PDA

View Full Version : Jesus in the synagogue?

Followtheway
Jan 30th 2009, 03:14 PM
My question is this: Did the Jews normally let any Rabbi (in this case Jesus) come into their synagogues to teach? What is the Jewish tradition for that?

keck553
Jan 30th 2009, 04:31 PM
My question is this: Did the Jews normally let any Rabbi (in this case Jesus) come into their synagogues to teach? What is the Jewish tradition for that?

I think the term 'rabbi' is anachronistic. Probably they were called 'Torah Teachers'.

The tradition during that time was that men in the assembly were chosen to read portions of Torah and Haftorah (the prophets) which were cycled yearly and continue to this day. I imagine Yeshua had quite a reputation as a great Torah teacher. The Gospels tells us about one of these evernts when He read the portion of Isaiah that pointed right at Him. He was probably randomly chosen by the congregation leader to read that portion, which is a miricle in itself. His comment was unusual, as anyone who did a reading stuck to teh content of the Scripture and reserved commentary for congregation leader, who usually did a 'd'rash', or teaching.

I think most held Him with high esteem, especially the Hillel sect of Pharaisees, even in Jersusalem. Of course that changed when Yeshua convicted them of their own brand of replacement theology.