PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about judgement

minnesotaice
Jan 29th 2009, 01:08 AM
Once and for all, I want some biblical truth about the word judgement.

Sometimes, I hear people say that we "Are not supposed to judge one another" or "Dont judge me". Sometimes that comes after a person stating that a behavior/action is sinful or wrong.

Jesus said "Do not judge, lest ye be judged" but Paul said that we are supposed to "Judge those inside the church"

Okay, but what does judgement mean???

Are we not supposed to help someone who is falling into sin or sinning? And if so, how do we do it in a manner that is not "Judging"???

rom826
Jan 29th 2009, 02:19 AM
Once and for all, I want some biblical truth about the word judgement.

Sometimes, I hear people say that we "Are not supposed to judge one another" or "Dont judge me". Sometimes that comes after a person stating that a behavior/action is sinful or wrong.

Jesus said "Do not judge, lest ye be judged" but Paul said that we are supposed to "Judge those inside the church"

Are we not supposed to help someone who is falling into sin or sinning? And if so, how do we do it in a manner that is not "Judging"???

It would be helpful if you would post the scripture from which Jesus spoke and the one from Paul is referring to. That way we can be on the same page and look at the context.

Fresco
Jan 29th 2009, 02:30 AM

I'll explain it best I can

If you're stuck in a deep well and cant get out. You scream for help, I come along and hear your screams. I walk over, see you in the well, and then say "You, how can you put yourself into that predicament". Dont you know its stupid to get stuck in a well??"

Thats judging

The opposite of judging is to say "If you grab that rope thats hanging at the side, you can pull yourself out of the well". Thats being helpful and not judging

CommanderRobey
Jan 29th 2009, 02:33 AM
While Jesus did indeed say in Matthew 7:7 Judge not lest ye be judged, He also said in John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

We who are of Christ can judge righteous judgment. In other words, judge according to the judgment that is written in the Word of God.

Don't judge hypocritical judgment. If you are struggling with a certain sin, don't point an accusing finger at those who are struggling with the same sin.

I am reminded of the woman brought to Jesus who was taken in adultery and Jesus' response to the unruly crowd. "Let him who is without sin among you cast the first stone."

Notice He did not rebuke them for bringing the sinful woman to Him or for calling her on the sin she had done. He rebuked them for their own sins! They were right in bringing the woman to Jesus as He is the one who can forgive sins and heal the broken spirit. We also, when we see one taken in sin, should not condemn a person, but rather take them to Jesus in prayer.

Certainly we can judge others, in our judging let's not condemn.

Diggindeeper
Jan 29th 2009, 03:05 AM
Try this link. I know I would only post pretty much the same as I posted in this one, so no need to repeat it all again. Here's the link:

The difference between "judging" and "calling a spade a spade" (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=153507&highlight=judging)
Posted By TransformedSon (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=28075)

minnesotaice
Jan 29th 2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the link.

I guess it has been troubling me, because on these very boards, when I have said that a behavior or lifestyle is wrong, I am accused of judging.

Also, when I decide to leave a church or fellowship with a person because I can't go along with their lifestyle, I am told that I am judging that person. I never say that someone is not a Christian, but I still get accused of judging because I don't agree with them.

CommanderRobey
Jan 29th 2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the link.

I guess it has been troubling me, because on these very boards, when I have said that a behavior or lifestyle is wrong, I am accused of judging.

Also, when I decide to leave a church or fellowship with a person because I can't go along with their lifestyle, I am told that I am judging that person. I never say that someone is not a Christian, but I still get accused of judging because I don't agree with them.
If the Bible states a lifestyle is sin, and you state that same lifestyle is sin, you are not judging... you are agreeing with the Word of God.