PDA

View Full Version : Taking up the cross

wtj
Feb 1st 2009, 12:59 PM
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; Heb. 5:8 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Heb. 5:9

And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Phil. 2:8

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: 1Pet. 2:21

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Mark 8:34

(to humble oneself and become obedient unto death) even the death of the cross

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospelís, the same shall save it. Mark 8:35

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. Mark 10:21

(that one become separated from the world - trusting only in god - without cares of this life)

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Matt. 6:25

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1John 3:16

-------

Sirus
Feb 2nd 2009, 06:53 AM
OK, what did Jesus mean 'take up the cross'?
Did he mean 'die' to self even though he said 'deny' self.
Did he mean take no thought for your physical life as we see in all the verses above and Paul physically dying daily?

Borean
Feb 2nd 2009, 07:06 AM
I believe taking up the cross is doing something you do not have to do. Suffering for your own sin is not taking up a cross per se, nor is doing the right thing much of a time...Christ did not *have* to suffer for us (although some question if he would have been welcome back to heaven if he had not...don't ask me) service, suffering for the benefit of others, that is what I see as taking up one's cross, and we are required to do that. Anyone who sees the good he could do and does not do it, sins...and how far does that go...obviously we have neither the time nor means to do everything, and HF does and he does not sometimes for our benefit.
Do we give till it hurts, and how much shoud it hurt?
I think each of us have our own calling and need to find our own answers and joy in that answer.

Kudo Shinichi
Feb 2nd 2009, 01:55 PM
And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Mark 8:34
-------
Taking the cross daily (doesn't mean physical wooden cross but it could be other...) is to deny himself an act of obedience to GOD...to whatever you do...you must pray to GOD to give wisdom to follow him more and more.