PDA

View Full Version : Is the victory is Amillennialism?

Joyfulparousia
Feb 1st 2009, 01:00 PM
In the postmillennial view we see the saints filling the earth with glorious gospel, conquering the woes of sinful man through the blood of Christ, and ultimately prevailing over the culture of man to establish a glorious social order of the kingdom of God.

In the premillennial view we see the saints enduring the tribulation of Antichrist and boldly withstanding the wrath of Satan with great joy and power. Overcoming darkness by the blood of Lamb, the word of their testimony, and loving not their lives even unto death; and finally receiving eternal reward for their faithfulness finding honor seated with Christ on earth for 1000 years. They are victorious in death, as Christ was, and are glorified and given authority over the nations and angels.

In the amillennial view the saints do not seem to prevail over the global society or culture of wickedness that has prevailed over man in any substantial way . These saints preach the Kingdom now and will do so until some unknown event that will signal the beginning of "Satan's little season." After Satan deceives the nations that the Amillennialist has fought to persuade for the last 2000 years, fire comes down from heaven and consumes the Lord's enemies. Then final judgement is committed by the Lord, the New Jerusalem descends, and in about 3 days what was a sin-soaked world is now blissful eternity. The saints receive a heavenly reward that we can't understand right now and continue on into eternity of which little is known.

This is of course is all my opinion. I am curious to what substantial motivation is there for living faithful to the Lord according to amil doctrine?

Jesus motivated His disciples according to their eternal reward. He said in Luke 19 if they were [I]"faithful in very little, [they would] have authority over ten cities." Why would the Lord instruct us in something that wouldn't movitate us to obedience?

quiet dove
Feb 1st 2009, 07:57 PM
This is of course is all my opinion. I am curious to what substantial motivation is there for living faithful to the Lord according to amil doctrine?

I'm not amil, I am pre trib, but I am not sure why you are asking this question, would not the motivation of amil be that they are saved by Grace, love their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and long to serve Him and be with Him, reguardless of all else?

We have life in Christ, we love Him because He first loved us, I'm thinking that applies to amil folks too and their motivation is the Spirit in their heart, their love for Christ, their desire to see souls saved.

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand the logic of your question as end time view does not really determine ones "motivation", would not the in dwelling Holy Spirit, His teaching, the Word, Life, and desire to please our God be motivation - from pre trib to amil alike and everyone inbetween?

Psalms Fan
Feb 1st 2009, 08:36 PM
I honestly fail to understand how eschatology would be a motivation for holy living and evangelism. I'm an amillenialist, but I don't see what that means for day-to-day living (nor do I see how the other millenial views affect either). Christ died and rose from the dead to give us new life. If Christ is in us and the Spirit is living in us, then we'll bear fruit and have a passion to see people know Christ as well. At some point in the future, either we'll die or Christ will return. Either we'll suffer a lot or we won't. But I've never understood the logic that one particular view of end times gives more or less motivation for living a christ-like life.

MacGyver
Feb 2nd 2009, 01:18 AM
In the postmillennial view we see the saints filling the earth with glorious gospel, conquering the woes of sinful man through the blood of Christ, and ultimately prevailing over the culture of man to establish a glorious social order of the kingdom of God.

In the premillennial view we see the saints enduring the tribulation of Antichrist and boldly withstanding the wrath of Satan with great joy and power. Overcoming darkness by the blood of Lamb, the word of their testimony, and loving not their lives even unto death; and finally receiving eternal reward for their faithfulness finding honor seated with Christ on earth for 1000 years. They are victorious in death, as Christ was, and are glorified and given authority over the nations and angels.

In the amillennial view the saints do not seem to prevail over the global society or culture of wickedness that has prevailed over man in any substantial way . These saints preach the Kingdom now and will do so until some unknown event that will signal the beginning of "Satan's little season." After Satan deceives the nations that the Amillennialist has fought to persuade for the last 2000 years, fire comes down from heaven and consumes the Lord's enemies. Then final judgement is committed by the Lord, the New Jerusalem descends, and in about 3 days what was a sin-soaked world is now blissful eternity. The saints receive a heavenly reward that we can't understand right now and continue on into eternity of which little is known.

Jesus motivated His disciples according to their eternal reward. He said in Luke 19 if they were [I]"faithful in very little, [they would] have authority over ten cities." Why would the Lord instruct us in something that wouldn't movitate us to obedience?I don't really understand the question, other than amillenialism is not exciting enough for you. Granted, it may not be as exciting as those who scream Armageddon everytime there is an earthquake, volcano, or war, and then writes a book about how the world is about to end.

ScottJohnson
Feb 2nd 2009, 03:10 AM

Jesus motivated His disciples according to their eternal reward. He said in Luke 19 if they were [I]"faithful in very little, [they would] have authority over ten cities." Why would the Lord instruct us in something that wouldn't movitate us to obedience?
I have to agree with the three previous posters. I'm pretty much missing the logic to this thread. From where I'm standing, it would appear that these inquiries are based specifically on a personal disdain for the a-millennial doctrine.

I personally have always found eternity and my participation in it as a very appealing motivation for living my life for Christ. To be honest with you, I find it odd that people such as yourself, would place eternity in the back seat to a 1,000 more years of sin and death.

Joyfulparousia
Feb 2nd 2009, 01:15 PM
How did Jesus motivate His disciples to obedience?

ScottJohnson
Feb 2nd 2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not really sure what you're fishing for in this question, but the first thing that came to me was this;

From this time many of His disciples went away into the things behind, and no longer walked with Him. Therefore, Jesus said to the Twelve, Do you also wish to go? Then Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the Words of everlasting life.
(Joh 6:66-68)

David Taylor
Feb 2nd 2009, 03:35 PM

The Amill viewpoint varies none from the Premill viewpoint in regards to how Jesus motivated His disciples to obedience. They were motivated through their faith and belief and love for Him.

"And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him." Mark 1:17

"I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." John 6:35, 51

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."8:12

"This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep." John 21:14

John146
Feb 2nd 2009, 06:03 PM

Jesus motivated His disciples according to their eternal reward. He said in Luke 19 if they were [I]"faithful in very little, [they would] have authority over ten cities." Why would the Lord instruct us in something that wouldn't movitate us to obedience?Amils are looking forward to eternity with the Lord in the new heavens and on the new earth. Like Peter says in 2 Peter 3:13, we look forward to the new heavens and new earth "wherein dwelleth righteousness". A place where there is only righteousness and no more wickedness. No more death, pain or sorrow. Isn't that enough motivation? I think it's a lot more motivation than hoping and waiting for a millennial kingdom at the end of which a number as the sand of the sea is deceived.

I'm with everyone else in not understanding what your point was in creating this thread.

quiet dove
Feb 2nd 2009, 08:12 PM

Love.

One can be of any end time view, and without love, we aint got squat. :hug:

Motivation comes from, as I said, He first loved us. No particular end time view creates the love of Christ in our hearts, only the Spirit, only being covered in Christ atoning blood, covered by His righteousness can make our hearts change. Only being purified by the Word can create in us a new man.

One could have all the prophecy in the Bible figured out perfectly, more perfectly than any other human being, and without the love of Christ in their heart, they aint got squat.

Like I said, I am not even amil, I'm pre trib, but neither them or me or the post tribbers havhe anything with out Christ in our hearts, and Christ in our hearts is our motivation, not our end times views/understandings.

theBelovedDisciple
Feb 4th 2009, 04:36 PM

He told them and commanded them Watch and Pray... watch for His Return... as He ascended on the clouds .. He will return on the clouds.. in Glory and Power.. with His saints and the armies of Heaven...

watch therefore. for the Son of Man will come in a time when you least expect it...

Even Paul expressed the desire of the Saints... waiting and 'looking' for that Blessed Hope.. His Glorious Return.. which is my HOPE... its an expectation... based on Hope and Faith in His Promise... 100% Trust in Him and that His Word is True.. and I know its True..

that He will not leave us alone.. but that He will come and Recieve His Own unto Himself.. that where He is .. we will be also.. beholding His Glory which was given to Him before the foundation of the World..

He also stated again that ye must watch and pray.. and pray that ye may be counted worthy to stand before the Son of Man and escape those things that are coming to this earth...

and His Promise... is that those who are watching and waiting and 'looking' for Him and His return is that He will 'keep' them... from the Hour of Temptation.. which shall come upon them that dwell on the earth.. and it will come and 'spring' like the jaws of a trap.. and they will not escape...

and again I say ... 'Watch therefore'.............