PDA

View Full Version : Are all sins equal?

Joe King
Jan 28th 2009, 03:40 PM
Can anyone help with scripture regarding this?

tango
Jan 28th 2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know that I'd say that all sins are equal, but any sin will separate us from God.

We can see the idea that all sinners are separated in a few places - italics are the Bible text, commentary in parentheses is my own:

Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (we have all fallen short no matter what our specific sin might be)

Jas 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. (whatever we do wrong leaves us guilty before God)

But at the same time we see a few other verses suggesting that some specific sins are worthy of special mention:

Mar 3:28 "Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;
Mar 3:29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation"—

1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Rev 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Thinking in terms of scoring a test paper we might say that some mistakes are worth larger negative scores but if the passmark is 100% we fail whether we scored 0% or 99%

Joe King
Jan 28th 2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the info. Great stuff.

karenoka27
Jan 28th 2009, 04:36 PM
I thought of the following verse. The bottom line is God hates sin. He loves us but hates what we do that is against His Holiness. Praise Him for forgivness!

Proverbs 6:16-"There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."

DIZZY
Jan 29th 2009, 12:31 PM

In a humanistic view we say I am not a bad sinner I just stole a pen, I haven't murdered some one like that person over there.

In God's eyes we are just as bad as the person who committed murder. If you break one of God's commandments then you have broken them all.

Acts 17:30 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=17&verse=30&version=50&context=verse)
Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

Luke 18:9-11
9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.

If a murderer repents and God to forgives them, and the person that stole the pen doesn't repent which won is favoured in God's eyes? The murderer or the theif that stole the pen, mind you it was only a pen what harm is that.

A sin is a sin no matter how great or small we think it is, in God's eyes you are condemned until you repent.

BroRog
Jan 29th 2009, 02:32 PM
In God's eyes we are just as bad as the person who committed murder. If you break one of God's commandments then you have broken them all.

I don't think taking a pen is just as bad as murder or that one sin is just like another. Even if it's true that taking a pen is enough to get us put into hell, it isn't as bad as killing someone.

Fresco
Jan 29th 2009, 04:07 PM
Dante's different levels of hell is an interesting read (not saying its accurate though)

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/dante/images/full1kw.jpg

Oma
Jan 30th 2009, 03:27 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned this text yet.

Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

John 19:11 (KJV)

MacGyver
Jan 31st 2009, 12:34 AM
There is sin which is deadly; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not deadly. 1 John 5:16-17

Notice the different levels here in Matt. 5:22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire.

John 19:11 Jesus answered him, "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above; therefore he who delivered me to you has the greater sin."

JesusPhreak27
Jan 31st 2009, 01:06 AM
Jesus Christ tells us in the Gospels that He can forgive ALL sins except one: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

This tells me that all other sins are equal in that the blood that that was shed on the Cross on Calvary covers them all and that confessing your sins to Him allows you the freedom of knowing that your "slate has been wiped clean" and that in God's glorious eyes you are perfect just like His Holy Son our Savior and Messiah Jesus Christ..... BECAUSE of Christ's actions on the Cross....

Now in earthly terms is stealing a loaf of bread the same as stealing a car? No......

But we are the ones who have classified some sins as worse then others.... Even in the OT God required the shedding of blood if a person broke any part of the Law.....Not just certain parts.....

Teleiosis
Jan 31st 2009, 02:15 AM
1JN 5:16 If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.
I don't know exactly what John is talking about here, and neither does the Expositor's Bible Commentary:

16b The author comments that intercession is not required if it involves a "sin that leads to death." This is puzzling. We do not know exactly what the author has in mind. Judaism distinguished between deliberate or presumptuous sins--sins of open rebellion against God that are punishable by death--and sins of ignorance or inadvertence that can be atoned for (Lev 4; Num 15:22-29 cf. vv. 30-31). First-century Judaism retained this pattern (see Notes). In the Johannine community some such distinction was presumably made, hence the limitation "sin that leads to death."

Conjecture as to whether there was one such sin--e.g., blasphemy against the Holy Spirit or several--e.g., apostasy, murder, etc.--is fruitless. Nor is it the author's concern. He desires that intercessory prayer be made in all instances with the exception of sins that lead to death. Why does he make this exception? Presumably because he is speaking of spiritually efficacious prayer--prayer that will lead to eternal life. Such prayer can be made only for those who are rooted in God's life and love.

Who then is excluded from efficacious prayer? The text offers no clues. As has just been said, it might refer to the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:29). But the content of the epistle may point to the surmise that the sin John has in mind may be that of false teaching. For life to be given to those who deny Jesus Christ, hate their brother, and refuse the witness of God would be a contradiction. Since such persons deny the mercy of God, prayer for them would appear to be limited to asking for their repentance and conversion to God's truth.

17 Earlier John defined sin as "lawlessness" (3:4). Now he adds "unrighteousness" (NIV, "wrongdoing"). Possibly some in the community, knowing that the children of God were not to sin (3:9-10), attempted to deal with the problem of Christians' sinning by limiting sin to deliberate or lawless acts. If so, John will have none of it. All wrongdoing (adikia) is sin, even when done by the children of God. But not all sin results in death. The author aims first at honesty (cf. 1:8) and only then at resolution. Sin is not dealt with by denial but by confession and by community intercession for one another (5:16). Where this intercession occurs, the divine life of God is present and fellowship with God takes place. Within this life and fellowship, the blood of Jesus Christ purifies believers from all sin (1:7).
Mark

MacGyver
Jan 31st 2009, 02:38 AM
Jesus Christ tells us in the Gospels that He can forgive ALL sins except one: Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

This tells me that all other sins are equal in that the blood that that was shed on the Cross on Calvary covers them all and that confessing your sins to Him allows you the freedom of knowing that your "slate has been wiped clean" and that in God's glorious eyes you are perfect just like His Holy Son our Savior and Messiah Jesus Christ..... BECAUSE of Christ's actions on the Cross....

Now in earthly terms is stealing a loaf of bread the same as stealing a car? No......

But we are the ones who have classified some sins as worse then others.... Even in the OT God required the shedding of blood if a person broke any part of the Law.....Not just certain parts.....The fact that Christ can forgive sins does not make those sins equal in the eyes of God, nor does their punishment if one goes to the otherside of the grave without being forgiven. I think the best way to say it is that all forgiveness is equal, but not all sins are equal.

Fresco
Feb 1st 2009, 02:41 AM
Ezekiel 39:24
I turned my face away and punished them in proportion to the vileness of their sins

That verse tells me that not all sin is equal, God punished the Israeli's according to how vile their sins were.
If all sins are/were equal there wouldnt be different punishments for different sins

ProjectPeter
Feb 1st 2009, 03:14 AM
Jesus did tell folks that it would be worse for them than it was for Sodom and Gomorah. So I figure there is going to be something worse for some than others. He said the same thing about hypocrites too. ;)

Roelof
Feb 1st 2009, 04:02 AM
All sins hurt Jesus
Some sins, example 1 Cor 6:9, will cause you NOT to inherit the Kingdom of God
If we repent and stop sinning, all sins can be washed away by the Blood of Jesus