW IS A FACT. I BELIEVE THAT TO Blasmphey, A PERSON MUST HAVE BEEN
BAPTISED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, HAVE KNOWN AND PARTAKEN IN THE GIFTS, TO Blasmphey.

ALSO I BELIEVE THAT THE SIN UNTO DEATH IS UNFORGIVENESS.
JESUS SAID; IF YOU DON'T FORGIVE OTHERS OF THEIR SINS, THAT HE CAN'T FORGIVE OUR SINS. RESPECTFULLY, PARSONSMOM

chad
Mar 25th 2009, 09:53 AM
Thats interesting. Some (Christians) consider those who do some 'miraculous healings' - works done by the Devil and not the Holy Spirit.

I am not talking about 'Rekei healing' or healing done by non-christian 'spiritualists', I am talking about ordained christian pastors who pray for others for healing (sometimes by the laying of hands) - considered the work of the Devil and not God.

To be more specific, what i'm talking about is a TV evangalist who prays for people to be healed. On one of his broadcasts, he prayed for a person, and the person was suspended in the air, arched backwards - with no one holding him.

A pastor I know of said he had seen this in the occult and believed that this TV evangalist, did his healing and works - by the power of the occult and suggested that his healings were not of God, even though thier other healings are done in the name of Jesus, claiming to be done by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Would this be considerd 'Blaspheming the Holy Spirit'?

The Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out devils by the prince of the devils.... they were attributing the Power of the Holy Ghost.. to the work of satan himself... He turned to them and said.. if a kingdom be divided that kingdom will not stand.. if satan cast out satan. .then his kingdom will fall.. it will not stand....

but... If I by the Finger of God cast out devils.. then without a doubt the Kingdom of Heaven is upon you.. and it is here.. Behold....

The Blasmphey against the Holy Ghost is attributing the Work of the Holy Ghost to the work of satan himself.. There is nothing you can add to that or take away from it.. its very simple... I've seen people who have come across my path... call the Holy Ghost that is in me.. an evil spirit'.. or 'he has a devil or demon.. these people were very religious folk...were not born again.. but religious.. but out their mouths spewed accusatory venom that would make the devil blush... and today I'm afraid to say.. they are not around... and Jesus is right when He tells the Truth that

He/she who blasphmemes the Holy Ghost shall never have forgiveness.. but is in danger of eternal damnation..

It is Truth when Jesus says that...

embankmentlb
Mar 25th 2009, 12:00 PM
The One unforgivable sin: Not following Jesus.
Forgivable sin's: Everything else.

Partaker of Christ
Mar 25th 2009, 03:31 PM
The One unforgivable sin: Not following Jesus.
Forgivable sin's: Everything else.

Sorry but that is not what the scripture says.

If a person repents of any sin whatsoever, It will be forgiven him.

The sin of Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, will not be forgiven, no matter how much a person repents.

Emanate
Mar 25th 2009, 04:05 PM

Then one should be knowledgable in the stated Scriptural work of the Holy Spirit. Attributing sensationalism/emotionalism to the Holy Spirit is equally as blasphemous and unforgivable.