PDA

View Full Version : What type of Christian are you?

poochie
Jan 29th 2009, 11:51 AM
I know this is a strongly evangelical web board but I am curious as to find the conviction of folks here. If you would please volunteer this information and this will give me a better idea. I do not suspect there will be many Fundamentalist here and I suspect that I am the most conservative of the evangelicals that come close to a Fundamentalist here (but I very much could be mistaken). I am aware of several other boards like this one that Fundamentalist post on. Thanks so much.

As for me

Conservative Right Wing Evangelical. Hold to the majority of doctrines held by traditional fundamentalist, except the doctrine of ecclesiastical separation as I only believe in separating from those that teach false doctrine in a general sense. I also do not firmly hold to the the doctrine of Purity/Holiness like they do, as I do not believe that going to movies, playing cards, listening to contemporary worship, wearing pants and such are what NT Theology teaches on the doctrine of Sanctification. These are according to my books the doctrines that make one a Fundamentalist (in addition to the Fundamentals of the faith).

Its really fascinating learning about the history/distinctions of Fundamentalist and Evangelical in one of my courses this semester. One of my authors made distinctions between New-Evangelical, & Conservative Right Wing Evangelicals (like myself).

godscallministries
Jan 29th 2009, 12:33 PM
Do not confuse legalism with fundamentalism. Holding on to fundamental beliefs is not bad, it actualy is necessary (one must hold onto the fundamentals of the doctrine of salvation in order to be a Christian). However, over time, the word has become a label for those who tend to have legalistic habits, and that is unfortunate.

In addition, I have problems with the term "right wing". I am "right wing" in the area of politics, but again, this has become a negative label for religious convictions, and it should not be. We have to remember that we do not always share the same jargon.

As to your question, I am very conservative in my beliefs, but can be more contemporary in my approaches. Although, as I think about it, we often call things "contemporary" when we are actually doing things like they were done for decades or centuries. (for instance, John Wesley could be consdered contemporary for his use of new songs and certain "methods". I try to never give in to the bondage of legalism, but I try to never compromise my core beliefs. My beliefs are based on the word of God. I hold the Bible to be God inspired, and thus inerrant. Other than that, one might call me Evangelical Protestant if you really want a name for it.

I spent a lot of my early childhood in an ultra-conservative Baptist household; I learned to preach in the Pentacostal church, and I have preached and ministered more often in Methodist churches than any other.

We must also remember that we are the different parts of the body of Christ. Not everyone is a "hand" or a "foot", however, there remain core beliefs that are necessary to be Christian. The grey areas often color the labels we recieve.

Interesting question.

Yukerboy
Jan 29th 2009, 02:36 PM
Hmmm....

Ultra Conservative Fundamentalist?

That'd be my guess for me.

RabbiKnife
Jan 29th 2009, 02:37 PM
I didn't know that there were different types of Christians.

Theophilus
Jan 29th 2009, 02:45 PM
A good one...just ask anybody!

(And humble? Boy, howdy...I guess so!)

;)

threebigrocks
Jan 29th 2009, 02:54 PM
What type am I? The Christ following sort.

Labels cause us to live up to what the label says we are. Rather, let's live up to what the Spirit says we are. It's all about contents, no?

Br. Barnabas
Jan 29th 2009, 03:01 PM
I would say that I am most likely a Moderate Anglo-Catholic. I hold to the ancient Creeds of the Church. I enjoy liturgy and find it to be the best way to express my faith. I enjoy the rituals of prayer and the daily prayers laid out in the Book of Common prayer.

But I also believe that women can be priests and pastors or ministers. I don't believe that homosexuals should be clergy. I believe in apostilic secession. And that tradition should have a huge part in the life of the church and the believer.

I believe that their is freedom in Christ and that holding to a strict legalistic life style is not very benefical for the believer. Ie I smoke a pipe and drink my share of beer and liquor, even do so with my priest(s). I watch whatever type of movie I want to because I find them to be entertaining, even if there is harsh language or other adult themes because if I don't like it then I forget about it; instead of dwelling on it.

VerticalReality
Jan 29th 2009, 03:04 PM
This thread really doesn't have much of anything to do with bible chat, and I really don't see much else good coming from it either, so I'm going to close it down.